Forty Years Of Playing Video Games

Forty Years Of Playing Video Games

A Story by Randy Johnson

I've been playing video games for forty years. I began playing video games in April of 1981 at the age of nine. The first game that I played was Phoenix. For those who may not know, Phoenix was an arcade game that was released by Centuri in 1980.
When my brother started talking about playing arcade games, I thought I wouldn't be interested, but it made me curious. I decided to check out the Phoenix arcade machine at Kroger. I put a quarter in the coin slot and fell in love. I now own a Phoenix arcade machine that I bought in 2002 but sadly, it no longer works.
I loved the Phoenix arcade game so much that I was hoping to win $1000 to buy one for myself forty years ago. In 1981, Pepsi was having a contest. Each Pepsi lid had a letter under it. If a person could collect the letters C-H-A-L-L-E-N-G-E, he or she would win $1000. I collected every letter except the letter A. The letter A was extremely difficult to find so I failed to win the $1000.
I also started playing other arcade games. Some of the ones that I played were Gorf, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Carnival, Centipede, Asteroids, etc. Even though these were arcade machines, I never once played an arcade game in an arcade. I played them at grocery stores, department stores and flea markets.
The first video game that I owned was Scramble by Tomy. Tomy's Scramble was a handheld game. It was based on the Scramble arcade game that was released by Stern/Konami. I got it for Christmas in 1982. The arcade Scramble was better than Tomy's handheld scramble. But because Tomy's version was easier to play, I liked it better than the Scramble arcade game.
Mom bought me an Atari 2600 in July of 1983. I used to hate to go to Revco pharmacies. Mom would drag me in those pharmacies to buy school supplies. They were dull stores and I hated them. But when I learned that Revco started selling Atari 2600 games for $5.00-$5.50 each, Revco went from being dull to excellent. Other stores charged about $30.00 for Atari games. Because the games were so cheap, I was able to easily buy them. Revco pharmacies quickly became my favorite stores.
It is amazing how much video games have improved since 1981. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined how beautiful the graphics of today's games would be. I own many different video game consoles. I own the Sony PS2, PS3, PS4, the Nintendo Switch, the XBOX ONE, etc.
Some people may think that it's silly for a man who is almost fifty to still be playing video games. But I'm a video game junkie. I've been a junkie since 1981 and I'll be one for the rest of my life. And because video games have improved so much over the years, I love them even more now than I did forty years ago.

© 2021 Randy Johnson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on April 6, 2021
Last Updated on April 6, 2021
Tags: Arcade, Games, Nostalgia

Author

Randy Johnson
Randy Johnson

TN



About
I was born in Middlesboro, Kentucky on August 20, 1971. I've lived in East Tennessee since 1973. My hobbies are writing and drawing. more..

Writing