The Letter

The Letter

A Poem by Robert A. Pacheco
"

This is a story within the poem. Please enjoy. This has been the most pleasurable writing I've created so far.

"

THE LETTER

 

Children play, to the end of the day,
Not understanding why their father’s away.
They go home to their mother, crying and say,
“Where did daddy go? We want him to play.”

 

Mother cries, Knowing why,
Her husband’s away, on this very day.
He left for work, and never came home,
Now this happy family’s all alone.

Grandfather prays, that his son’s okay,
He knew this would happen all along, as the days wore on.
“Son’s away, for a very long time,”
Then a letter comes, written in lines.

 

“Mother, father, my wife and my kids, please don’t be mad, and what I did.
I’m far from home, feeling so alone,
But you’re safe and sound, my hear’s at peace for now.
I’m helping others, bringing peace to their land,
There are so many dangers, still at hand.
War isn’t pretty, please understand, this morning I buried my friend in the sand.
Please don’t tell the children, but I thought you should know,
My thoughts race of you all, my heart’s still at home.
I love you all, and I want you to see, that I’m helping others, to be free.
I have to go now, I hear gunfire and booms. To my children, make sure you clean your rooms.
Listen to mommy, grandma and grandpa too. Please be strong, it’s all up to you.”

 

With the conclusion of the letter, mother cries.
Grandpa hands her a handkerchief, to dry her eyes.
They all hug, they all cry,
Praying that their son, their husband, their father, hasn’t died.

 

Five months later, mother stands at the door, holding something, just newly born.
She stares out the window, and cries when she sees, her husband’s home at last, but his face as solemn as can be.

Sitting in the dark, talking with them all, he speaks not of what he’s seen, he doesn’t feel so tall.

As they go off to bed, his wife, on his chest, rests her head.
She sits up, and sees his arm, healing wounds are found, and she becomes alarmed.
“How’d you get this wound?” She asks, pointing to one.
“I took that one for John.”

“And this one?” She asks, holding his hand gently, relaxed.
“That was for Nick, his gun jammed, and clicked. I forced him down, and took all these”
He said with a frown. He pulled up his shirt, “Two in the chest, and I fell to the dirt.
I woke up, and seen all this gauze, then I was sent home, I finished my cause.
I’m here now, with a purple heart, I kept my head, I never fell apart.
You were all in my mind, that kept me alive,
Now I’m here once again, with my family, the job’s at an end.”

 

And with that, the lights were turned off.
What is such a good story, will never be lost.


By: Robert A. Pacheco

© 2008 Robert A. Pacheco


Author's Note

Robert A. Pacheco
I have yet to write any more poems after this one. Though I've never been to war, I've known many who have. I've not specified what part of the Service this man was in. I did that on purpose. It can be for any type of service. For that, I am proud to say, this has been the best write I think I've written so far. I hope you enjoy this.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I did enjoy this, Robert. Some stories are best told through poetry, and you did a great job at combining fiction with flow. I love the contrasts you present, like the necessity of war against its strifes, or the solem mood when he appears again against the relief that he is still alive. Great write, you have every reason to be proud of it.

-Travis

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very touching story within this peice. wonderfully written. nicely done.


Great Write.


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very touching! I like that you didn't say what part of the service he was in.... This is a great piece.... Truly a heart touching piece.... I love it!!! Has a great flow to it too.... GREAT JOB

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I did enjoy this, Robert. Some stories are best told through poetry, and you did a great job at combining fiction with flow. I love the contrasts you present, like the necessity of war against its strifes, or the solem mood when he appears again against the relief that he is still alive. Great write, you have every reason to be proud of it.

-Travis

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wonderful, heartwrenching tale. Told beautifully - it really pulls the heartstrings. Thank you. Great work.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

nice work, its difficult to enfuse a story within a poem but you seem to pull it off well.
The pacing and use of language is great and it flowed nicely throughout.
Thanks for the read request!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Good war poem... nice rhyme sceme it flows very naturally......... tubular write keep up the good work!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

435 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 15, 2008

Author

Robert A. Pacheco
Robert A. Pacheco

North Creek, NY



About
Hello. My name is Rob, and I've only just come back to the Cafe', since 2008. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Spider! Spider!

A Poem by Tania Leigh