Wounded

Wounded

A Poem by Ranger Kessel

Her hand shakes with a limp. Like it wants to go out dancing while shes at home playing cards. A moist tissue rubbing sweat from her brow.

She's confined now. A home bird. More of a wrinkling corpse now than the free spirit she was.

She wears her confinement like a disease. It pulls at her.

Tying black bags below her dry green eyes. Once the rage of style her hair flies disheveled and grey. A clump of make up here and there cake up among swollen pores.

She has a habit of finding the wrong jesus on her TV.

Breaking simple bread with the overfed.

She eats.
She sleeps.
She watches the colors on her TV.

She feels no love going to bed on an empty sofa. The sound of gunshots and sirens are her dark lullabies.

Three pills to say good night.

In the morning the cold warmth of sunshine's embrace, picking that scab that will never go away.

A growing garden of wounds.

© 2022 Ranger Kessel


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This one is about someone who has seen better days. She's old and alone and her days are all pretty much the same. We are not told the reason for her confinement, but age and health seem to be a big part of it. What are her wounds? Probably the ones we all collect as we age. A very somber offering, this one.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Aging is not for sissies! This poor woman is the epitome of so many who become home bound, and begin to wither in many ways….so many small issues that become big ones…. And living in a city with harsh noise 24/7 is not exactly pleasant….a boring day: eat, sleep and watch TV…. Happens to many of us. Nice write and relatable.
Best, B




Posted 1 Year Ago


Reminds me of the words of T.S. Eliot in The Hollow Men,
"This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper."
Very tragic and quite depressing.
Your power of evocation is strong in this piece
with descriptions, sparse and poignant.
Good solid write, I enjoyed the read.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Ranger Kessel

1 Year Ago

Thank you for the review
Very emotional write, as once a nurse I have seen this a lot in the geriatric population, it’s a poem that could have been taken right from my journals but way better writing

Posted 1 Year Ago


Ranger Kessel

1 Year Ago

Thank you for your time
Painful. your talent with conveying the feelings of loneliness, numbness, emptiness is great. I could picture her, feel her... alone, with no one not even a pet. Though it's hurtful, but it's very well written my friend. Peace, Light and Love 💕

Posted 1 Year Ago


Ranger Kessel

1 Year Ago

Thanks for stopping by
This one is about someone who has seen better days. She's old and alone and her days are all pretty much the same. We are not told the reason for her confinement, but age and health seem to be a big part of it. What are her wounds? Probably the ones we all collect as we age. A very somber offering, this one.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This hit so close to home, it blew my entire house up, lol. This isn’t a fun place to be in, but you describe it so, so well. I can’t believe I stumbled across such an intense, beautiful piece, so befitting of recent months and just painful, hits you deeply in the chest. Every line is amazing and I just love your writing style. Very inspiring and so amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Ranger Kessel

1 Year Ago

Thank you fir your time and nice words. Im glad you enjoyed this
This was great to read. Reminding me of myself. Great work!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Ranger Kessel

1 Year Ago

Thanks for the review
Too common place
I would suggest it is called ageing

Posted 1 Year Ago


this is intensely sad...Part of this reminded me of my mother towards the end of her life.
And partly reminded me of NY City where I grew up in the early days of my life.
the sirens yes...the gunsmoke came much later when I had moved from there.
I don't want a life like this....it is being dead before being dead....and lately I have had this concern of growing old...it's just there.
this poem is fantastic...one of the best I have read on this site in the 14 years I have been here.
j.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ranger Kessel

1 Year Ago

You are too kind jacob. Thanks you
Poignant piece. An old woman once confidebt, outgoing and youthful is now confined to her home. It appears to be in a war zone and she needs tablets to sleep. No wonder the sun's rays can't penetrate. Some wounds that accumulate over time, layer on layer are just too deep. Made me think of Ukraine Ranger. Laden with imagery is this piece.

Chris

Posted 1 Year Ago


Ranger Kessel

1 Year Ago

Thank you for the kind words

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 20, 2022
Last Updated on June 22, 2022

Author

Ranger Kessel
Ranger Kessel

Green Bay, WI



About
I like rhymes. Humor. Love. And your mother. more..

Writing
A Barn A Barn

A Poem by Ranger Kessel


5 5

A Poem by Ranger Kessel



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Caves Caves

A Poem by CD Campbell