My New Year's Resolution

My New Year's Resolution

A Story by Rain
"

This one I vow with all my heart to keep..Written for contest

"
Sometime ago, I was watching  evening news. It showed a 75 year  man being run over by a hit and run car. There were dozens of people within yards of him as he lay motionless in the middle of the street. Not one person walked over to him to help. I've always wondered how we allowed the Holocaust to happen...now I think I know. These people were not evil. They had families they loved, and who loved them. When we see people react like this we always think they must be totally unlike me. I'm a better person than that. I would never be so cold.
 Are those people different than us? Do you think fate cast a situation where only cold hearted, evil people were the only ones one on that corner that day? There is no way I would not act. I am better than they are.. But, what if we aren't? They had grandchildren they loved. They went to church. The odds of only heartless people being in one spot is hard to believe. Then what happened?
 
What would we have done if we smelled the stench coming from Treblinka, or Auschwitz. Would we have rose up against the SS? Would we have left our children at home and marched to the gates of Auschwitz and demanded they stop?If we were in the middle of a raging lynch mob in 1955, would we have stood up, and tried to stop an out of control crowd, knowing we would be hung for being a n****r lover? In our hearts we need to believe we are not like them.
My New Year's resolution is to stand up and make a difference...not with words, but with my actions. I would rather die than watch a 75 year old man die in the street because of my inaction. My New Year's resolution is to not let a lie go unchallenged...to speak out against genocide...to prove I am not like them...whatever the cost. I will not seek an excuse for not acting like a decent human being. I would rather die with pride, than hide because of fear. My life is not more valuable, than my humanity.

© 2009 Rain


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

There are a lot of massive issues in your story. Moral people seem to be either asleep at the critical moment, complacent, in disbelief at the evil that comes their way, or scared. Courage vs sense seems to be the issue. If we stand up we might get torn down. Does that make sense? Many people in London wld definitely not get involved if someone were being beaten up in the street for fear of getting stabbed. Yet if someone does not stand up at some point we all sink beneath the bully heel.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

When I did A-Level psychology we looked a little at social influence - apparently the bigger the crowd at a scene of an accident, the less chance you'll have of getting help fast. Everyone waits for someone else to make the first move, they convince themselves that someone else has called the ambulance etc.
Maybe that had an effect.
Also, the libel culture that we currently live in has had a massive affect on people being reluctant to help. There was that story in the news a while back of a guy choking to death, and the person, a total stranger, who performed the Heimlich Maneoeveur on him [thus saving his life] also broke a rib in the process. The guy sued that person over the broken rib, as opposed to being grateful for not being dead.
I think that could have had an affect too.


Overall though, like you say, what we need are people who aren't afraid to make the first move in a positive direction. & if you're going to be one of them, I'm proud to call myself your friend.

Re: Nazi Germany and the Holocaust...I'm pretty sure most people would have kept their heads down. Those of us who didn't would have been shot and achieved nothing.
Disturbing, isn't it?

Posted 14 Years Ago


I thought I had missed this one but enjoyed the second read anyway. "I would rather die with pride, than hide because of fear." Wonderful! Hugs, Me

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

To me it would only be natural to help one in need, unfortunatly too many don't see life that way, afraid to get involved. There was a story in the paper a few days ago this old man was being attacked by these younger men. the older man they aged him at 67 and the younger men in their middle fortys. this guy goes over to help the older man, who got away. Turns out the older man was robbing the younger men, and the stranger who infered help the older man get away with what is was stealing. That is a catch 22. But still it shouldn't stop us from trying to help our brother when he's in need.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Indeed, our life should be a constant example of our humanity; of love, peace, beauty, tranquility of spirit and mind. We may not all be able to save the world, but if each of us just saved one..just ONE...it makes a difference to that one. Good work Rain.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I have just come from watching the video's on your profile page and wondering if I have somehow missed "Never again" I am heading to your write now to see if it may be there. It is amazing that we as a nation will mostly turn a blind eye to a full blown genocide because of tidbits of information handed us on terrorist activity. By turning a blind eye to what is going on in Ducar, to the HUMANS that try to survive there, we are really no different than the terrorists themselves. I know how important this is for you Ray and it should be important for all of us to somehow find a way to bring this to the world's attention. It seems while I am reading that it is brought forward and then quickly hushed and put aside. A story here and there. Honestly I had not heard of this and according to what I have now seen and read it has gone on for years. I know you will keep your resolution and I know I will join you in your cause. I hope that many will read this and be drawn back to see what you have put up to educate us on the plight that thousands must live each day with no real hope of finding a way to find a life that has any substance other than just to try to exist from day to day and grieve for those lost to them. More later to you in message. Blessings to you Ray, Lesa

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

GREAT JOB WITH YOUR WRITING BROTHER, WE ARE REACHING OUT AND TOUCHING HUMANITY WITH IT!
MY GOAL IS TO YEARLY COLLECT ENOUGH STORIES AND POEMS AND MAKE A BOOK ON PEACE FOR THE HUMANITIES AT THE YEARS END! IF WE CAN GET IT PUBLISHED, ALL MONEY MADE FROM THE SALES WOULD GO TO THE CAUSES FOR PEACE ON THE EARTH, LIKE STOPPING THE DEBAUCHERY IN DANFUR AND BURMA ALONG WITH MANY OTHER PLACES IN THIS DARKEN WORLD!
IF WE CAN DO THIS EVERY YEAR, COLLECTIVELY BRING AUTHORS, WRITERS AND POETS TOGETHER FOR THE CAUSE OF WORLD PEACE (LIKE HOLLYWOOD DOES), THEN WE WILL MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE MY FRIEND, JUST WAIT AND SEE!
THANK YOU FOR WRITING FROM YOUR SOUL FOR THE GOOD OF ALL SOULS!
THANK YOU FOR MAKING A DIFFERECE IN THIS WORLD!
REMEMBER NOTHING EVER DONE FOR WORLD PEACE WILL EVER GO IN VAIN!
TIM

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

There are a lot of massive issues in your story. Moral people seem to be either asleep at the critical moment, complacent, in disbelief at the evil that comes their way, or scared. Courage vs sense seems to be the issue. If we stand up we might get torn down. Does that make sense? Many people in London wld definitely not get involved if someone were being beaten up in the street for fear of getting stabbed. Yet if someone does not stand up at some point we all sink beneath the bully heel.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

As Christ said, no greater love had any man than he who gave up his life for his brother. He also said that as we do unto others we do unto Him, funny how people often forget that and tend to be only about themselves. Your words are powerful and touch the heart.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

993 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 27, 2008
Last Updated on January 5, 2009

Author

Rain
Rain

About
"Having lived a bit has altered my thoughts of this coming new year from all those that have come and gone. Life is so bizarre that in some ways, my diagnosis has been a blessing. "I'm not sure why.. more..

Writing
He is My Son He is My Son

A Story by Rain


The 50's The 50's

A Poem by Rain



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


     The Chat Room The Chat Room

A Story by Rain


i don't know i don't know

A Poem by Rain


I Run Away I Run Away

A Poem by Rain


He is My Son He is My Son

A Story by Rain