Twists and Turns

Twists and Turns

A Story by RemmyB
"

Hope

"
Allow me take you back to my NYSC days in Ogun state, Abeokuta to be precise.
I had countless affairs with many women but there was this particular girl I met "Showemimo". We were so into each other that she changed many things about me.
She got pregnant in the process and I suggested an abortion as usual but she insisted on keeping the baby because abortion was against her belief and God shuns such.
Ode ni e, I'm a Christian too... Infact my parents are ministers in the vine yard. I answered her, but she insisted on keeping the baby.

I saw this as an attempt to scatter my future, so I planned on aborting the pregnancy by force. The plan went well as i saw her bleed after giving her the concoction I bought.
She cried over it and I apologised for doing it without her consent.
She spent three days in my house because I didn't want her parents to know about it.
I finally finished serving as a Corp member and travelled back to Lagos without telling her.
As a sharp Lagos boy. She called my line countless times and I was forced to change my sim card because her calls was getting unbearable.

We as humans have various shortcomings, mine was women. I already changed my ways but it was late.
A year later, I decided to move on with this fine sister I met in the church. It was after we got married the doctor diagnosed that I had low sperm count.
How do I get to tell Rachel?“ I don't blame God for not giving me a child” I said regretfully.
Remembering I aborted for countless ladies, my conscience kept telling me my fruitless marriage was as a result of the atrocities I had committed in the past.

We decided to adopt a baby till God answers our prayer.
We were watching a program on TV when we heard of a little boy found on the high way. We saw it as a chance to have the baby to ourselves since he was still young.
We signed the necessary papers and due documents for the adoption.
We named him “Priceless” because he was so adorable than what money could buy.

Four years later Rachel and I had a little issue and she filed up a divorce paper.
Rachel please, “I beg you in God's name we can settle this without getting a divorce”. I said
Her response broke my heart; "This marriage can't work, I can't continue to live with you knowing you have a low sperm count" Don't you get?
We can't have a baby, you are fruitless. Rachel replied.
She packed her stuffs and left me with Priceless. I felt bad about it as I saw Priceless staring at us from the dining table with tears falling from his eyes.

I took the responsibility of bathing and cleaning Priceless has I've planned not to waste my time taking another wife.
I always get late to work because of priceless, but the craziest thing is as each day passes by my love for him kept increasing

One faithful Saturday I decided to cut his foot nails when I saw something I've never noticed under his foot. A name was written there "Shokunbi".
Oh this must have been his birth name. So I decided to call him by the name.

Ten years later, my best friend came visiting and he called my attention to something I never noticed before.
Has anyone told you Priceless looks so much like you? He asked!
I smiled and answered him, abi na.
I returned back inside after my friend drove out of my compound.
I thought of what he said, picked my childhood pictures and compared them with Priceless' look.
Lo and behold it was as if priceless was the one in the pictures 😀😀😀

One friday evening we decided to eat at one of the biggest restaurant in town. I was driving when my phone rang, I wanted to check who the caller was when I lost control.
We had an accident and we were hospitalized. Mine was small but Priceless had more injuries to the point that he needed blood transfusion.
I felt so sad when the doctor told me this. I was still thinking on how to get a donor when the doctor said we have similar blood group.

Immediately the doctor left, I remembered all the things I sensed on Priceless. Where he was found, what was written on his foot and how he grew looking like me. I was able to trace all this to my NYSC days.
So two months after we left the hospital, I decided to travel to Abeokuta with Priceless. I went straight to Showemimo's family house and introduced myself.
No one remembered me but as I was about leaving I saw Showemimo returning home from the farm. She recognized me immediately she saw me.

We sat and talked at length. She explained how she noticed the pregnancy started growing back two months after I drugged her.
I looked everywhere for you, called you, sent you various text after which i gave up since I couldn't find you,Showemimo explained.

I was about asking her of the child when she started crying.
She said things was so hard that she couldn't take care of the baby so she dropped him at the high way with the hope of the baby finding help for himself.
I moved close to her, held tight and heard her say Shokunbi my son, alive or dead, Where ever you are please forgive me.
I was shocked at the name she mentioned. I further asked her some questions after which she told me she wrote the boy's name underneath his feet.

Priceless and I returned back to Lagos with Showemimo and started a new life as a family.
Just this morning while dressing for church, she complained of dizziness. I thought it was because she stayed up late not until she threw up on me.
😧😧😧
Could this be what am thinking?
The doctor just ran a pregnancy test on her now. We're still waiting for the test result!!!

© 2020 RemmyB


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

19 Views
Added on September 16, 2020
Last Updated on September 16, 2020

Author

RemmyB
RemmyB

Ibadan, Nigeria