The Jixies

The Jixies

A Story by Petals & Pearls

Previous Version
This is a previous version of The Jixies.



Introduction:

Over the hills and valleys, into a place that you would least expect deep in the heart of the forest, there you will find a creature who is quite mysterious indeed, for they are often overlooked and seldom understood. They call these creatures the Jixies. They are no more than two feet tall on their tippy toes, but you can ask those who have met one and they will tell you that despite their size they are very quick on their feet. They are covered with long bushy fur like that of a lion’s mane, their ears are big, pointed and long giving them a majestic look and I can imagine good hearing as well. Their eyes are big and bright, full of mischief, set right above their little snouts. They have short legs and big feet, which gives them a waddle when walking without the help of their hands

 

Jixies are not quite odd looking, just different. When you see them you know that if a Jixie could look like anything, it would look just like that, even if they have never been described to you before. They love to play games and are quite good at riddles, so before you riddle them this and that, remember, they could probably beat you while tongue tied.

 

Jixies live in many places, wherever land is found. In the north they dwell in the giant redwoods, in the south they have made their homes in the cypress trees. The black oaks in the east were once an oasis for the Jixies, but because of the growing rarity of these trees some have migrated to the red oaks. In the far, far west they have taken shelter underground, the cool earth protecting them from the heat of day. These Jixies in the west that dwell in tunnels and chambers are a little different than others, their eyes have adjusted to life in the dark and their hair is much, much lighter. Their moods are a little less pleasant but they have managed to stay friendly, though can come off as rude. But overall they are silly fun loving individuals that laugh often and rarely will you find one not smiling. Contrary to popular belief, the tree dwelling Jixies also live underground as well, beneath the tree where they are safe and hidden. The reason I tell you of this is because this is a story of one Jixie in particular, a Jixie by the name of Jeru.

 

Chapter 1:

Jeru was one of the Northerners who lived in a giant redwood; he had lived there all his life and had no plans of leaving anytime soon. He was comfortable, he had everything he needed, and Jixies need little more than that. Unlike most Jixies he lived alone, though others lived in big families with sometimes 4 generations under one roof. The reason why he was the only occupant of his cozy little abode doesn’t matter, all that matters is that he was. But loneliness was never a concern; he had family and friends among the other redwoods and hobnobbed often, as Jixies tend to do. There was little to be concerned about in these peaceful woods and nothing unfortunate had happened in almost eight hundred years, but that was about to change…

 

He sat there quietly smoking the pipe his grandfather had given him on his 100th birthday and he enjoyed it thoroughly. With each puff it was as if he was drawn deeper into thought, the thought of what I’m not sure, he himself sometimes wasn’t sure. But he sat there daydreaming, dreaming about anything, about life beyond the redwoods. His contemplation was interrupted by a knock at the door, he was not expecting any company but he never begrudged the arrival of a friend. He lopped towards the door to invite whoever it was inside for some freshly brewed mint tea and a pleasant smoke from his old pipe. The knock sounded again, this time a little louder.

 

“I’m coming, I’m coming!” He bellowed.

 

He opened the door and there stood, who of all of people? It was his dear cousin Jada, son of his Aunt Tissy on his mother’s side; he was the uninhibited one in the family and had a reckless streak. Many times had Jada gotten him into trouble, but then again he was always there to bail him out as well.

 

“Hey there, you old scraggly fur ball, come on in, I was just fixing some tea and it’s your favorite.”

 

“Don’t mind ifa do” He made himself comfortable while Jeru fetched the tea.

 

Jada looked around admiring the décor and the space; he chuckled every time he thought about how cleverly his people lived. Their homes were simple but brilliant, disguised to hide the fact that anyone might call it “home.” The entry at the base of the trunk was carved out of the tree itself, you couldn’t even tell there was a door there until it swung open, when shut it seemed to practically disappeared, hiding any sign of anything different than giant redwood. Only the eye of a Jixie or those who knew them well could spot a Jixie tree. At about that time Jeru toddled in with a wooden tray upon which sat the kettle, two clay cups and some sugar.

 

Jada was happy, he loved Jeru’s tea, “Thank you, I have been craving some of your tea for a while, you brew the best” he exclaimed as he sipped his hot tea.

 

“Care for a smoke too?” Jeru offered.

 

He declined explaining that he was trying to cut back. “Grandma Brilly doesn’t like it and I promised I wouldn’t.” he whimpered as he looked at the floor and shook his head wishing he hadn’t promised anything.

 

Jeru took his pipe in hand “Fair enough,” he puffed to light the sweet smelling tobacco “you’re missing out though, this is my best batch.”

 

You could see the longing in Jada’s eyes, his mouth began to water, oh, how he wanted to taste of the smooth honey flavored smoke with a hint of berry. Jada sighed and again declined.

 

“Your willpower will fade,” Jeru chuckled “so what’s the point?”

 

“No, I can quit smoking whenever I wish, and I have.”

 

“I give you two more days, three at most and then you will be begging me for some tobacco.” Jeru began to laugh for it had happened countless times. He now looked curiously at Jada, “Why do you place yourself in such discomfort knowing it will all be for naught in the end?”

 

“Every time I make a promise, I actually have the mind to follow through.”

 

“You do know what the definition of insanity is, right?”

 

“No, what might that be?”

 

“Picking barries from the same bush repeatedly and expecting a different taste”

They both began to hoot and howl almost falling out of their seats, everyone knew that Jada had always been a couple honeybees short of a beehive.

© 2010 Petals & Pearls


Author's Note

Petals & Pearls
This is only the beginning, I am still in the process of writing this piece.



Reviews

are you still here and writing?...Laury

Posted 11 Years Ago


Petals & Pearls

10 Years Ago

I've been away for a while... I need to pick my pen back up ;)
lovely piece ..please read my submission also..? oh ..good luck! Sir /nitsuki1

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

60 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 20, 2010
Last Updated on May 21, 2010
Tags: fantasy, myth, legend, story

Author

Petals & Pearls
Petals & Pearls

Dayton, OH



About
I'm a 34yo artisan and adventurer from OH. Long time writer and published poet, but I've just recently found my calling writing erotic poetry. :3 more..

Writing