Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Emily
"

22 February 3160

"

Which Log would you like to view?

 

[1] Opening Day – February 20th, 3160
[2] Day Two – February 21st, 3160
[3] Day Three – February 22nd, 3160
[4] Day Four – February 23rd, 3160
[5] Day Ten – February 29th, 3160
[6] Day Fifteen – March 5th, 3160
[7] Day Thirty-One – March 21st, 3160
[8] Problem – June 3rd, 3160
[9] One Year! – March 1st, 3161
[10] Evelyn – April 19th, 3161
[11] Two Years! – March 1st, 3162
[12] Three Years – March 1st, 3163
[13] Engine Shutdown – October 28th, 3163
[14] Technical Issues – December 24th, 3163
[15] Four Years – February 29th, 3164
[16] Celebration – March 15th, 3164
[17] Disease – July 30th, 3164
[18] Revelation – September 23rd, 3164
[19] Deaths – December 31st, 3164
[20] Five Years – March 1st, 3165
[21] Last Log – April 3rd, 3165

 
Accessing Day Three – February 22nd, 3160.
 
            Adam Smith is again at his desk. The look of happiness that he was wearing the day before is still present, and everything seems to be going quite well. In fact…
            “Everything is going quite well. Yesterday, everyone seemed to get into the swing of things pretty well. I expect people to get lost for a couple more days, but Oasis isn’t too hard to figure out. Evelyn’s enjoying the quarters I had secretly built for her.
            “Living space takes up a majority of Oasis, with the rest of the area split between farming and harvesting of other resources. We’ve built over fifty individual homes, and then twenty housing complexes. Housing was given out by needs first. Whoever needed and individual home most got one. The rest were given out on a first-come, first-serve basis. 
            “Ten families have individual homes. Five have infant children, and the other five simply have a lot of kids. Luckily, these families were able to stick together. Others have been torn apart. We can’t focus on that, though. These people are going to survive, and that’s all that matters.” Nevertheless, a disturbed look crosses Smith’s face. He’s bothered by the fact.
            “Moving on. Yesterday, Oasis proved itself quite capable of supporting human life. We’re not completely cut off from the outside world yet; I spoke of the water system yesterday, and food is being grown. As much as I looked forward to opening Oasis up to other people, I was extremely nervous. Everything was based on this project being successful. If anything went wrong, there was no way we could get it repaired in time. Everyone we’ve sworn to protect would have died, and I would have been responsible for giving them that false hope, and then snatching it away.
            “But that’s not a problem. Everything’s running at just the pace we need it to run. Our scientists found a pocket of gasses that they hadn’t spotted before. It’s a couple kilometers out, and they could chemically restructure the gasses inside, changing them into air for everyone to breathe. Besides that, we’ve got the technology to produce water and breathable air.
            “The scientists did spot something, though. They said that there’s a small pressure problem on the southern wall. Scans indicated a mass of rock there. The rock, compressed by all the earth around it, has been putting more pressure on the structure than the dirt would have. It’s an easy problem to fix; I’m surprised we didn’t catch it sooner. It’ll be completely repaired by the point of no return.
            “Before closing Oasis off to the outside, we put cameras on the surface. They’ve been placed in small boxes of plasteel, and were placed to look in multiple directions. We should be able to watch as the Earth slowly dies. It’ll be hard, but we have to, so that we know when everything’s gone. That will be a grim day.
            “Another thing I’ve failed to mention this far,” Smith says, smiling again. “I haven’t quite logged the actual layout of Oasis.  Here,” he plugs the camera into his computer again.
            The screen shows footage from security cameras again. It’s a hallway with doors along either side. Signs are above and beside the doors, but the security camera is too far away to pick up what they say. “This is one of the halls coming off of the main Atrium. The Atrium is accessed through many different elevators spread all throughout Oasis. Anyone can get in them, and travel from their area to the Atrium. 
“Once in the Atrium,” the screen changes to show an amazing circle-like room with hundreds of doors along the entire expanse. “You can get anywhere. This door,” one is suddenly surrounded by a red circle, “leads to the market hallway. All the different food markets are accessed through elevators there. There are also living residence hallways, and individual housing hallways. Each elevator leads to a specific place.
“I’m afraid,” Smith’s face is visible again as he unhooks the camera from the computer, “that Oasis just isn’t very exciting yet. Tomorrow, observation starts on individual consumption of food and water. Kinks in the system will start showing up eventually, but today is just a routine day. I’ll be back tomorrow. Third transmission over.”

 

 

What would you like to do?
 
[1] View log again.
[2] Return to log menu.
[3] Return to root menu.

 
Loading log menu, please stand by. . .


© 2008 Emily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

274 Views
Added on February 6, 2008


Author

Emily
Emily

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada



About
uhhh hi D: more..

Writing
Teaser Teaser

A Story by Emily


Lucidity Lucidity

A Story by Emily