A Study of Oliver

A Study of Oliver

A Poem by RachelWroteIt
"

A poem dedicated to the author's eldest son.

"

I see you, son.

I see you standing on that brink

Between boyhood and manhood.

I see you wear your vanilla blond hair

In a man’s cut now, and carefully gel it over, just right.

No more little boy bowl cuts for you.

I see a gaining understanding in your pool-blue eyes.

But your cheek still has the soft curve of a child’s.

I see your jack o lantern mouth of teeth, not yet suited to your face.

I see the braces, the hallmark of adolescence.

I see your hands, telegraphing how big of man you stand to become- And I see the scribbled handwriting become smaller, but no more legible.

I see your shoes, another sign that you will be a tall and strapping figure, Lined neatly in the hall.

I see you.

I see your perfect, unmarked and unfathomably white skin.

You have no facial hair yet. You will likely not have much. Our people don’t.

I see your skinny shoulder blades and collarbones and know you have not yet filled out- but I can see how you will.

I hear your voice become deeper, your childhood speech impediments fading, your vocabulary growing, your understanding increasing.

I see you.

I see the books scattered around your bedroom grow thicker.

No more pictures.

I see your artwork become more detailed.

You color within the lines now.

I see you.

I see you fling your red jacket over your shoulder, so cool- And I see your favorite soft toy tucked up under your arm- a solider not ready to abandon its captain- and you, a captain not leaving a man behind.

I see you.

I see you sitting on the floor with your sister, Letting her stick bows in your hair.

I see you will be a good father.

I see you toss a card that would win you a game under the table So your brother can win just one hand- And I see you have a great sense of compassion.

I see you greet an older woman with your hand out, saying How do you do?

I see you sliding a dollar bill across a counter to the man who just gave you a garnished sprite and saying This is for you, my good man.

I see your natural charm that will carry you far I see you.

I see you run out to meet me when I come home, to carry in groceries and bags.

I see you taking a basket of laundry downstairs for me Let me carry that, mom.

I see you.

I see you stepping between two boys in an argument.

I see you stepping between a bully, bigger than you- and your brother.

I watch you not hit him. I watch you diffuse the situation with words, and never have to raise your fist.

I see you.

And I’m proud.

 

© 2019 RachelWroteIt


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

20 Views
Added on October 3, 2019
Last Updated on October 3, 2019
Tags: pride, love, children, boys, sons

Author

RachelWroteIt
RachelWroteIt

Eagle Mountain, UT



About
Hello! I am a writer and poet, and the single mother to two young boys and a little girl with very special needs. I am a feminist, an advocate for domestic violence survivors, a supporter of destigm.. more..

Writing