This Bleeding Storm

This Bleeding Storm

A Poem by Rachel Grace

Two ships arc and blaze 
Gold and Silver sails unfurled 
or maybe we're just drunk 
on the bloodied whispers of this World. 

You beat upon the Waves 
to ease the blackness of your heart.
But every blow is a heartbeat 
driving us apart.

I am not your Echo. 
I won't sing your twisted song. 
These are not the answers. 
This Place is not where you belong. 

Sometimes a blue and green star
follow different paths
with no answers to the questions 
of how long the Pain will last. 

This world demands that you shatter 
in a hail-fall of glass,
but will you dance with me in our broken Storm
or wait for it to pass? 

There can be such beauty 
even if Sun and Moon collide.
So I see no reason we should bow to them.
Why should royalty have to hide? 

© 2015 Rachel Grace


Author's Note

Rachel Grace
I think this may be one of the most emotional things I've written in a while.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Terrific imagery and like everyone else, loved the not so perfect rhyming scheme. Sort of like how humans can never be perfect, right? keep up the good work!

Posted 8 Years Ago


This is absolutely beautiful...I'm speechless...

Posted 8 Years Ago


very emotional piece....I like the way the rhyming is slightly off..makes it feel lkie waves hitting you...an unstoppable force :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rachel Grace

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much :)
Normally I hate rhyming poems, but I found this one very effective, so kudos for that. I think the key to making a rhyme scheme work is to make it less noticeable than the images and prose you present, and you did that here. Only having two lines per stanza rhyme was a good idea. The first stanza immediately hooked me. In fact, it's one of the better stanzas in a rhyming poem that I've seen on WC in the 8 years I've been here. I might get rid of "the" in the last line of the first stanza, just to make the line more metrically similar to its rhyming antecedent. In the second stanza, I think the first couplet has far more syllables than the second, and so that negatively monkeys with the rhythm and meter a bit. I love the thematic continuation from the first stanza though. The last two stanzas are cash money, I love 'em. The fourth stanza seems a bit out of place though, both in terms of the theme of the rest of the poem, as well as the style and elegance of language used. It might also be because you include first person language in each of the other 5 stanzas (we're, us, I, me, we, etc;), but not in this one. I think you could probably remove it entirely, but if you wanted to keep it, I'd suggest putting some first person language in. As it stands now, it kind of interrupts the "me vs/and you" nature of the poem to present a concept that exists in other parts of the poem. Like I said though, easily one of the strongest rhyming poems I've read on here! :)

Edit: Also, I was curious about the seemingly random capitalizations in the poem. I understand the capitalization of echo, but I was curious what you had in mind with the others?

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rachel Grace

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the review. I know the rhyme scheme is a little rough, but I wrote this in about 15 mi.. read more
A very beautiful poem. I was on top deck watching this storm you have created roll in. Keep up the good work.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

420 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 26, 2015
Last Updated on February 26, 2015
Tags: bleeding, sun, moon, king, queen, love

Author

Rachel Grace
Rachel Grace

About
Follow my writing on Instagram: @freedomstarvedconfessions Hello all fellow writers :) I am a seventeen year old aspiring writer of novels, short stories, and poetry. I consider myself to be mostly.. more..

Writing