A Rain Drenched Day

A Rain Drenched Day

A Poem by Candle in the wind
"

It was so difficult to yank myself out of bed this morning.The rumbling clouds , the dark skies the torrential rain outside my window pane was setting the holiday mood in. Just the day to laze around !

"
A rain drenched day!
Clouds billowing in the sky
People scurrying past
Huddled under
The canopy of umbrellas
Splashing puddles
Hapless birds shaking wet feathers
The sun seems a sleepy head
Not yet up and about
Lazing around
Beneath a foggy blanket
Today is the day
For curling up my feet
Sipping a steaming cup of tea
Sitting with friends
Soaking in laughter and chatter
Or lilting melodies
Munching goodies
But here I am
At my office desk!
 
 

© 2008 Candle in the wind


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love this, Raj. I always like your use of pictures. I am slowly learning how to add pictures to my pieces, but to be quite honest, I am rather computer illiterate. I have to be told how to do it, and then shown, to grasp it. Where do you find such wonderful pictures?

This is utterly lovely. I want to come have a cup of tea with you and explore India after the rain stops. Your sentiments are exactly mine...I love to sit and have a cup of coffee or cocoa and read or visit during such a time. You paint such a beautiful picture here-so inviting to the reader.

Here are a few of my favorite phrases:

Clouds billowing in the sky

Huddled under
The canopy of umbrellas

Hapless birds shaking wet feathers

Beneath a foggy blanket

Soaking in laughter and chatter
Or lilting melodies

There you have it! Almost your ENTIRE poem, mind you. :-)

Your use of the English language is exquisite, Raj. I hope one day to write as well as you. :-) One thing I love about being on this sight though is being amongst writers that are better than me that I can glean from. It is important to be challenged. You must have been writing for years. Do you mind if I ask how old you are? You look in your late 20's-early 30's. (Hope this is not offensive to you. :-) I don't mean to me, if so.

Bountiful Blessings, my friend!








Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

your pictures are as lovely as your words. . . I'm thankful I'm not having a rain-soaked day today.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this Raj, great opening and closing lines! And everything in between creates wonderful imagery, drinking tea, munching goodies and curling up your toes...can I come to your house/ This gives a feeling of warmth even though it is raining...Wonderful piece of work and a pleasure to read...
Cheers
Helen :-)




Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wonderful imagery here. My place for a rainy day is a warm comfy bed, with my kittens curled up on my feet, a hot cuppa to hand and a darn good book to read.. Of course if it is really thundery or has massive lightning flashes, I'm more likely to be UNDER the blankets.

A lovely write I enjoyed it very much.

jen-JG





Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Don't you just hate that? I think it's one of God's little amusements that we are forced to go about our daily business, when our souls demand solace.

Nice poem. And, the ending leaves the reader with the same jolt-back-to-reality that the author is feeling.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

When it rains, I love to sit by the window and watch the world outside. So I enjoyed your description here.
Great imagery all through.
Wonderful pictures as well.



Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I love the imagery of this piece and the pictures add so much. Wonderfully penned. Great job.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I have always appreciated your gift for imagery, and this is a classic example of it; although the sun shines bright here right now, you were able to transport me to one of those mornings when all you want is to stay in bed and listen to the raindrops. I love the rain....thank you for the beautiful read :-)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Hey!!! This one is so...so...soooooooo beautiful!!!

How do you come up with such exquisite imagery, both in your words and your accompanying pictures?! I just love the way you have described the entire experience....

Think of the rain and gorom khichudi with begun bhaja!!!! Hmm....an ideal way to spend the rainy day....and yes, a good book or movie to spend the afternoon...before taking a nice long nap.....and waking up to the smell of hot tea/coffee again with some hot and spicy pakodas......oooh!!!!!

Thanks for sharing this piece, Rajrupa....really a piece from the heart....and one that touches the heart!

God Bless You!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Beautifully observed and lovely writing ...

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

The gray skies, the noise of water as it tries to peer through the invisible shield, and the wonderful smell. Rain is an inspiring muse for many writers.

I find this poem to have a wonderful use of imagery, I can feel the nostalgia of sitting by the window as a grade schooler looking out the window, and perhaps turning on the a/c, taking that long deserved nap. The choice of words and the conveyed message fits well. A good read

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

751 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 4, 2008
Last Updated on April 4, 2008

Author

Candle in the wind
Candle in the wind

Calcutta, India



About
Flickering and blazing,not yet blown out in the wind... the flame has to sustain itself when the rains set in... Beyond norms and overrated sanity " We look before and after And pine for what i.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..