A Night for you

A Night for you

A Story by Butterfly Fly Away
"

This is a story based in Pakistan, it is purely fiction Enjoy!

"

Uzma gazed through the window, past the glass, at the dress. The headscarf was decorated with golden beads fixed onto the hem. Leaf patterns had been woven onto the carmine red. Uzma imagined the silk touching her bare skin for the first time, imagined it had been stitched with adoration and care. Uzma covered her hair before entering the shop.

‘How much is this?' She pointed to where it was displayed in the window.
‘Twenty six thousand rupees,’ the shop assistance answered. He smirked at her pronunciation. ‘You don't sound local?’
Uzma tutted and turned away. The shopkeeper went to retrieve the dress.  He wrapped the dress in a plastic bag and rich vibrant wrapping paper. ‘Is it for you then?’ he spoke with same smirk.

Uzma finally looked at him and replied ‘Yes, tomorrow is the big day,’ Uzma grabbed the bag as the shopkeeper laughed.

‘What are you laughing at?’ Uzma asked, as she threw the money onto the till.

‘I am laughing at you my dear, I can tell you’re not from here,’ he said still grinning. She examined him and noticed that the shoes he was wearing had big holes at the front. Uzma reached for her purse taking an extra hundred rupees, but this time passing it to him.

‘Keep the change,’ Uzma left breathing a sigh of relief. She had been warned not tell anyone where she was from. How could she be rude to a man who did not even have a proper pair of shoes?

Walking through the Bazaar, many children held on tight to their mothers. Seventy percent of the women were covered from head to toe either in black or grey. Their eyes shined through the veils and the Burka covered their body shapes. To Uzma all of them appeared the same. Uzma did her best not to stare at their faces; she did not want to be seen as rude. But this could not be helped, as each woman she passed looked at her laughing or whispering to one and another. As she walked through the rush of women she questioned their life style. Her stomach growled at her as the smell of spices filled the air, and the mini food stalls scattered around the bazaar disturbed her taste buds. She stopped twice at food stalls, but the queue was too long. The urge to reach home was greater.

 

‘Mum I’m home!’ Uzma shouted taking her headscarf and shoes off, before making her way into the living room.

‘Come and sit down beta, I have a surprise for you,’ Mrs Khan spoke and kissed Uzma on the cheek. She opened her handbag and drew out a small box covered in pure green velvet and then wrapped in silver lace. Uzma smiled. This was the moment she had been waiting for ever since she had arrived here. She waited for her mum to open the case and with a graceful smile; she held the ring and slid onto her left finger. The diamond sparkled at Uzma as the gold filled her finger.

‘Thank you mum, it’s perfect.’ Uzma took the ring and returned to its box. Her mother winked at her as she left the room.

It was getting dark outside; the moon could be seen as it appeared to watch over the night. Uzma looked at her mobile every few minutes. No matter how many times she looked there was no new message or missed call. Uzma sighed and left the room to go and sit on the balcony located on the top floor. The house was built with eight bedrooms, six bathrooms and a huge kitchen connecting with the lounge. The balcony had been decorated with plants and purple and pink handmade cushions had been placed on the floor.  Uzma took a seat right on the edge placing her legs in the gap of the banister, taking a few moments just to adore the stars that sparkled.

    Mrs. Khan was busy adding the final touches to all her clothes. Uzma carried on staring at the stars with the phone in one hand and a cup of tea in the other. She sat breathing in the winter air. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she looked at the photographs saved on her phone. She had to delete each one. Uzma laughed at the ones that reminded her of Jason. Her hands paused when she nearly pressed to delete the photograph taken at the Pleasure Beach in Blackpool. She was eating chips and Jason was pulling a comical face, her face light as the tears stopped falling.

‘Come down dear, dinner is ready. Your aunt is here too,’ Uzma’s mother called from the bottom of the stairs. Uzma rushed down to see if her aunt had bought Zubin along.

 

‘Aslam "ol " Alikum, come and eat,’ her auntie spoke in a polite manner, yet, irritating. The thought that after tomorrow, she would be her mother in law, made her uneasy and she fidgeted on the chair.

Uzma pulled a chair out, and despite her auntie’s desire, Uzma sat next to her father, and began to eat.

‘Your mum tells me you have the wedding dress.’

Uzma smiled at aunt, her mind wondered to where Zubin was tutting a few times to ask where he was. It was seen as disrespectful as the woman was meant to reserve her thoughts for her husband to be.

Uzma finished the meal in silence and ignored the conversation at the table. Leaving the servants to attend to the mess.

She looked towards the clock, the small hand was on nine, and the big hand hit six. On the calendar the date reads twenty fifth of December. Outside, the weather was still warm just a little breeze that moved the leaves now and then.

Entering her bedroom, Uzma logged onto the computer. But the screen was blank, sighing she took the pointer to shut down mode, Jason logged on into Skype.

‘Uzma, how are you honey?’

‘I’m hanging on,’ Uzma typed whilst keeping one eye on her bedroom door.

‘I miss you, the dog too.’

Uzma turned her webcam on for Jason to see.

‘You look nice.’

‘I have to go. I will never forget you.’ Uzma deleted Jason from her contacts list and turned off the computer.

***

Uzma was awoken by the beautician; she was here to make her look stunning. Uzma glanced at the clock and it only read seven am. She moaned a few times whilst the beautician prepared for the makeover . Mrs. Khan walked into the bedroom with a tray full of traditional biscuits and a cup of coffee and sat next to Uzma.

‘Eat something beta,’ she opened a packet of biscuits.

‘Mum.’

‘Jee are you okay beta.’

Uzma tried to reply, but her heart stopped as she tried to explain this wasn’t what she dreamed about.

‘I love you, mum,’ Uzma finally spoke and squeezed her mother’s hand. Mrs. Khan hugged her daughter before leaving the room.

             The car arrived to take the family to the wedding hall. The drive was going to take at least half an hour, as the mud had still not dried from the rain a few days ago and puddles were still enormous. Wheels locked themselves in the filth, as the driver drove up and down hills and mountains that made Pakistan a place from heaven. Uzma kept her eyes to herself, looking down at her wedding dress her mind raced with excitement as her heart beat faster her hands got sweatier at the anticipation of meeting Zubin. They had only met a few times since the arriving to Pakistan.

Arriving at the wedding hall, she didn’t know where to look first, her smile uncontrollable, the decorations fascinated her. Her seat for the day, was in the middle of the stage connected to Zubins. The stage had been decorated with bright coloured balloons, with a carved wooden arch over the couple. As Uzma stepped on to the stage her heels clicked on to the floor creating a tap dancing rhythm. Bollywood music blasted from all the corners. Waiters delivered  coke and 7UP to everyone.   Crowds of people all dressed in shiny outfits surrounded the newly wed. Aunties, uncles, nieces, nephews’ relatives from all over Pakistan gathered to see a couple that hardly knew each other.

‘Doesn’t she look beautiful?’ one of the ladies muttered whilst standing behind Uzma

‘I heard she has lots of money,’ another lady replied.

‘I heard she is going to take the entire family to the U.K.’  Hearing this Uzma spun her head around to see who had said it. Before she could speak, Zubin spoke ‘turn back  around,  just ignore them.’  It was the first time he had spoken to Uzma since the day began.  He tried to hold her hand a few times. Her hands were covered in patterned henna, the slim fingers were now looking fragile, and her face glowed, as the makeup covered the bags under her eyes. The day seemed to drag, as the couple made pretended conversation now and then with the crowd.

As the guests began to leave, Uzma began to play with her dress and Zubin finally held her hand.

‘Are you ready?’ Her mum whispered in Uzma’s ear. In Pakistani culture a bride is not allowed to show much emotion. Occasionally a smile but only for photographs. Mrs. Khan lifted her daughters dress and walked out of the entrance Zubin and his family followed behind. Mr. Khan stood holding the car door open. Tears fell as Uzma entered the car, Zubin followed. She could not look at her father or mother. Uzma and Zubin sat in the back of the car. She waved bye at her parents once the car began to move, Zubin held her and tight kissing her on the forehead.

It seemed pointless that the in laws had gone to so much effort to decorate the car. Fresh roses had been taped on to the bonnet spelling Zubin and Uzma, Allah Bless. The thought was sweet.

Reaching her new home, Uzma lifted her arms that were weighed down with gold bangles, making her way up the stairs. Zubin had his arms around her shoulders. The hallway had been laid out with petals from fresh cherry red roses. Candles lit the room she was going to spend the night in. Zubin had covered the bed with more white petals, as a border dangled above the bed. The room was filled with photographs of Zubin and his parents. A light fragrance could be smelt and Uzma was escorted to the bed. Zubins told his parents to leave the room and locked the door. Uzma started to sweat, this was expected but the moment now had arrived. He came close and touched Uzma’s lips and then gently kissing her. Her heart pounded and she could feel her pulse over take her feeling of calm.

‘I love you,’ Zubin whispered.

Uzma was numb to all sound and conversation; she played with her dress, while Zubin pressed the play button on a remote control. Within seconds classical Indian music could be heard. Uzma took a deep breath and finally opened her mouth, ‘thank you,’ she spoke bringing her eyes down to the bed.

‘Do you want a drink?’ Zubin asked.

‘No, thank you.’

Uzma looked at Zubin and closed her eyes. She sealed her lips, as images of Jason replaced Zubins face. She tightened her eyes before seizing them to release.

‘You’re seeing him aren’t you?’ Surprised by his question, Uzma widened his eyes.  She fiddled with her bangles looking back down at her chosen dress.

‘How do you know?’ She sighed and moved off the bed to stand.

‘I hacked into your Facebook account,’ he laughed as he raised his left eye brow. ‘Come and sit down janu don’t worry I don’t mind.’

Calmed by the kindness in his voice, Uzma sat back down on the edge of the bed. The music stopped playing and Zubin leaned over towards Uzma giving a kiss on her cheek.

‘You look tired?’

‘I am.’ Uzma rubbed her eyes trying to take her heavy scarf off.

‘Come here, let me help.’ He reached over, and removed the material from her head.

Uzma shuffled away from Zubin in speed, and stood up from the bed. ‘Where is the toilet?’

Zubin pointed towards a door in the same room.

‘Thanks.’

Zubin waited until Uzma closed the bathroom door, and then took out Uzma’s phone from her purse. He checked through her messages, but the inbox was almost empty apart from some messages wishing her good luck for the wedding. He kept one eye on the bathroom door as he put her phone back.

‘What’s wrong?’ Zubin called standing outside the bathroom door.

‘One minute.’

Zubin knocked onto the door and then turned the handle, trying to open the door. The didn’t open.

‘Can I come in honey?’

‘One minute.’

Zubin stood outside the door waiting it for to open. Moments later Uzma stepped out, she had changed out of her wedding dress into a royal blue shulwar kameez.

‘That was my job.’ Zubin spoke as he looked at Uzma.

‘It was getting to heavy for me.’ Uzma made her way to the bed, and hid herself under the duvet.

Zubin stayed silent watching her slide and hiding her head. He walked up and down the room before turning out the light.

The room was no pitch black, no sound could be heard. Zubin had no choice but to lie down. He lay his head onto the pillow next to Uzma. She turned the other way and closed her eyes. Zubin put his arms around her. She didn’t react to his gesture. Zubin tried to close his eyes, but sleep did not come. Instead he spent hours staring at the darkness in the room. Little stars twinkled when he did try to close his eyes; afraid to touch he decided to keep his hands to himself. Instead he convinced himself Uzma was nervous and maybe getting too close was not so wise.

            Zubin woke as his ears tickled by the loud morning call of the rooster. Zubin bounced out of bed and opened the curtains. His room was built outside a beautiful view of the mountains; the sun was beginning to shine. Clouds smiled at each other and Zubin wrapping his fingers around the banister. His boxers and shirt still crimpled from the long night

Knock! Knock! ‘Hope you two are decent I am coming in,’ it was Uzma’s mother in law Shakeela. Uzma was still sleeping on the bed, ‘are you sore sweetie?’ she whispered in Uzma’s ear. Zubin looked at his mother and went to the bathroom.

Uzma moved and sat up in bed,   ‘Yes I suppose,’ Uzma replied wiping the broken sleep from her eyes. ‘You know beta, when he was ten, even then he was big, I always knew he would make his wife proud,’ she grinned and kissed Uzma on the forehead as she left the room.

Uzma’s heart pounded as she tiptoed around the bedroom. She gazed at the view outside and thoughts of jumping off the balcony ran through her thoughts, whilst she reached for her bag. Frowning at the fact there was no new message. 

‘Waiting for an important call?’ Zubin spoke standing in the bathroom door.

Uzma dropped the phone to the cool marble floor. The screen smashed into miniature pieces, she tried to pick up the glass. ‘Leave it for the cleaners.’ Zubin grunts and walks back to the bathroom leaving the door wide open.  Taking a deep breath of the morning air, her eyes scanned the room in a frantic search for an answer to question she didn’t know.

‘Did he not text you then?’ Zubin speaking as he sat next to Uzma with a towel wrapped around his legs. Feeling of nerves and disgust overwhelmed, ‘No, he hasn’t.’ Uzma started to cry. Zubin puts his arms around her and kisses her cheek.

‘Don’t worry.’ Zubin reassures her.

‘I will let you go back to him.’ Uzma looks in horror as her hands unlock themselves, she stands up. Taking off the bangles that chimed her beauty, she threw them to the ground; each one banged making loud noise.

‘Calm down.’ Zubin tried to hold her arms, while shaking her. He wiped her tears and lifted her as he laid her on the bed.

‘Look, I know you did this to please your parents.’

Uzma pauses and stops trying to fight Zubin.

‘I’m sorry.’ She took a deep breath expanding both longs and finally held his hand.

‘It’s okay,’ he moves to the other side of the room, and begins to get dressed.

‘You can go back to him. But there is something I want you to do.’

‘Anything,’ Uzma rushed her reply.

‘Just call me and mum to the U.K.’ He spoke standing staring into the mirror that covers most of the wall.

Uzma stood up, and walked towards Zubin.

‘If you give me time. I can try and forget about Jason.’ Uzma said in a fragile voice.

‘No need to do that.’

‘I can try.’

‘No just call me and mum to the UK, and then give me a divorce.’

Uzma deadened by his comments and runs out to the balcony and closes the glass door, leaving him in the room.

‘I can’t love you Uzma. This is love for need.’

Uzma opened the glass doors and lets him into her space.

‘What do we do then?’

‘What I suggested?’

‘I can’t break mums heart, if I divorce you, she will never forgive me.’ Uzma knelt down onto the hard marble and hides her head in shame.

‘I can’t either.’

‘Can we just lead separate lives, even after we live together?’ Uzma started to cry again.

‘Look it’s just a few days, please just pretend. For our parents sake.’

‘Then what!’ Uzma shouted at him.

Zubin sat on the floors next to Uzma.

‘Look go back, call me to there. I will not interfere as long as I am in the UK.’

Uzma stood as the weight of his words lay heavy on her shoulders. The earth where she stood disappeared and her legs lost strength. Questions and questions ran around and around. She had not blinked but the room looked fuzzy. Call him to the U.K? She thought.

© 2011 Butterfly Fly Away


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Please let me know if I can prove the ending

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
1 Review
Added on November 26, 2011
Last Updated on November 26, 2011
Tags: love, friendship, wedding, relationships