Unravel

Unravel

A Chapter by Raef C. Boylan

 

I laughed when you tore
the Sun’s astrology pages
into strips of confetti,
and flung their false sentiments
from the balcony,
where they settled in muddy puddles
like marooned white petals
soaking up filth.
 
Delighted by your encyclopaedic
recall for facts, dates, explanations –
I would lean over your shoulder,
a vague toddler;
asking and finger-jabbing
as you doodled diagrams
on beer mats.
 
We’d switch off the History Channel
half-way through documentaries,
knowing you had already gone
beyond their bite-size range
and could expand upon it all
with greater finesse.
The television became
a discarded object
towards which all our furniture
had mysteriously gravitated…
 
It was unnerving, to be this sudden
symbol of exposed ignorance;
a precarious flamingo
with no leg to stand on
as knowledge stampeded through
each one of my barren gorges.
Even the admitted-to gaps in your wisdom
offered little hope for a future
in which we erected bridges across them;
 
I was too far behind,
could only gather
the dust and olive branches
marking your trail
whilst you galloped ahead
in search of bigger and better materials.
I took refuge, “as-per-f*****g-always”
in shelves of fiction – something you,
lacking imagination,
continued to dismiss
as a compete waste of time.
 
It wasn’t just a need to be
sucked into alternative dimensions;
it was to convince myself
that aspirations of becoming a literary intellectual,
if nothing else, were within reach. Worlds where
you couldn’t follow – refused to – I revelled,
and filed their titles for later use.
 
It was my little scrap of dignity:
to reign supreme
in an exclusive corner of academia;
to know I could
bowl over your bluster
with a litany of classics and writers
and linguistic terminology.
 
I exercised restraint
with your grammar, reserving
red ink underlines
for internal triumph and emergencies.
Over-brimming with science,
you ruined rainbows for the kids;
sneered at my love affair with the sky.
 
F****r.
 
 
“Pets do not love their owners.
The illusion is merely a result
of operant conditioning.”
 
Quite.
 
Thanks for the enlightenment, dear.


© 2009 Raef C. Boylan


Author's Note

Raef C. Boylan
It's not based on my life.
Let me know what you like/don't like about it. Thanks.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

well, it's somebody's life...there's not enough fiction in the world to escape the clutches of this one's or that one's reality, and that includes vampires (i married two of 'em, besides at least one angel)...this is a story of stuck, the glue of opposition, each needing the other for balance and opportunity, finally shredding hearts and parting, another soap, no growth, f****n' thing...

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Your writing is perfect. Absolutely perfect. It rings so true. You've sketched the characters with such skill. I wouldn't change anything.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

To me I would like to see this poem in a book. Guess that sounds a little crazy but more like a story. We as one of the people is a poet and this could be something that is put down. I've wanted to do that so much create a story and then put a poem in there somewhere.

Maybe it's just a little bit of greed on my part to think that this could grow into a story of two people. I call it greed because I would like to see something like this to a large degree. Perhaps greed is the wrong word but it seems to fit so. Half way because I don't care what the author has to go though in order to create something like that. I do care though so perhaps I'm not that greedy.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I see how I missed your genuine excellent writing.. this was witty with moments and I liked your emphasis on relationship layers, and their things betweenthe words. i thought you should send this to www.alicejamesbooks.org they might like it!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
Y'know, you wrote this very passionately, as if it really was an autobiographical snapshot: one of you and perhaps an older sister, one who you constantly had to look up to, one that was the more logical intellectual professor type as opposed to you, the one who dealt in fiction and dreams, the other side of the coin which this older sibling couldn't touch, or rather, couldn't understand.

The disdain from both sides shows through, the jealousy, the misunderstanding, even. It's a very well-crafted look at the dynamics between another sibling and/or colleague, it really is. And to be able to step outside of yourself and write of this as if you were inside this microcosm, is a deft feat. One that I struggle with since I'm far too self-centred to write about anything other than my thoughts and experiences mostly, haha. But I'm learning, learning to branch out and look at different perspectives. As you show well here. Yup.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

well, it's somebody's life...there's not enough fiction in the world to escape the clutches of this one's or that one's reality, and that includes vampires (i married two of 'em, besides at least one angel)...this is a story of stuck, the glue of opposition, each needing the other for balance and opportunity, finally shredding hearts and parting, another soap, no growth, f****n' thing...

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

It has an edge, but it's matter-of-fact enough in presentation--and replete with enough very fine imagery--that it doesn't veer into vengeful, spittle-spraying rant. There is humor and powerful observation sprinkled throughout the piece. I found the sixth stanza a little too straight-ahead; I think a little indirectness, a little distance might soften it a bit. Still, that's a minor complaint with a very, very fine piece of writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

As a child, I only read fiction. And poetry. I had no room for facts and figures and dates and such. As an adult, after I got through the years of Winnie the Pooh and Dr. Seuss, I read mostly non-fiction and poetry. There is so much I want to learn. So many facts and figures that I want to wrap my mind around.

I like the narrative in your poem. I see these two. One forever making the other feel inferior. Robert Frost in "Mending Fences" talks about building a wall when we don't know exactly what we're fencing in or out. He's all pines and I'm all apple trees. Nothing to get in or out. But the neighbor says in his most superior tone "Good fences make good neighbors." And I think I've gone horribly off track.

Facts and figures are good. Unrestrained, creative flights of fancy are good. And sometimes it is good to be the Master of something. This may teach me better than to try and review at 5:30 a.m. :)

Glad to see your words here again.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

668 Views
7 Reviews
Added on December 23, 2008
Last Updated on November 3, 2009

W.N.I.S [to be published, hopefully]


Author

Raef C. Boylan
Raef C. Boylan

Coventry, UK, United Kingdom



About
Hey there. RAEF C. BOYLAN Where Nothing is Sacred: Volume One www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/where-nothing-is-sacred-volume-i/1637740 I can also .. more..

Writing
Shrubs Shrubs

A Story by Raef C. Boylan