Wednesday

Wednesday

A Chapter by Megan S.

The strong smell of cologne and perfume was choking me. Never had I liked the bus. For some kids, that’s the one time of the day they do their homework last minute, or finished their makeup.  In my mind, if I wanted to choke to death, I’d find a nice serial killer and let him do the honors.

The only good thing was that I was one of the last ones on. Only one person got on after me- Kayleigh. Today was no different. She bounded onto the bus with her usual flare. She claimed the seat beside me, and I sat listening to her apology.

This time, though, she’d had a wonderful time on her date with Chris. He’d been the perfect gentleman; they’d made each other laugh, and absolutely every wonderful detail had gone perfectly. By the time she got off the bus with me, she was planning who to hook me up with.

“Kayleigh,” I stopped her after we were off the bus. “I am perfectly fine with being single.”

“Sure you are, Ashton, but you’d be even better if you were with a guy!” Luckily, the bus was running late, so we ran into first period History right as the lecture started. That forced her to stop talking, and I breathed a small sigh of relief.

Then we split up for second period, and I was already dreading sitting next to Connor after what I’d said last night. I still wasn’t quite sure if he would hit me. I consoled myself with the fact that I was a girl, and he wouldn’t risk hitting me and having every other guy in school beat him up for it. My consolations kept me okay until I walked into the classroom and saw him. Then, they all collapsed.

He wasn’t looking at me; instead he was turned toward Richard, no doubt listening to some old football story. From his posture, you could tell he wasn’t really paying attention. Restless fingers tapped the desk repetitively.

As I was on my way to the seat next to him, he glanced up, and my step faltered slightly before I forced myself on. His raven colored hair shone in the lights even though they were fluorescents, and his eyes seemed more silver than blue today.

I found myself at my desk rather suddenly and was sitting down when a note materialized on my desk. I knew that it must be meant to pass on; I never got notes, so I opened it quickly to see who it was for. When I saw my name, I paused slightly and then kept reading.

 

Ashton,

    I miss intentionally.

                          C

 

The note was small and to the point, but miss what, I wondered. The only person who could have given it to me was Connor, but what sense did that make? So, quickly, I scratched a not back to him.

 

Connor,

     Miss what?

                      Ashton

 

It took no effort at all to get it to him without getting caught by the teacher. She was busy writing grammatical mistakes on the board. I couldn’t be sure, but I thought, I caught Connor smiling as he read my note. I waited for the rest of the class to get a note back, but one never came.

As I walked with the crowd out the door, though, I felt something being slipped into my pocket. When I slipped my hand in a few seconds later, a slip of paper greeted my fingers.

“Ashton!” Kayleigh squealed when she saw me. “I know just who to hook you up with! Dillon!

I raised my eyebrows at her. “Dillon Copeland?” I asked. The picture of the baseball captain tore my happiness in two. “Come on! First of all, he’d never agree to it, and second, don’t you know me better than that?”

“Seriously, he’s hot! Plus, you don’t know what you want. Guys are my forte, not yours, and Dillon is perfect for you, trust me. He said that if I could get you to say yes, he’d take you on a date tonight.” She had said all of this in a single breath, and it exhausted me.

We stepped into the math room and made our way to our seats, Kayleigh waving off her other friends. While she was saying something to Amber Hamlin, I pulled out the slip of paper.

 

A,

  Meet me at the park. I’ll explain.

                                         C

 

I felt a smile take over my face as I refolded the paper and slid it into my pocket. When I looked up, Kayleigh was gazing at me curiously. Before she could speak, I cut her off.

“Tell Dillon that I’m sorry, but I have plans tonight.” The smile started to disappear from my face, though, as I began to remember my earlier worries. Still, I knew I’d go and meet him.

“Who with?” Kayleigh asked. “What are you going to do? Dinner and a movie? Just a dinner? Just a movie? A walk?”

“We’re going to talk, that’s all. He’s going to explain something to me.” I knew saying he was a stupid move on my part as soon as the word left my mouth. The rest of school was spent listening to lectures in class and fighting off Kayleigh’s inquiries after.

I let out a breath I'd felt like I'd been holding all day when I stepped off the bus. Looking at my house for the first time in a long time, I saw something I'd never noticed before.

Parts of the bricks were crumbling away, and the shingles were fighting to cling to the roof with the last life they had in them. The walkway rocks were crooked and cracked. Something that vaguely resembled dirt clung to every part of the house. It made the place seem dead.

Today, I didn’t even go in. I just made my way to where it seemed nothing could touch me. The park loomed before me a few minutes later.

In the middle of the court sat a boy with a nose stud and black hair. I dropped my bag by the swings, and made my way toward him. He didn’t stand as I approached, just watched me. In his lap was lying an old, worn out basketball.

I ended up standing next to him, and even though he was silent, I was sure he was angry at me. Suddenly, he stood, and I found that I was now the one looking up so our eyes would meet. He stood just a few inches taller than me.

He spun the basketball nimbly on his finger, and then he tossed it into the basket without taking his eyes from mine. It swished through the net, and bounced away from us.

“I miss intentionally,” his deep voice informed me as I stood staring at him dumbfounded. And then his note suddenly made sense to me.

“Why would you mean to miss, though? You’re obviously amazing. We could use your talent on the basketball team!”

“I want my family to get off my back about joining the basketball team here, too.” He sighed, almost sounding frustrated.

“You could be our star basketball player, though! Our team might even go to state for once. Why on earth wouldn’t you want to be on it if you’re that good?” Good, wow, what and understatement. The boy had it all- looks and killer basketball skills. The girls would be all over him in no time.

“Look, just drop it. Just because I’m good doesn’t mean I like it, ok? Now, I told you something, so you have to tell me something.”

Oh great, I thought, maybe I should have taken Dillon up on his offer. I made a face at him. Why should I tell this boy I barely know anything about me?

“Just tell me who that woman you drew is. That’s all I want to know.” He said it simple, like he was asking my favorite color.

“My mother,” I told him. I wasn’t sure why I’d actually said it. I’d decided I wouldn’t answer, but it just popped off my tongue. What could it hurt, I asked myself? It wasn’t like he was ever going to meet her. How would he know she didn’t look like that anymore?

Connor started to make his way to the little, old playhouse, and I found myself following him. Despite all my worries, his almost magnetic pull still tugged at me. The two voices in my head were battling again.

In the end, my cell started buzzing in my pocket, and I pulled it out, ending the battle of whether to follow Connor or not for the moment. Caller I.D. said Dad.

“Hey, Dad,” I said. “What do you need?

“Why aren’t you home yet?” he asked, obviously angry. “You can’t make us worry like this! Don’t you think your mother has enough on her mind without this?! She’s worried sick!”

I thought of the red eyed thing on the couch and scoffed. She couldn’t even remember who I was half the time, let alone where I was. My mouth opened to say this, but I bit my tongue and controlled the urge.

“Of course, Dad. I’m so sorry; I didn’t think. It was a momentary lapse of reason. Give me ten minutes, and I’ll be home.” It’d only take me about five, but I didn’t want to leave just yet.

Without a goodbye, he hung up, and I flipped my phone closed. I felt eyes on me, and I looked up to meet them head on.

“So,” Connor said, “I’m a momentary lapse of reason, huh?”



© 2011 Megan S.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

ha ha. Love this.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
1 Review
Added on April 4, 2011
Last Updated on April 4, 2011


Author

Megan S.
Megan S.

AR



About
I'm a simple teenage girl from podunk Arkansas trying to get by in the world of high school. I started writing as soon as I could, and I've never quit. Over the years, what writing means to me has cha.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Megan S.


Soundless Soundless

A Book by Megan S.