Mother's Day without a mother

Mother's Day without a mother

A Story by Randy Johnson

This is the first time in over four decades that I don't have a mother on Mother's Day. Mom's name was Agnes Johnson. She was sixty-four.

We admitted her to Fort Sanders Hospital in Knoxville on January 26. The doctors did everything they could to save her but they were unsuccessful. They gave her a hysterectomy and amputated her left leg. They tried to wean her off the respirator a few times but they were unable to.

On March 4 my brother and I had to make a hard and painful decision. We decided to have her taken off the respirator. We did that because she couldn't get better and she was suffering.

She died 1 or 2 AM on March 6. When I woke, I saw that she had passed. I hope nobody else has to make the same decision that we did.

Mom was a very special person. For several years she gave money to the homeless and to the Oral Roberts Ministry. She also gave 15-20 giant print bibles to people.

Let me give you an example of how nice she was. When I was at kmart in 1979, I had enough money to buy one record. I was looking at two records and was trying to decide which one to buy. Here came Mom and bought one of the records for me so I could have both. That act of kindness is something I'll always remember.

Mom truly cared about others. Most people who met her, liked her. She was a great mom and a great person. May she rest in peace.

© 2014 Randy Johnson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
Added on May 12, 2013
Last Updated on January 25, 2014
Tags: Death, Mother's Day, Mother

Author

Randy Johnson
Randy Johnson

TN



About
I was born in Middlesboro, Kentucky on August 20, 1971. I've lived in East Tennessee since 1973. My hobbies are writing and drawing. more..

Writing