A Fading Sound Scape

A Fading Sound Scape

A Story by Candle in the wind
"

This pertains to the fading sounds of old Kolkata ( Calcutta) which my filmmaker friend wants to capture. Some may not relate or identify with some of them. I have given shape to his concept. I think all can appreciate the nostalgia.

"

Lonely sun baked afternoons, deserted lanes, the hawkers slouching with fatigue, looking around for prospective windows, curious peering eyes of the lonely housewife bored with her afternoon siesta, enticed by the tinkling and clanking of the vendor’s wares , scouting for goodies to spice up her dull life---these are fleeting long lost images. The beckoning chants of the vendors on a lonely afternoon is a picture evoked on celluloid in “Charulata” by Satyajit Ray amidst the black and white ambience of a forgotten era. The sounds of the vendors and street performers intensify the eerie silence engulfing the dull listless afternoon.

 
The children, on the streets, eagerly awaiting the familiar cries of the vendors selling their delectable, colorful, lip smacking tit bits with their coins jingling in their pockets, are now busy attending tutorials after school or playing computer games or are glued to the television or visiting multiplexes inclined to pizzas, burgers and ice creams. Those melodious rhythmic cries full of innovation which the hawkers used while vending their fares seem to have faded. The magic that they created with their linguistic devices and sounds is a lost charm. The occurrence of these cries, melodies and rhymes innovatively devised by these vendors has featured in short stories and novels for more than a century.. In the treasure house of literary works by Tagore there are several instances where these cries create an ambience for the story. In “Dakghor” we have Amol eager to learn the “Daiwala’s” ( curd seller) chant while chasing an elusive dream or in the novel “Gora” a typical locality of old Calcutta comes alive with the sound scape enlivened by these cries. Kabuliwala enchanting little Mini with stories of his “muluk”( native land ) and his exotic wares is another unforgettable creation.
 
The lazy winter afternoon with soft warm sunlight caressing one’s back while relaxing on a worn out mat waiting longingly for the vendors to come along with goodies in a glass box   is more a scene recreated by nostalgic grandmothers speaking to their grandchildren about yesteryears. The morning awakens to the newspaper vendor’s knock at the doorstep where the Bengali babu awakened with a lazy sip at his morning cup of tea savoring the day’s news served hot at his doorstep. Then came the scavengers followed by the melodious Bauls (wandering minstrels) with their “Hare Krishna” chants. The washer men came along to collect clothes to be washed from households. With the progression of the day the sounds and rhythms changed and intensified with vendors selling multifarious wares or those providing unique services like repairing things or sharpening knives and grindstones. There were also the performers who donned costumes posing as mythical characters or animals or even gods and goddesses. The evening grew quieter with the dim street lights. The summer evenings with flower sellers wafting in a cool fragrance along with their chants ,was in keeping with the relief that came after a heat scorched day. In the night the vigilant guards roamed the streets tapping their sticks and chanting “Jagte raho”.
 
The lonely housewives confined by the “pardah” ( curtain) system did not venture into the market place .These sounds and the vendors on the street afforded them companionship and an escape route from the dull monotony of their household chores. It afforded them the luxury of negotiating and buying goods at their doorsteps. The sounds of vehicles on the streets of  old Kolkata like the tongas, palkis,rickshaws, trams or honking vintage cars orchestrated well with these cries. Today’s woman frequents shopping malls with a plethora of goods displayed amidst a lot of razzmatazz. The shopping arcades are flashy with neon signs, banners and festoons and are housed in multiplexes. Today the showcasing is of international standards. In any case the din and bustle of a busy metro can drown such archaic melodies that enchanted people earlier.
 
We find these vendors and their music and linguistic devices encapsulated in literature reminiscent of the past for our senior generation but more a tale and a saga for our children. Who can forget the worn out wayfarer responding to the vendors cries in Sukumar Ray’s “Abak Jalpan”. The typical scenario at a railway station comes alive in Nabendu Bose’s creation where we have vendors with multifarious war cries vying for the attention of the passengers and visitors. This is still a familiar sight in fact the sound patterns change as the train enters various language scapes. Poets, dramatists and story tellers have used these cries liberally to recreate sound patterns of the streets. The most noted amidst them was Ishwar Gupta, Kaliprasanna Sinha,Amritlal Basu and Sashi Chandra Dutta. In fact in Sashi Chandra Dutta’s “The Street Music of Calcutta” we have a symphony of these cries.
 
We still have our parents and grandparents recalling this sound scape of old Calcutta telling us tales of their longing for the colorful ware sold by these vendors. They still retain the memories of the rhythmic chants and cries of these vendors sometimes accompanied by colorful costumes. They actually were exponents of a performing art in an era when people had simple dreams and aspirations and cherished simple pleasures in life. We still have a generation whose memories date back to those times and they can still recount the magic of that forgotten era imbued in nostalgia. Soon will come a time when we will not be able to recreate these sounds through oral story telling which is being passed down through generations. This language, this ethos, this culture will soon be confined to the archives of the past. Stories revolve around the mysterious aura that the vendors spun and wove into a soundscape in those magical times. These vendors have fallen prey to the onslaught of civilization like felled trees. With them their linguistic glory is on the wane.

© 2008 Candle in the wind


Author's Note

Candle in the wind
This is my attempt to give shape to a young film maker�s attempt to capture a language, an ethos, a culture which will soon be confined to the archives of the past. He wants a visual recreation of this sound scape and the accompanying images of the charm created by these vendors of yesteryears in Kolkata (Calcutta) in his documentary film. It will be based on the stories that revolve around the mysterious aura that the vendors spun and wove into a soundscape in those magical times.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

ma'm... this thing is just grtt.....
i was reminded of d day wen i actly cried for whole day.....as i realised dat finally.. the LIGHT HOUSE is no more.... instead we have a bloody city mart in its place.....
i was reminded of my d day wen.. i stood surprised to find my frnds choosing... pizza hut more than d rastar tele bhaja.......
i'l.. upload an article of the same nature... i guess it is der in this yr's graffiti too......
plzz read it... i thnk u hv already read it.....

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Having asked you to tell me about the sights and sounds of "India" I am mesmerized by this write, Raj! You told about "Old Calcutta" with a pointed and obvious flair... A beautifully painted portrait of "Old India" with remarkable elegance through out due to the dynamic choice of words. I really enjoyed this! When I see India on television, this is more a long the lines of how it is portrayed, though your knowledge of it is far more detailed than what will ever be shown. (You'll never convince me that you recently started writing!) If I believe that, then what else will you feed me, Raj? I can be naive at times, but completely gullible, I don't think so! LOL :-) I pray you are given a wonderful royalty for your hard work in this piece. :-) Delightful and captivating, my friend!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You have captured the past and have made your own film here with words! You really have done an outstanding job here. Your story is perfect and It's like I am there experiencing through your words! I've always loved your stories. You have fantastic detail and are so well versed. Your story is a true delight and I enjoyed this very much!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was such a visually pleasing read. As the scene played in my mind's eye with such clarity. I have always wanted to go to India. Anything I have seen, read, or heard about the country just sound beautiful and I wish to experience it all first hand. You writing here only affirms my longing to witness the land of mystery. I had a friend that just got back and I have not had a chance to talk with him about his trip. But I am looking forward to it. Really a wonderful story and a most enjoyable read. Thank you so much for sharing this with me.


Great JOb!!!!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is such a great write! And as an Indian I got so emotional after reading it..
I loved the deep and true meaning behind it the most.
It reflects what today's India is all about and Calcutta and West Bengal is such a beautiful place and so rich in culture which always attracts people from other cities and countries towards it..
Beautiful story and I simply loved the imagery in it!!
Great write
(I'm even adding it to my favorites ^-^)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I love the imagery. Very well written. Great job.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Well written. I can hear the nostalgic voices singing and selling. The bells and the barter. I can feel the different neighborhood shops.

I have visited my grandmother's house in Indore a few times, and Delhi as well. I have seen the transformation from what is was to what it is.

I can feel that longing, quite like waiting by the doorway and staring at the street, waiting for what was only in the past.

As long as I can still sense and enjoy our culture, and smell it in the air I breathe whenever I visit India, do I feel at home.

This is a wonderfully written story with good use of words. you have chosen appropriate vocabulary in painting the image. The hues are perfect.

A wonderful read

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

And a good attempt it is Raj. I have seen many documentaries on India, particularly Calcutta and indeed it looked impoverished to me. I'm not sure that 'Progress' has done much for, not only India, but every other country in this fast-paced world. I am a huge supporter of Mother Teresa and her dedicated team and have seen and read much about the street people and their struggle with illness. You are saying here that the 'old' Calcutta had more atmosphere and culture and I believe you because you would know better than I. This is informative and interesting, the vendors, though less now, would still be there wouldn't they?
I am sure your work would benefit any film maker who is in the market for informative narrative.
Terrific imagery, in my head I was there!
Cheers on a well-thought-out piece of literature...
Helen :-)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is fantabulously written and catches it all! Shelly

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Absolutely thrilling.....I could almost hear the voices of these people you are talking about....

How sad isnt it...that our children and their children will never know the magic of these sights and sounds....I pity that they will miss something that is such a treasure as this...

Awesome work, ma'am....

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

ma'm... this thing is just grtt.....
i was reminded of d day wen i actly cried for whole day.....as i realised dat finally.. the LIGHT HOUSE is no more.... instead we have a bloody city mart in its place.....
i was reminded of my d day wen.. i stood surprised to find my frnds choosing... pizza hut more than d rastar tele bhaja.......
i'l.. upload an article of the same nature... i guess it is der in this yr's graffiti too......
plzz read it... i thnk u hv already read it.....

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

582 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 7, 2008
Last Updated on April 18, 2008

Author

Candle in the wind
Candle in the wind

Calcutta, India



About
Flickering and blazing,not yet blown out in the wind... the flame has to sustain itself when the rains set in... Beyond norms and overrated sanity " We look before and after And pine for what i.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Doubt Doubt

A Poem by Tania Leigh