Dead Oak Tree..

Dead Oak Tree..

A Poem by Rain
"

There can be a strange beauty in death..

"
It stood alone, as if an outcast from the nearby woods. How did it get there? You could tell it once was a mighty Oak tree, like the many that still stood tall and alive nearby. Once it's great limbs held a massive amount of lush green leaves. Now, it's limbs looked brittle and barren, void of any life. Many of it's limbs laid at it's base, like markers to a grave.
I found myself fixated on this one solitary tree, bypassing the natural beauty of the forest with it's thick green foliage. I was looking at a dead tree...a dead tree that was magnificent in death. In the background were fields of fruitful corn, and an old weather beaten red barn. It seemed to add to the tree's magnetic attraction.
Of all the natural beauty surrounding it, it occurred to me a painter would only want to capture the lone, breathtaking silhouette of this still massive, but lifeless tree. So I painted with words..
 
i'm gonna be gone someday
what do i want my memory to say
how will life remember me
let me be a dead oak tree
let me stand all alone
gone,but standing on my own
no marker, or stone engraved
let me stand where once i swayed
there's beauty in the shadow of death
a haunting image that takes your breath
to leave behind for all to see
to die in grace, a dead oak tree
let their eyes scan the fields
of stunning woods,and bountiful yields
i want to stand with my shadow cast
against horizons where nothing lasts
i was here, and here i'll be
forever live...the dead oak tree
 

© 2008 Rain


Author's Note

Rain
I am still working on this piece..

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"There can be a strange beauty in death.." - Yes, I agree...there is always a strange hidden beauty behind not only death but also behind pain, behind tears and behind heartbreaks.
This poem is certainly very different and you succeeded in conveying your message from the idea of a dead oak tree. This is indeed a very thoughtful piece of writing.
It is not at all only about the dead tree or the comparison of your life with the tree but it is widely about the philosophy behind the life of every individual.
Brilliant piece of writing!


Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is one of your greatest works my friend. It is so powerfully written and saddens me to think someone so strong and full of life will one day pass, so you see you have left your Great Oak Tree for all to see and admire. You are a my mentor, I have learned so much from you and will continue to think of your brilliance forever... Cheers my Friend...

Posted 14 Years Ago


That is a beautiful piece. We all see the beauty of the turning of the leaves as they are dying. It is God's way of telling us that that is more to come.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a great poem with fluidity and motion, bringing the tree to life in so many ways,
I like the way the vivideness moves and identifies the theme, beautifully written and a pleasure to read.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love trees! They stand in place and watch over smiles and laughter, tears and sorrows. I guess I was drawn to your title because of my own feelings that I do have posted on several writes here.

Wonderfully painted my friend. If you do add to this please let me know.

Blessings,
Lesa

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rain I love this poem, it's so nicely written. A job well done. You have captured a beauty in death of the tree. Thank you for sharing. Debileah

Posted 15 Years Ago


So much beauty in what was. You captured the true essence of beauty and power that can only be found in one of these fallen soldiers. My favorite thing to paint and to photograph are trees. Dead, live or dormant there is something extremely powerful in their stature. They dance with the wind, they stand guard in the night, and they protect and host small animals from harm within their branches. They give the air that we breathe and cleanse it of our pollutants. They will stand long after we are gone. Wonderful tribute.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Poetry is really nothing more than a subtle form of death. I think that writing on death through the outlet of poetry, seeks a new level in the explanation of termination in general. Essentially, poetry ends, the moment dies, and in this case, the subject is dead. I think that you do a marvelous job contrasting the living and the dead, and even the dying in the case of the old barn. The form was also unique and well done in that the opening is not rhymed and then later, the rhyme pours out quickly, and marks a grand departure from the world and the piece. I am too disconnected at this point in time to suggest revisions, but surely there must be something, as you are still working on this piece. It has been awhile good sir, and I am sorry that it took so long for me to leave you another review. Your account was closed for awhile, so I naturally feared the worst. Glad I was mistaken. -Kenji

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nature has a way of creating it's own beauty in our eyes. A dead oak tree, standing alone, it's presence known. Very soothing and tranquil feeling in this poem.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

As are we all (still working on this piece). It's well painted words. So soon that's all we'll be.
How mood enhances vision. and how vision becomes visionary.

Posted 15 Years Ago


you are a huge nurturting oak tree giving off shade, inspiration, and oxygen now.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

4624 Views
40 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on September 30, 2008
Last Updated on October 19, 2008

Author

Rain
Rain

About
"Having lived a bit has altered my thoughts of this coming new year from all those that have come and gone. Life is so bizarre that in some ways, my diagnosis has been a blessing. "I'm not sure why.. more..

Writing
He is My Son He is My Son

A Story by Rain


The 50's The 50's

A Poem by Rain



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Our Lives.. Our Lives..

A Poem by Rain


i don't know i don't know

A Poem by Rain