Green-Eyed Monster

Green-Eyed Monster

A Story by Rachie B
"

Just a short one I did for the Chris Evans 500 Word Competition... It didn't get in sadly, but congrats to all those that did!!

"

The forest is bathed in ethereal light: strange, beautiful patterns cast upon the soft, cushiony floor. She walks slowly. The sun shines on the trees, filtering through the leaves.

 

Everything is green.

 

Sounds of nature surround her. A bird sings its song; delicate notes ringing through the air.

 

She spots something glinting ahead.

 

She wanders towards it, her feet moving gracefully across the emerald moss.

 

It is a small, perfectly circular pond. The water like a sheet of glass; unbroken.

 

She sees her reflection. It’s like looking into a mirror. Warm, brown eyes look into another identical pair. 


She bends so far over it she is almost horizontal over the water.

 

She extends a finger, and lightly touches the surface of the water.

 

Instantly a wave of ripples spread out from the contact, skating over the pool. Her body is distorted in the water.

 

She waits for the stillness to return. When it does, she gasps.

 

Her reflection has changed. It is a minute difference in her expression; it is now emotionless, staring blankly ahead with cold eyes.

 

She shivers, a frosty breeze dragging an icy finger down her spine. Startled, she glances around her. The sunlight has faded. The trees seem unfriendly, eerily waving in the bitter wind.

 

She fearfully looks back to her reflection, and the breath leaves her lungs.

 

Her eyes; those chocolate orbs, are now shining emeralds. They are sharp, calculating. She looks closer into the water, afraid.

 

Her reflection sneers back at her. It is more beautiful than the reality.

 

It is her, and at the same time, infinitely not. She feels a pang; the beauty of the person in the water is exquisite.

 

She leans even closer, directly over the pool. Her attention is all on the eyes.

 

Striking, terrifying eyes.

 

Then suddenly from behind her comes a huge gust of air. It sweeps her forward. She teeters perilously, before falling into her twisted reflection.


She plunges into the freezing water. She thrashes her arms and legs, tries to stay afloat. The chill sets in. Eyes start fighting to stay open. Can’t seem to move her flailing limbs anymore. Falling; falling under the surface.

 

Her eyes slide closed, succumbing; she is sinking into the blackness…

 

---

 

She shudders.

 

Shivering, she sits up in bed.

 

She aches after the face, the eyes of her reflection. So beautiful.

 

Her sister has lovely long locks. A twisted smile grows as she pictures her sibling crying in despair as she clutches her short, shorn hair.

 

She grabs the scissors off her table as she makes for the door, catching sight of herself in the mirror.

 

She sneers at her reflection. But… is it really hers?

 

She touches her perfect cheek. The shockingly beautiful person in the mirror with the taunting emerald eyes also does so.

 

She isn’t sure she likes the new her. The new her who would deliberately hurt someone.

 

She wishes for her old appearance back. The plain, simple one.

 

She closes her eyes, then reopens them. Warm, brown eyes greet her.

© 2012 Rachie B


Author's Note

Rachie B
Please comment!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Strange and awesome. The formatting is great and so in the description.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The nice blend of dark and phrasing balances like the perfect amount of Whiskey in a Jack and Coke. Goes down just as smooth.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That was rather interesting. I like how it starts off like a utopia then all I the sudden it goes dark. That was very nice to read. Good job! :)
-Aud

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is great! Very mysterious, and you captured the essence of what you wanted to write and portrayed it nicely. :) Well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

333 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 1, 2012
Last Updated on May 1, 2012
Tags: Jealousy

Author

Rachie B
Rachie B

Derbyshire, United Kingdom



About
Hello! Rachel here :) I am a reader, first and foremost. Books are my food! :) I write original stories, and try very hard with them... Please leave a comment if you like my stories :) more..

Writing
The Victims The Victims

A Story by Rachie B


Play With Me Play With Me

A Story by Rachie B