Shadows on the wall

Shadows on the wall

A Poem by Candle in the wind

Shadows on the wall

Sway with the whims of light

Then I realise it is the breeze

The makes the lamp swing

Shadows elongate and spread out

They crouch and even disappear at times

They flicker and darken

They ripple and create intricate patterns

Like a filigree or a  kaleidoscope

I sit and stare at them

Are they the shadows of my mind ?

© 2008 Candle in the wind


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Shadows of mind"
Our minds make myriad pictures. Some pleasant some not, some evil and some rot.

The dark shadows are nothing but the stronger and dominant emotions that take over the hallow ones. The day one will able to shed all these opaque shadows and let the rays of lights follow, we would all be saints.

But we are not saints...right??

Lets live for the moment. And saint we might become one day...

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow.....good write. The shadows makes us a picture. Through shadows we can make many pictures by using our hands and fingers. But the shadows of Mind may make many number of pictures deending upon our views. Your rich poem has given me more thoughts . With regards.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Ah, chiaroscuro. And this poem reminds me of the Zen anecdote re monks debating whether the flag or the wind was moving. Neither, avers the master: Your mind is moving.

Contemplating stark phenomena, stripped simplicities, like shadows on the wall, clear the mind of clutter, which is an amazingly effective way of entering into greater Spirit.

Your words are elegant and flowing and woven into the living moment. Striking images too.

Fine work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

They definitely are the shadows of the mind.. very gripping poem.. simple yet crisp words.. loved the idea of the poem.. :)

Regards,
Poetic Soul

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
LSS
I was reading one of your reviewers, who compared shadows to their dark side and missed the beauty they express. Speaking as an artist, without shadows we could never define the objects or our intentions. We could never see the subtle shades that make up beauty and define the edges of what we have come to know. Both the good and the bad come with shadows.
Lar


Posted 15 Years Ago


"I sit and stare at them
Are they the shadows of my mind ?"
and
"Shadows on the wall
Sway with the whims of light"

You both answer your question and pose a new one .
If light is life, it must by its own virtue cast shadows.
To follow the theme below

A Saint would only be a saint , as he/she is a bigger flame, and can't see the shadows.
Isn't part of the terror of the Gods the shadows they cast ?

~Raven


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

When we are alone those shadows will play with us, won't they? Fantastic words to describe the scene entirely along with perfect pictures. You certainly captured the whole feeling in your poem quite delicately.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The elusive thoughts that we entertain about anything or nothing, are only shadows of the mind...ever changing,
oscillating from bright to dim and sometimes nonexistent to the point that they escape our awareness altogether....
but they are always there lurking in the darkness, waiting for the light. You have captured your shadows so vividly
as to bring them to life in three D. Wonderful and very visual.
Love/Liz/angelinmypocket



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

There beneath the shadow laid the light of the forgotten
The cold of the darkness consumed the warmth of the light
Allowing angels to dwell and sleep
The peace of the nothingness rested in the depths


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I don't think your mind has any shadows, but it certainly has wonderful observation skill.
I loved the movement you managed to create here Raj...not a trifling thing to achieve on paper.
As always your work is unique and beautiful.
Helen xx

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

What I find very impressive with your way of being able to create depth with your pieces through simple concepts. It gives vastness, and its analogy brings forth a new concept of understanding a parallel idea.

Your fundamentals are always immaculate, and done well.

Your colors are also seen well, you have a distinctive writing style that is your signature. There is a powerful and insightful identity in your pieces. They have been well evolved and established.

A wonderful piece.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1181 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 1, 2008
Last Updated on September 1, 2008

Author

Candle in the wind
Candle in the wind

Calcutta, India



About
Flickering and blazing,not yet blown out in the wind... the flame has to sustain itself when the rains set in... Beyond norms and overrated sanity " We look before and after And pine for what i.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..