Chapter Five- Rhiannon (Part Three)

Chapter Five- Rhiannon (Part Three)

A Chapter by Rachel Hanne
"

This chapter is kinda sorta filler, I might add more to it. All of what you are going to read is based off of true events that have occurred in my life and someone else's (anonymous).

"

Rhiannon

 

 

 

            A familiar liquid filled my eyes, blurring my vision.  I walked at a fast pace, and my legs proved to me how out of shape I was as they tightened in anguish from my thighs to my calves. People passed me and I glanced away in the direction opposite of their gaze. I kicked small pebbles in my path, with a small smile accompanied by a curt nod in acknowledgement. No one saw me cry.  I was any other person. I was a stranger to them, just as they were strangers to me. I was insignificant-only a quick image of their day. No one cared, or bothered to question my distress. I thought at least one to a few of them had to see. Someone had to notice I was upset. In reality people don't care about anyone's problems but their own, I thought. Why bother with it? Everyone judges everyone else on how they react to their current situation. They are either always overemotional, or not emotional enough to their troubles . They think automatically, that the person they are judging is always a certain way. People are too busy doing that sort of thing, instead of helping. Don't they know that someone else is most likely judging them too? Talking about what their flaws are, and picking out their good points and bad? I never did that. I couldn't understand why anybody else would. Or maybe no one means anything when they talk about others in such a way. Maybe their just talking to talk.

            I continued kicking the small rocks on the sidewalk before me in a rather careless manner. They unevenly rolled into the cracks bouncing this way and that, stopping abruptly where the sidewalk faulted. They wouldn't move until someone else kicked them. I always liked doing those sorts of small things. If I returned a week later, the small rock would be right where I left it. Nothing would make it change unless it was defiled by a force. Before me was a crossing between a remote street, and an old parking lot behind a white brick building that read on the side, 'Cantrell & Sons', an old car mechanic shop. The font's paint was fading due to the weathering, and it reflected to me, the past. Nothing really made it change. The font was still the same as it was thirty years prior. It was probably a brighter blue color, with no shrubs overgrowing next to the building, but nothing of it turned out to be dramatically different. I stood there silently, hair blowing across my now expressionless face, listening to my mind as it whispered questions. I wonder what people think, when they pass this old place. Maybe someone had their first kiss there, or perhaps their first job. Do they remember the now vacant lots around it, full of business when this area was in its heyday? Do they remember passing it everyday to work, seeing the damaged cars go inside in the morning, and outside and ready when they returned home? Do people get sudden reminders in no relation to what is before them? The blue font had reminded me of Bobby's eyes. They were always so energetic, and excited. Now I'd never see his eyes again. I could remember them,  but I could never see them. Sooner or later the memory of them would fade. Just like the paint.

            Much to my surprise, and an interruption to my thoughts,  a skinny, almost twig shaped man was sitting below the blue font in the trunk of his Pontiac El Camino. The weight of the trash and clutter along with all the clothes he had,  shifted the back of the car downwards, to about the middle portion of the tire. He was eating a bag of chips, bending downward, giving some to the birds that were begging with their loud voices. I saw a cluster of clothes and food through the passenger window of the car. I recalled several times when I was little, we walked down the old street, and we'd sometimes see the overflowing car in the same parking lot.

            "Mommy!" I'd shout, "Look at that! See that car? It's so messy. Why would someone put that much in their car mommy?" She'd cover my mouth and walk me along to wherever we were going, with a firm scolding afterwards about what to say out loud, and what not to say. Since then I had learned more of the strenuous life of being so poor. Especially when I had met Claire, who slept on an unstable bed crammed into the walk-in closet of her mom and dad's room, and living off of food stamps. Some people I knew at school didn't even know what food stamps were. Claire always broke out in one of her rants when people couldn't understand, and were ignorant to the conditions in living such disarray.

             I jumped when the homeless man looked up towards me. My mom had a friend that tried helping a homeless man find a job, and when her friend drove him around to look at hiring businesses, he almost killed her. He took her money, and ran. Ever since I had heard of that story, I had been extremely apprehensive to the homeless, but nonetheless felt  resonating pangs of guilt, even days after ignoring their pleas. The skinny man waved to me. I felt my blood race, but I saw no harm in this man from his kind greeting.  I can't judge him, I thought.  Who wants to be a hypocrite? I rummaged through my purse, searching for my wallet that contained ten dollars. Doing this as I walked, my fear began to fade away. The man smiled at me.

            "Good afternoon...do you need something?" He asked with a raised eye brow of befuddle. I didn't say anything in response. I felt the paper of the money, and held it out for him to take from me. I felt my anxiety slowly returning to me, shaking my outstretched arm.

            "Is...is that for me?" I nodded to him quickly, sticking it into his palm. Words escaped my mouth.

            "Get something to eat with that. It's for you. Living off of chips is bad for you." I saw tears start to form in his eyes, and he tried blinking them away.

            "I...I don't know what to say... Thank you." He looked left and right, and started to dig into his pile of miscellany. "Wait..." He paused. "Do you like trains at all kid?" Unsure of what to say, and obliged to answer, I stood quiet for a second.

            "Yes...sure.  Trains are neat."

            "Then I have a something for you."

The man got out of his cluttered truck, and went into his car that had a similar scenario of appearance.  I saw him toss things out of the car, and it shook as he dug through all the litter and clothing. He came out of the car, holding a small child's toy. It was a train noise maker. I wanted to laugh, but I kept it in, containing my composure. He handed it to me.  Tears were running down his cheeks, stumbling in his middle age wrinkles and scratchy beard, and fell onto his tattered brown shirt; shading  it to black where the they landed.

            "There ya go. That's something you can annoy your parents with."

            "I think I do that enough, but more wouldn't hurt." He laughed.

            "Don't be too mean to them! They've raised a fine young lady. I wish my kids were like you. They're all living it up in L.A. I think they may have forgotten about me.  If you don't mind, I might get some feed for these fellows here." He pointed at the birds hopping around, still searching and pleading him for food. I shrugged, and was at a loss of what to say.

            "Well...You are going to get some for yourself...Right?"

            "Yes of course I am. But these guys are hungry too. They don't have a home. They always hang around me, and they never leave. I just can't let them starve."

            "Oh." I looked at my feet again, shaking my leg back and forth. "Well, before I go, what's your name sir?"

            "Me? My name is Barry. How about you?"

            "I'm Rhiannon."

            "Rhiannon, huh? Like that new song by Fleetwood Mac or something! What a nice name."

            "Yes, and thank you."

            "Oh, you're a shy one. I won't keep you. Go along to whatever you were doing. You made my week you know. Heck, maybe even my month!"

            "I'm glad to hear that." I smiled. It felt good to smile. "I will see you around I guess. Nice meeting you." I waved as I began walking back to the side walk.

            "God bless!" He shouted back with a wave, tears still streaming down his face. I stuffed the new item he dispensed to me into my bag, and readjusted the strap to hang more comfortably on my shoulder. I wanted to give my acquaintance more, and I had the urge to go get some of our food and bring it back to him. Barry was so skinny. He was tall too. I bet he even weighed about as much as me. I decided I wouldn't tell my mom about him. She would be so scared and mad at me. She'd scold me like I was five years old again.  I couldn't understand why Barry's own children could leave him, and let him live a life like that. There is no reason why he has to live that way, I thought. I would be so thankful to have such a nice dad as him, if I were his kids. I'd let him have half of my money. I envied his children. I assumed they were at least young adults, but they deserved the title of "children".

            On a New Year's Eve when I was four years old, and when Bobby was nine,  my mom and dad dragged us along to a New Years party at a friends house. They stayed in the living room with all their friends, and Bobby and me sat at the avocado green kitchen table by ourselves drawing multiple pictures for mom and dad.  Laughs and voices bounced off the walls and into our ears. I eavesdropped on their conversations, but I wasn't always sure of what they were talking about. Nonetheless, I was content. I had my own comfortable silence of the room, with my big brother and background noise. I was scared someone was going to come in and check on us. I was afraid I'd get scolded for an unknown reason by our dad. I did not want to be disturbed. The Mickey Mouse clock on the wall hit 12:00.

            '"Happy New Year!" 'People shouted, drunk and obnoxious. I predicted that my parents were going to come in and tell both of us it was time to leave. I dropped my crayons, and pretended to be asleep. I recognized my moms soft footsteps coming towards me, and I was glad it was her. She lifted me up over her shoulder, and grabbed the car keys that were sitting on the sink. I heard dad's heavy walk enter the kitchen.

            '"Wait, we're not leaving are we?"'

            "Yes, we are."

            "What is wrong with you? It's a party. We're supposed to stay late."

            '"Yeah well you always overstay your welcome. It's so rude. Rhiannon needs sleep, I still regret bringing her."'

           '"What the hell is going with you Christine?" His voice was raising, and his speech was becoming sloppy. '"You never want to go to parties or do anything we used to do. You used to be fun to hang around, and now you're like an old maid.'"

            '"Well, hate to break it to you, but  I grew up. And apparently, you still seem to be having trouble with that. It's time you do your part as a parent and think about your kid instead of your stupid parties."'

            '"You can't tell me what to do! Take care of her by yourself for all I care."'

            '"We'll talk about this in the car. '" Mom's voice spoke disappointment, and extreme hurt. I felt the up and down movement as my mom descended down a flight of stairs. My dad's anger was radiating off towards her, as he followed closely behind, and I heard Bobby scrambling to catch up.  The cold wind instantly made my cheeks rosy, and my entire body cold. I didn't get a winter coat yet. We didn't even really have a Christmas. Mom set me in the back seat of the car, and turned on the heater for me. Bobby came in and sat next to me, and I felt the weight of a quilted blanket covering my body to make me warm. Mom slammed the door shut. I could hear the muffled shouts of my parents through the fogging glass, and I peeked to see my dad's threatening motions and comments he was throwing at her.

            '"Don't look outside."' Bobby whispered. Mom demanded that we'd go to the store to get a winter coat for me. Dad continued shouting, but finally gave in. I felt the closing of car doors, and the car start up. I felt the motion of driving for about ten minutes, and we came to a long halt. I opened my eyes slightly to see the bright Wal-Mart sign, and my mom running in. Dad grunted, cursing to himself, and talking about what a burden we were to him. I hoped he didn't mean it. He always called me his best friend. I thought that was what I was to him. I felt the car start, and I felt it move backwards.

            '"Dad, what are you doing?"' Bobby asked, frightened.   

            '"Shut up. I'm going to freak your mom out a bit."' Bobby slouched down next to me, and whispered again,

            '"Don't look no matter what."' After about ten or so more minutes, I felt the car lurch forward at a fast speed. I heard a high shrill scream, that I recognized was my mommy's. The car stopped fast, and I nearly fell onto the floor of the car. The passenger door opened again, and my dad was laughing.

            '"You should have seen your face."'

            '"You a*****e! Oh my God you're freaking insane!" Mom screamed at him, cursing and shrieking at the top of her lungs. She got in, closing the door, and she gently tossed my brand new coat back to Bobby. The whole way home they were yelling and screaming at each other.

My dad won the award for the most apathetic. He was gone from our lives three days after that. I never wanted to see him again. I was happy with the bracelet he gave me. I wanted to remember him for what I thought he was, instead of what he really was.



© 2012 Rachel Hanne


Author's Note

Rachel Hanne
I might change this later. Kinda sorta filler. I may do something with Barry in the future.
Let me know the good and bad!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This chapter is much different than the others.
It's less exciting, which i think is necessary for every story. This chapter really gets into Rhiannon's mind and allows the reader to really understand this character you've created.
You put in a lot of deep thoughts, an interesting move. I see how you want to keep a somber mood. Now Rhiannon is coming across as a deeper person, along with a dark history. I love the development you have going on here. This chapter is well written it looks like you've revised it scrutinizingly. A pleasure to read!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachel Hanne

11 Years Ago

Thank you! Yeah I can't have something exciting every chapter, then there wouldn't be much to look f.. read more
KillerWithWords

11 Years Ago

I know exactly how that feels. But hey, you develop your character and then poof, you can do whateve.. read more
Rachel Hanne

11 Years Ago

Yep exactly! :D



Reviews

It's good. ^_^ Rhiannon is great, and you're super at telling her story!! Usually filler is kinda boring, but I really liked this. :) Especially the flashback. (; Awesome job! :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is really different. I love how you say things without actually saying them, like "A familier liquid filled my eyes, blurring my vision" most people would have just said, "tears filled my eyes'. I like the charactors you have created, and how it flows. You can really understand them, and understand the story. Wonderful write. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very good Rachel. This is a great chapter to your book. it fills the readers in.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This chapter is much different than the others.
It's less exciting, which i think is necessary for every story. This chapter really gets into Rhiannon's mind and allows the reader to really understand this character you've created.
You put in a lot of deep thoughts, an interesting move. I see how you want to keep a somber mood. Now Rhiannon is coming across as a deeper person, along with a dark history. I love the development you have going on here. This chapter is well written it looks like you've revised it scrutinizingly. A pleasure to read!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachel Hanne

11 Years Ago

Thank you! Yeah I can't have something exciting every chapter, then there wouldn't be much to look f.. read more
KillerWithWords

11 Years Ago

I know exactly how that feels. But hey, you develop your character and then poof, you can do whateve.. read more
Rachel Hanne

11 Years Ago

Yep exactly! :D
The part about the homeless man made me cry, literally. I love the way that you describe how the parents' feeling! Amazing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachel Hanne

11 Years Ago

Thanks! Aw, I am happy it made you feel so moved :)Hard work does pay off! yay!
s y e

11 Years Ago

Yes it did and hard work does pay off!
This is fantastic! the part about the homeless man made me cry. You are a great writer! I love the ways that you describe how the parents' feelings reflect in their appearances! great job can't wait for more!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachel Hanne

11 Years Ago

Thank you Emily! Aw, don't cry! *gives you a hug*. I really appreciate your compliments!
Emily Michael

11 Years Ago

No prob, hun.
awe:( the homeless guy part made me tear up a bit,, it was such a good chapter. the parents fighting reminded me of how my mom and dad fought before getting a divorce. Cant wait to read more. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Britt

11 Years Ago

Thats terrible. I would not want to see that happen when I was that young! well im glad you put the .. read more
Rachel Hanne

11 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words :)
Yeah, you think to yourself sometimes 'is anyone really that .. read more
Britt

11 Years Ago

You're very welcome:) and yeah i wonder that too. and sadly it is indeed true. i dont like people li.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

449 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 24, 2012
Last Updated on December 24, 2012
Tags: homeless, barry, rhia, sad, tears, we, are, the, confound, story, chapter, cars, new years


Author

Rachel Hanne
Rachel Hanne

Somewhere in, MO



About
I obviously enjoy writing, and I am a band geek. That should tell you enough :) more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Rachel Hanne



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Burns Burns

A Poem by Baby Ricochet


The Girl The Girl

A Poem by }Echo{