Turns Out

Turns Out

A Poem by Rachell R. Taylor

 

Turns out, my life fits in a 10x8 box. Nobody will turn their heads if I slip off the premises. Okay then. My daughter - my co-pilot - will ask where home is only twenty three times and my unlucky black cat, will channel my probable fortune the entire way, purring at 70 miles per hour (you brave little thing).

 

Turns out, me, the elder sister of beautiful naïve brat I love so much, is actually a Mormon mafia Welsh/Irish youngest of three, and my nose matches those of strangers, my cup size is common and I share the same hands with my nephew; nice to meet you.

 

Turns out, I can condense my twenty boxes of belongings to four and some books ( I could never rid myself of you dears). A home will never be my home until the last box is gone. The future sings promising lies; unpacking is a reward, not a humiliation. I wish to fight returning to the starting line, but I was choking on my last run. Even now the air is getting thick; my scour for the exit proves vain. There’s no shame in squirming for under pressure. Or so I tell myself.

 

Turns out, family welcomes me back with hard smiles and sighs, and the only comfort I can gather is the warmth of he and she, my two sanctuaries against the cold (You stayed the night with me, I’m forever grateful). Someday soon I hope there are no boxes to carry, full of burden and mistakes. Goodnight house, I’ll see you soon Home.

© 2008 Rachell R. Taylor


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved this..I understand hating it...I think we all hate pieces from time to time (or all the time) sometimes it takes a while for me to understand why anyone likes the piece. Let it sink in. This reminded me of an album of B&W photos- sharp and revealing.

My daughter [my co-pilot], will ask where home is only twenty three times and my unlucky black cat will channel my probable fortune the entire way, purring at 70 miles per hour (you brave little thing).

(my 2nd favorite part..the cat made me think Zoom... (black cats are never unlucky...lol))

Someday soon I hope there are no boxes to carry, full of burden and mistakes. Goodnight house, I'll see you soon Home.

(favorite part...reminded me of one day...there will be no more moving to and fro')


Posted 17 Years Ago


yeah, i love your style -- not a false note struck in any piece of yours that i have read. interesting how it seems at once a delicate balance where if one thing were out of place it might not work and at times the distillation of the resilience of memory. you have captured firing synapses and thw web of association that knits together a life -- this was beautiful.

Posted 17 Years Ago


i love this piece.

love the informative seamingly random yet necessary lines:
my cup size is common, and I share the same hands with my nephew; nice to meet you.

i understand this more than i can say. the concept of home is one i am still trying to grasp.

thanks

Posted 17 Years Ago


crazy cool...i like it...its got a prespective that is extraordinarily unique and yet delightful to read. i alos love the abstract change of direction midsentence that you do so well here. It is very compelling and very assuring the entire time. a voice is so clear and so correspondent to the reader...beautiful...

Posted 17 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 26, 2008

Author

Rachell R. Taylor
Rachell R. Taylor

Everett, WA



About
22, living in Lynnwood, Washington. Mother of a little mess of curls named Eisling. Aspiring writer and photographer, and here seeking some opinions from people better at this than she. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..