How To Break Cement Block (Karate)

How To Break Cement Block (Karate)

A Story by Rain
"

What happened demonstrating the art of block breaking to a 14 year old student.

"
 
The class had ended. The young fourteen year old boy still had his karate uniform on, and was just putting his jacket on over top of it, getting ready to ride his bike home. I was the head instructor that night in Master Ahn's DoJo(studio) and was in the office doing some paper work.
 
" Sensei, how hard is it to break a cement block, ?
He asked, as he stood in the doorway. I looked up at him and jokingly answered.
" You've got a long way to go before you have to start thinking about cement, son. Right now your mind should be focused on wood. "
" Yes Sir, I know."  I have my Yellow belt test coming up next week, and I have to break a board with my fist, He said.  I was just wondering how much harder is it than breaking wood."
He kept standing in the doorway, determined to get an answer.
 
I was taking my Black Belt test on the same day he was taking his Yellow belt. I had broken a half dozen blocks to prepare myself. I would be required to break a block for my Black Belt.
 
" Well, it's the same principle, your mind must think past the block...through it," I said, thinking that would satisfy him.
 
" But Sir, a cement block looks like it would take far more force than it takes to break a board,"he continued, determined to get a more precise answer.
" It does, I said, but by the time you have to break a block, you will have the speed, power, and mental strength it takes, "
I told him, and waited for him to walk a way. But, the young boy was nervous, and needed my reassurance.
 
As an instructor, I used to go through the boards, when it came to young boys like him, and find ones that had small cracks in them. This would almost always assure the board would break. Breaking boards is just a way to build confidence. It wasn't until much later that three and four boards became the real test. I could tell he was really nervous about his upcoming test.
 
" Look, do you want me to show how it's done ?" I asked, not really wanting to do it, because there is a risk. There are only two kinds of blocks. One we call the dry block. That's what you see Black belts break. They are easy to spot, they are crumbly around the edge. I've never seen it done, but I've heard rumors of the blocks being baked, to dry them out. It still requires speed and mental toughness, but they shatter easier.
 
The danger is what we call the wet block. It's simply a cement block that has a dampness to it. You can usually visually pick them out. You don't mess with those. Any good instructor will keep his new Black Belts away from a wet block. It takes extreme speed...power...and experience to break one.
His face lit up.
" You mean you're going to show me how to break a block, Sensei ?" He asked, excitedly.
 
" Yes, I'll show you," I said, as I got up and started walking back to our training area. I flipped the switch and the neon lights lit up the room, except the light near the stacks of wood and cement blocks. That light flickered like it was trying to light, but never did.
 
I instructed him to take four blocks, and stack them two on each side for support for the block I was going to break. I found the block I wanted, and placed it atop the two stacks. I went through one of the Black Belt Katas(Forms) I would have to perform for my test...just to loosen up. I remembered how scared I was the first time I ever tried. I failed because I decelerated right at impact...in other words I slowed down just a bit because of lack of confidence. You HAVE  to believe you can do it...believe with all your heart. It hurt like hell, but I survived it, with Master Ahn laughing in the background.
" BELIEVE! " He yelled at me. I was one of his favorite students, primarily because I chose so late in life to accomplish a difficult task.
 
I was ready. The young boy had the look on his face as if he was about to witness something super natural. I stared at the block for at least a full minute. There was no-one else in the world. I could only see that block. I could see my knife hand coming down with such speed and force. I envisioned the bock exploding into two large hunks and dozens of little cement chips. I approached it. I felt an anger building inside. I put my right hand on the block, my fingers tight...making them feel like one. I raised my hand several times, and put my hand exactly where I would strike it. I was ready.
 
I bent my knees, and raised my hand one last time, then with the speed and power of a man possessed I brought my knife hand down with all the force that God had given me, and with the determination of a warrior...my hand struck the block precisely where I wanted, and the room echoed with a shattering, cracking sound, similar to the cracking of a tree branch. I felt the pain jolt through my body like no other pain I've ever felt. For a second I thought I was passing out. I grabbed my wrist...taking a quick glance at my hand. It was disfigured. I knew immediately some fingers were broken, but it was the bones near my wrist that concerned me most.
 
" Sensei ? Are you alright ?" The young boy asked, in all sincerity, as I fought every fiber in my body from dropping to the ground and screaming.
 
" I'm ok," I managed to say. "That must have been a wet block. " I managed to utter through the pain. I just wanted him out of my sight so I could scream every cuss word ever known to man.
 
" Look, just go ahead and go, ok. I'm ok. I'll show you another time."
I said as I guided him to the hallway. I heard him open and close the front door. I dropped down to my knees. I looked at my hand as my eyes were welling up with tears. I cussed so much. I could see the bones disfigured under my skin. I had shattered it in three places. I was about to pass out from the pain. I had to hold my right hand up by using the palm of my left hand. The pain was horrific. You could actually see the broken bones trying to break through the skin. I drove straight to the emergency room, still wearing my uniform.
 
Do you know what embarrassing is ? It's having a room full of nurses and a doctor come up and ask " How did you do so much damage to your hand ?"
And you have to tell say..
" I was showing a student how to break a cement block." Then standing there as the whole room laughed. My hand was close to requiring surgery, but the doctor could see in the X-ray he could set it. He pulled...twisted, and bent my hand to where he thought it might not need anything  but a cast.
Master Ahn was not pleased to see me wearing a cast the next day.

"You not smart, Neighbor," you have Black Belt test Saturday, You MUST break block, plus fight.! "
He chastised me. I felt very stupid. It was a dumb thing to do.
When Saturday came, I arrived with my cast, and entered a studio filled with on lookers. The young boy who was taking his Yellow belt test did a fantastic job, and broke his board easily. He came over and bowed, then took a seat to watch my Black Belt test. I had decided to try and break the block with an elbow strike, which was permitted. Hell, you could use your head if you wanted, too.
 
You are judged my three Masters. It was a difficult test. First, I had to fight an experienced Black Belt, then two Black tips, like me. I passed with ease. Then came the block. My wrist still ached with pain. I had a room full of friends and family, but I also had a crowd who had gotten behind me, and was pulling for me. I was determined to shatter this block, even though I'd never attempted to break one with an elbow strike.
 
The room grew deadly silent. I knew the pain would shoot from my elbow to my wrist. I just had to BELIEVE ! My first attempt was pitiful. I felt the fear of the pain slow my strike. You are allowed three chances. The second attempt was like the first...fear of the pain kept me from coming full force. I looked at Master Ahn sitting in front of me. The crowd moaned on my second failure. Then they started yelling for me. My third attempt I hit it with everything I had, I felt the intense pain throbbing in my wrist. I was dejected, as I turned and bowed to the Judges. The room all applauded, even though I had failed they knew I could have waited for my wrist to heal.
 
Master Ahn was in deep discussion with the other Masters. Then I watched, as I stood at attention.
" We have passed you. I have seen you break block before."  When your hand heals, you will be given this part of test to me privately."
The crowd heard his words, and broke out in applause. I wrapped the Black Belt around my waist. I was disappointed, but I also was proud. A month later, in front of Master Ahn and the whole class, I broke the block. I went on to be his top Trophy winner in Fighting and Forms. I won the North American Championships in Akron, Ohio.
 
I learned many things from Karate, besides never to pick out a block under a flickering light. I learned, what ever your age, whatever your past, whatever your fears...BELIEVE...and always be prepared for pain.
 
 
 
 

© 2008 Rain


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"BELIEVE...and always be prepared for pain." - a powerful way to end this piece, Rain.

This is a good story - even thought not every element brought success, you still turn it into an example to demonstrate your advice. We, the readers, empathise with you: you weren't showing offf, you were trying to build confidence in a youngster and it went wrong...and you still kept your head. If you'd sworn and shown pain in front of him, it could have damaged his sense of discipline and courage [straining against pain is sometimes also a good way to keep from passing out...even embarrassment can have its benefits].

I'm glad it turned out well for you.

I think I've read another story of yours about Karate - about how you got into it and went on to be an instructor? I used to do Tae Kwon Do - it's not as noble-seeming a martial art as Karate, but it's still good and concentrates on respect and discipline as well as fitness.

Great write.
Thanks for sharing this with us.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A brave story to tell and one that I feel I can relate to. In life, sometimes we need to accept pain and work through it. But, we also need to know our limits.

Personally, I feel that it could be tightened up in places and you need to watch your punctuation.
However, the soul of the story is there. Good job.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Good. Really good. Had me wanting to read on, which I soppose is the writing litmus test. In terms of criticism, all I would say is a bit more characterisation might be good, but overal, this really stood out for me and I'd like to read more.

Thankyou

Posted 11 Years Ago


Caught me from starting to end. Super!

Posted 12 Years Ago


A friend of a friend if mine broke his hand punching a wall. At least you had a reason

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a story that my daughter's friend would so enjoy. I am not sure exactly where he is in getting his belts but little Joseph is even trying to learn his lessons. Kimberly also attends class when she can. Myself, I would have been home nursing my broken writst but it is my understanding from Kriss that Karate is really a deep training of the mind, body and soul. I swear my friend you have had your fingers in every part of life there is and then can so skilfullly bring it all before us. Great read and powerful ending.

Blessings,
Lesa

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

An encouraging write, it shows modesty yet confidence. You gained respect of your student, the instructor and the audience. You didn't give up and maintained your cool even while in pain, you attempted to break the cement even with your wrist being diabled.

An excellent write to give one confidence.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovely message... Makes me think of when I did karate. My instructor was like something from hell, pushing us to the very limits, and looking back, I think I actually miss it. Senseis always know best! :) Love the emotion and point of veiw. Well done! :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I liked this short story as well. You know, I really enjoy the multi-dimensionality you have. You have the ability to write both poetry and prose, a feat that I have not mastered. I am always impressed by your choice of words as well. This piece was especially interesting because it sharply contrasted with what I had read earlier with the short story "The Attempted Kidnapping." Even though there were broken bones in this story as well, there was also a life lesson that was a little less depressing and a great deal more uplifting. I loved the humor and the inspiring words in this piece. Good job. -Kenji

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed every word of this for the humility of it. And the warning in it with the key word being BELIEVE. I sometimes think writing and fighting have much in common. Your stories always kick and punch with black belt writing belief. Respect. *bows*

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

6970 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 5, 2008
Last Updated on December 12, 2008

Author

Rain
Rain

About
"Having lived a bit has altered my thoughts of this coming new year from all those that have come and gone. Life is so bizarre that in some ways, my diagnosis has been a blessing. "I'm not sure why.. more..

Writing
He is My Son He is My Son

A Story by Rain


The 50's The 50's

A Poem by Rain



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


GOD said, WHAT ? GOD said, WHAT ?

A Story by Rain


Time Time

A Poem by Rain


I Run Away I Run Away

A Poem by Rain


Hobo...Part One Hobo...Part One

A Story by Rain