Covering Your Campus Lockdown

Covering Your Campus Lockdown

A Poem by RainingKate
"

Founded idea from school violence. After watching some slam poetry and saw how school violence really affects people, I wrote this poem.

"

Covering Your Campus on Lockdown

How dare you.

Like a jump-scare, I hear the bullets screaming

Like a protest, I hear the students squalling

My own fear is a blanket that coats me

My own fear hides my eyesight so that I may not see the chaos that surrounds me.


How dare you,

Come into my safe haven of learning

And turn it into a hell of mayhem

How dare you make me question my own space of learning

How dare you make me look around every corner before I walk


How dare you.

Your bullets, invading the consent of a person’s skin

Your anger, bursting like a bubble that splatters on the wall

Your sadness, which now plagues the families and friends of those whose lives you’ve taken

How dare you ruin the blanket of safety that we may never feel again 

Your actions not only invade me, but the minds of children. 


When we look at our books, we will also look to the door to make sure it’s locked.

When we walk down the hallway, we will also walk through memories.

When we are doing math, we will also count the number of exits.

When we are having fun, we will also be afraid.


I’m afraid.


...So I ask, one final time, how dare you?


© 2021 RainingKate


Author's Note

RainingKate
I love feedback because it helps me improve my writing. I know this poem isn't perfect, there are even things I couldn't express in words for this poem. Let me know what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your poem is a poignant reminder of the impact that violence and fear can have on our lives, particularly in the context of a school shooting. Your use of language is both beautiful and haunting, and I found myself feeling deeply moved by the emotions you convey. The line "Your actions not only invade me, but the minds of children" is especially powerful - it's a heartbreaking reminder of the long-lasting effects that these tragedies can have on young people.

Posted 9 Months Ago


The stress of the pandemic has caused an upsurge of mental health problems. When people get stressed, they can also become violent. Throw guns into the mix and you have the ingredients for really nasty situations.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Powerful. An unfortunate topic to have for consideration. Well constructed, perfect anaphora, very deeply thought out. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Powerful and strong words and thoughts shared dear RainingKate. Your words were meaningful and worthwhile. I live near Detroit. The gun and violence. Kill so many. Thank you for sharing your amazing poetry and your thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 22, 2021
Last Updated on February 22, 2021
Tags: #violence #fear #setmefree #scho

Author

RainingKate
RainingKate

Kansas City , MO



About
Small-time writer with a passion for science. I like to ask questions and understand the world a little bit better. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Dandelions Dandelions

A Poem by Paul Bell