I Almost..

I Almost..

A Poem by Rain
"

Little things we almost do, we should have done, because the effect may not have been so little.

"
My headlights caught the broken down car, with the hood up, and the man dejectedly leaning against his door. I touched my brakes. I could see the man move in my rear view mirror. He thought I was stopping...I almost did. Twenty years ago I would have, but I kept going. My lack of action haunted me. There was an exit ramp straight ahead. I could turn around. But, I passed it...why ? Was it because he was black ?
No! It was because he was a man. At least that's what my mind told me. There was still time. He was only a couple miles back. I could cut through one of those Highway Patrol paths. I've done it often.
 
A little voice shouted " Do it, Ray." 
Now, he was three miles back. He probably already called for help. Everyone has a cell phone...right ?. Turn around!! I almost did...almost.

© 2008 Rain


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

One of the things I love most about you is that you question your own integrity...
who does that ?

You are morbily honest Ray...
who knows... We may never...!

Could have been disobeient fear...or gender or race issue crouching in the reccesses of your mind...
or it could have well been a good healthy dose of spiritual-discernment...( a protective measure of sense from God that guides us from hurt...harm...or danger .

Blessssssssss

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I found my mind going in some many different directions when I read this piece. One was to go back for, but one direction that most stood out to me was not going back. Why not go back? Because man man neglects, because man is sometimes cruel and takes advantage of kindness. That is my general take on the piece. I greatly enjoyed reading.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I've been here before, when you almost do something right that you know you should, but you don't. I wonder what stops us. I like this poem because it's something that I can connect with, it makes me remember and determined that the next time something like this happens, I'll do what I should. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What an honest writing. That's what I like about you and your writing. Thank you for sharing. Debileah

Posted 15 Years Ago


I think that society today has left us with the impression that we are putting ourselves in danger it we do some of the things that we pass by. You are right, years ago you would have probably stopped, today we hear all of the warnings of what could happen if we do. Because of this write my friend and questioning your motives of passing by, I must agree with J. Hampton below. There are few in this world that would give a second thought of why they would not stop to help. J could have also been right with his last statement to you. It is too bad that our world has given us so many reasons to question. As always I enjoyed this look into your heart.

Hugs,
Lesa

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great write on a wuddashuddacudda. With all those what ifs and oh wells.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I was left with a sense of duty to consult my conscience to check my status, reading this. I have never read anything that has offered me that before in this more subtle way. It is apparent after reading many of the reviews that piece certainly benefits many others in that respect. What a great piece of work, here.

Posted 15 Years Ago


But, Ray. . . if it was for you to do, you would have. A few months after I made my way to the cafe, I came across a stalled car on a backroad near where I work. Twenty degrees and dark and I stopped. Because I knew it would be okay. The man needed a jump so I turned around and came back and stood in the ice along the side of the road. And watched him get in his car and head toward the industrial park a couple of miles away. I didn't have two dollars on me--probably. I never do. He was so afraid. Of being late. I hope he didn't lose his job.

Half my friends scolded me for my stupidity. My husband just rolled his eyes because by now he knows better.

How many times have you reached out your hand to help a stranger? You weren't supposed to stop that day.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Funny...not in a ha ha laughing sort of way, but in a humanly did I goof sort of way. I don't believe you pulled the race card on this one. I believe it is as you say that it was because he was a man. Men handle these things differently I am told.

Being devil's advocate here, it is entirely possible that he may have turned you away from that male pride that seems to be quite prevalent no matter what state or country you are from. I agree with Mr. Hampton, you are indeed intricately honest...perhaps even morbidly...though I don't think you and morbid belong in the same sentence. I think you imagined for a moment, even subconsciously perhaps what you would have been feeling were you in that same predicament. Not only are you honest, and full of integrity, but you are also one of the most empathetic people I know. Empathy, more than sympathy, says so much about a person. Intuition never fails, Ray. You are a clear example of that.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Haunting. I hate to count the endless amounts of happiness and fulfillment I might have otherwisw had...if it simply were not for..."Almost"

Great work.

Jeff

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow! Rain, this speaks volumes about today's society and our mind set. It is so sad that we have to second guess an act of kindness...but I am humbled by your honesty and ability to show truth. This is truly great :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

519 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on September 21, 2008

Author

Rain
Rain

About
"Having lived a bit has altered my thoughts of this coming new year from all those that have come and gone. Life is so bizarre that in some ways, my diagnosis has been a blessing. "I'm not sure why.. more..

Writing
He is My Son He is My Son

A Story by Rain


The 50's The 50's

A Poem by Rain



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I Run Away I Run Away

A Poem by Rain


Our Lives.. Our Lives..

A Poem by Rain


Time Time

A Poem by Rain


Words Written Words Written

A Poem by Rain