Why Modest is NOT Hottest

Why Modest is NOT Hottest

A Story by StayAnchored

   As a Christian girl, modesty is an important part of my life. However, it is easy to fall into the mindset that modesty is purely about how you dress. But in reality, modesty is a reflection of your heart. I googled the definition of modesty and this is what I found, “behavior, manner, or appearance intended to avoid impropriety or indecency”. This simply means that modesty is overall how we live our lives; it is living in a way that goes against the grain of society and brings glory to our Father. It consists of not just our clothing choices, but our actions, words, and attitudes.

     So, this brings me to my point that modesty is not hottest. In today’s society words like ‘pretty’, ‘pure’, ‘lovely’, ‘beautiful’ and ‘godly’ are rarely used to describe women. Instead, words like ‘hot’ and ‘sexy’ are used to describe appearances. Those words might seem nice and flattering at first, but are just descriptions of your earthly body and not who you are in Christ. The goal of a woman who is striving to live for the Lord is to become more like Him. So, we deserve the respect of being called ‘pretty’, ‘pure’, ‘lovely’, ‘beautiful’ and ‘godly’, which is what God created us to be.

 1 Samuel 16:7- “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

   This verse clearly points out the importance of our hearts and keeping them pretty, pure, lovely, beautiful, and most importantly, godly.  Our lives should be so fixated on imitating Christ that godliness is all one sees, not our physical appearance and how much we flaunt it. I am writing this in hopes of reminding all godly women, including myself, the importance of our hearts. If we have our hearts focused on what truly matters, the things of this world will not be able to bring us down.

     Thus, to repeat my point, modest is not hottest. Nor will it ever be, but that is kind of the whole point. The definition I quoted earlier said, “intended to avoid impropriety or indecency”, which basically is everything that society is against. Society is all for flashy, flaunting, and fading things; whereas, Christianity is about following the Lord and making ourselves truly beautiful: like Christ. Yes, modesty is about clothes and how you and I choose to dress. But most importantly it is about our hearts, so strive to live in a way that demonstrates your love for God through modesty.

© 2015 StayAnchored


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Interesting take on modesty. Seems like a flower, pretty and pure and constantly growing. I don't mind being called sexy from time to time (depending on who and the circumstances) but this...this is a good point. It always bothers me when legalism overshadows what God intends. I could rant about that but I should just leave it to praise! Nice one. I give it 100!!!!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

StayAnchored

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the review! :)
Chidoriflower

8 Years Ago

You're very welcome ^-^



Reviews

This is nice! I like how it immediately catches your attention and keeps it. ;D

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

StayAnchored

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the review! :)
This awesome and very, very, very true. A great reminder AND point.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

StayAnchored

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much! I appreciate the review :)
Praise Jesus for the love you have for the Father, stay pure Lillie.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

StayAnchored

8 Years Ago

Thank you for the review! It means a lot that you took the time to read it :)
Interesting take on modesty. Seems like a flower, pretty and pure and constantly growing. I don't mind being called sexy from time to time (depending on who and the circumstances) but this...this is a good point. It always bothers me when legalism overshadows what God intends. I could rant about that but I should just leave it to praise! Nice one. I give it 100!!!!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

StayAnchored

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the review! :)
Chidoriflower

8 Years Ago

You're very welcome ^-^
Wow, this was a great message! This was recommended to me to read by my friend Peace Keeper, and I can see why! This is definitely important for all Christians, men and women, to read! Modesty is not just for women, men can also be immodest. In a world where it is perfectly acceptable to be in public with hardly any clothes on, modesty is not a popular subject, but it is something that every Christian should consider and take to heart! Great job, you did an awesome job at covering this subject! Keep it up!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

StayAnchored

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much! I am glad that my point went across well and that you enjoyed it! :)
Jeremy Hiles

8 Years Ago

You are very welcome! :)
^^ Wow, I really like this message, I think it is very important for all Christians, even men, to read this and understand that our hearts and actions are very important along with how we dress! It is true that society is the opposite of these things, and that is why we are going against our fleshly bodies when we do follow God, but by throwing out the worthless things and giving our hearts to the Lord, we do find that we grow more and more to be like Him, and that is what our goal in life should be! I think you covered this subject perfectly!

Great Job

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

~*~Peace Keeper~*~

8 Years Ago

You're welcome! I wouldn't see why not, it is a great message and who knows maybe it will help other.. read more
StayAnchored

8 Years Ago

That is a good point! Thanks again, girl! :)
~*~Peace Keeper~*~

8 Years Ago

^^ you're welcome!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

445 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 2, 2015
Last Updated on June 2, 2015
Tags: modesty, hottest, jesus, christianity

Author

StayAnchored
StayAnchored

TX



About
Hey!! I'm not very good at the "About Me" thingys so I'll try my best. I am a girl who loves poetry, photography, and having a good time! I love my God whole-heartily, so most of my posts will be a.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..