Draven's Muse

Draven's Muse

A Story by Renee Broughman

CHAPTER 1

                “Rosalie? Honey I found the perfect dress! Rose where are you?” Rosalie could hear her mother shouting from across the store. She smiles as she noticed the Dolce & Gabbana sales representative’s shocked face as her mother continued to call out to her. There was nothing more exciting for Serena Michaelson than shopping. She has the most impeccable taste, and she herself is always dressed to the tens.  That is why I decided to bring her with me to pick out what I am going to wear under my graduation gown. “I am over here mother!” I shout adding to the sales representative’s distress. Tomorrow, finally after six long years I will be graduating college, and if that’s not exciting enough, two days later I will begin my new job at the California Center for the Arts. I will be training under the current art curator for a year, and then she will be leaving. Audrey has been with the California Center for the Arts for six years. She is leaving because she is ready to start a family with her husband of five years. I am not nervous about my first day because this is the same place where I did my college internship. I fell in love with the place and Audrey fell in love with me. She said she sees a lot of herself in me when she was my age. Which is why she decided that I would be the perfect person to fill her position when she leaves.

“There you are Rose!” my mother says as she walks up to me holding a beautiful v neck black lace dress. “Look dear this will be perfect. What do you think?” I look at the dress and she is right it’s beyond perfect. “I love it let me try it on.” She hands me the dress and I walk to the dressing rooms right behind where I was already standing. I hang the dress on the hanger in the room and pull the curtain shut behind me. I undress quickly and pull the dress on. I take my long curly blonde hair down from the bun that was containing it, and let it fall around my face past my shoulders into my natural ringlet curls. The dress fits me perfectly hugging me in the most flattering ways. The v neck dips but not too far to where it’s tasteless just enough to accentuate my ample cleavage and keep it classy. The dress stops just above my knee which is perfect for my graduation gown. I move the curtain aside as I walk out, and I see my mother’s face light up. “Oh my, Rosalie it is perfect! You are so beautiful darling!” I do a twirl for her smiling back, “I love it too! You are right it is perfect.” Giving her a brief hug I walk back into the dressing room again quickly changing. Bringing the dress out with me, I hook my arm with my mothers and we walk to the register.

“Hello did you find everything that you were looking for today ladies?” The cashier questioned. “Yes we did thank you,” I said smiling at the girl behind the counter. “Your total will be $1,595” as I am grabbing my wallet from my purse I see my mother hand the girl her American Express card. “I’ve got it mother you don’t have to buy everything for me.” I say giving her a disapproving look. “Nonsense dear I will buy you your graduation dress.” She said waving her hand to the cashier signaling her to carry on with the transaction. Taking the shopping bag we walk out of the store I tell her, “You know you can’t keep paying for everything I get. I will be starting my job at the art center soon and I will be making my own money for once. It’s a part of growing up mother.” I look back at her and smile, “now with that being said thank you so much for that gorgeous dress. I can’t wait to wear it.” Giving me a half frown she gently says to me, “You know I love you more than anything in the world. I love buying you things, and every mother is entitled to buy her only daughter presents.” She gave me a swift kiss on the cheek and began walking to her car. I stop and turn to her, “Oh mom wait! Will I be meeting you there tomorrow or do you and dad want to pick me up?” as she opened up the door to her BMW she flipped her auburn hair over her shoulder saying, “I am not sure honey I will have to talk to your father. I know he has a court ruling to make tomorrow morning, but he took the whole afternoon off so we could go to lunch after the ceremony. I will talk to him tonight and send you a text! I love you drive save darling.” Blowing me a kiss she slides into her tiny white convertible and speeds off towards her Beverly Hills mansion.

 As I climb into my own matching white BMW m6, which was a gift from my parents of course, I think about how much my life is going to change in the next few days. I am not going to be a student. I am going to start my career, and I will no longer be reliant on my parents for everything. I smile to myself as I pull out of my parking spot excited to begin this new chapter in my life.

      ---

I smile to James, the door man of my apartment building, when he opens the door for me. As I walk through the lobby I notice a few familiar faces but not many. Since I have one of the top floor penthouses I don’t come in contact with many of my neighbors. Well except for in the elevator or the lobby. Checking my emails to see if there are any last minute changes for the graduation tomorrow I hear the elevator doors chime open. I breathe a sigh of relief when finally I make it to my floor. It’s been a long day and the best way I can think to end it is with a glass of my favorite vintage wine. I step into my private foyer, and fish out my keys when I hear my phone vibrate. Pulling my phone and keys out I let myself into the apartment and drop my things on the couch. I walk straight into the kitchen, pulling a wine glass from the cupboard and fill it. I lean against the granite counters and take the first sip. I let out a sigh of appreciation as the wonderful flavors fill my mouth. Moving to the white leather couch I sit down and kick off my simple black pumps. I pick my phone back up to check the text that I had just received.

Mom:

Received 5:03pm

Hey honey just wanted to let you know I talked

to your father. He wants to meet you there

just in case he is running late from work. We

are so proud of you and can’t wait to see

you walk across that stage tomorrow.

Love you!

 

I type out a quick text telling her ill see her there and toss my phone back on the couch. I lay my head back on the couch and take another sip from my glass. I can’t believe within two days I will be at the California Center for the Arts working side-by-side with Audrey Jameson. It seems almost too good to be true. So many people would kill for this position, I am floored that she decided to give it to me. We have a very close relationship from when I interned there last summer. She is like the big sister that I never had. We talk to each other about everything, but she didn’t tell me her plans until last month. I got a call out of the blue asking me to lunch. During lunch she told me she was planning on leaving the center. When I told her she couldn’t the place would never survive without her she just smiled and said, “Yes it will. You will be taking over the curator position.” I just stared at her as my mouth hung open in shock. “I…will be…the curator?” she grinned and said, “I can’t think of a better person to take over than you. You remind me so much of myself when I was your age. So ambitious and so lively. You are exactly what this place needs. I think you are the perfect person.” She paused and said, “You will be the best thing that ever happened to this museum. Well besides me of course.” We both laughed after that and talked about what was going to happen within the next month until I graduate.

Now it is here. At the time it seemed so far away, and now it’s time to graduate and to start my job. I drink the last of my wine and set the glass on the end table. Getting up I walk to my bathroom to take a quick shower before bed. I have a long couple days ahead of me and I need to get as much sleep as I can. After my shower I brush my teeth and collapse into my king size bed. I close my eye to dream my last dreams as a student. Tomorrow’s dreams will be those of a college graduate.

                          

CHAPTER 2

My eyes flutter open, and I blink a couple times to let my eyes adjust to the harsh rays of sun that are flooding my bedroom. Reaching across my bed I grab my phone from the charger and check the time. It’s only eight A.M., and my graduation isn’t until twelve o’clock this afternoon. I stretch preparing my body to leave its cozy cocoon of covers. Today is the day, I think to myself, the start of my adult life. When I reach the bathroom I pull out my hot rollers and plug them in so they are ready when I am done with my morning necessities. My hair is naturally curly but if I want big curls, which I do for the ceremony today, I use my rollers. After they are carefully situated in my hair I spritz them with hairspray, and I slip on my robe and walk to the kitchen where I hear my coffee pot beep letting me know it’s ready. I pour myself a cup, and sit down at the kitchen table to read my latest edition of Cosmopolitan.

I push the magazine across the table and scoot back my chair. Standing up I stretch and walk my coffee cup to the kitchen sink. I have about an hour to do my make-up and get dressed if I want to beat lunch traffic and make it on time. For my make-up I decide to go with the less is more theory today. I do light grey eye shadow, mascara, eyeliner, and light pink lip gloss. I think the grey eye shadow always makes my green eyes pop, and it will go great with the black dress and black graduation gown. After my make-up I get in the beautiful Dolce & Gabanna dress. My hair is last. After taking out the hot rollers I run my fingers threw it to separate the curls a little to make them look more natural and just spray a little more hairspray. I check the time. I have about fifteen more minutes before I need to be in the car.  I slip on my black Loubotin platform pumps, and grab my garment bag with the graduation gown and hat, and I also grab my phone, keys, and purse, and out the door I go. Right on time.

The drive to the university is only twenty minutes with traffic. I find a parking spot close to the auditorium doors, grabbing all my things I head in to the school. My heart starts beating with anticipation when I get into the dressing area. With all of the other graduates moving around me I feel the excitement buzzing in the air. After putting on my gown and pinning my graduation cap on top of my curls I put all my things in to my assigned locker, well everything except for my phone. I send out a quick text to Sara, Elizabeth, Evan, and Samantha asking them where they are. They have been my friends since high school. We are all graduating together today. Sara reply’s first saying they are all in the hall getting refreshments. I tuck my phone into the pocket inside of the gown and head that way.

When I walk into the refreshment hall I can hear my friends, they are the loudest group in here. I walk up to them and say, “Hey graduates!” they all turn towards me shouting my name. We take turns giving each other hugs, when Evan, the only guy in our group, says, “So what’s the plan for tonight guys? And don’t give me that ‘I am to tired speech’ ladies. We gotta do it big for our COLLEGE graduation night!” I burst into laughter because I know that he is mocking Elizabeth and I. We always go to bed early and don’t go out as much as Evan, Sara, and Samantha. They are defiantly the party animals of our little group. They go out like every weekend where Elizabeth and I are usually home studying most weekends. I look at Evan with one eye brow raised and say, “I am up for anything. You tell me where to be and what time!” everyone looks at me with mock shocked looks and burst in to cheers. “Oh stop it! It’s not like I never go out with you guys!” I tell them. Sara looks at me and puts her hands up defensively saying, “I didn’t say anything don’t look at me!” we are all laughs and smiles. We are all in a deep discussion still about our plans for tonight when we hear one of the graduation directors’ call out a five minute warning. Which means we have to begin lining up in alphabetical order for the ceremony. I give them all hugs good bye saying, “Text me the final plans guys! I can’t wait to see yall tonight! Good luck and congratulations!”

My stomach is a bundle of nerves as we are all filing into the auditorium. I can’t believe this is it this is the last graduation I will ever be a part of. We are all seated when I finally break ranks and look towards the audience for my parents. When I turn back I am in awe of how many people are here. There has to be a couple thousand people here supporting their own graduates. It’s amazing! And then I hear my mother. She is shouting and waving from the first row. I cover my mouth to keep from laughing out loud when I see my father trying to get her to sit down. I wave back to them and turn back to my seat with a big smile still on my face. My father is a Supreme Court judge. His father and grandfather were also judges and he followed in their footsteps. He has always been more reserved than my mother especially during public affairs. He and my mother have been married for twenty-nine years and they are still as in love as they were from day one. Their personalities are so completely different, but you know what they say opposites attract. This is defiantly true in their case.

I have always hated graduations they are usually all the same, very long and boring. So when the chancellor of the university begins speaking I start drowning her out, and get lost in my thoughts about what I am going to wear out tonight. I have my whole outfit, shoes and jewelry included, picked out when I hear the name Vincent Draven. My heart literally skips a beat and my head jerks up towards the stage. Sure enough there he is shaking hands with the chancellor. My jaw drops. Not only is he heart-stoppingly handsome with his short lightly gelled back dark brown hair and his piercing blue eyes, but he is currently the youngest and most famous artist in the United States. He has had art work in almost all of the big museums in the country. He is also one of my favorite painters in the world. This is the artist who inspired me to go into the art field. He has such a wide variety of work. He doesn’t just stick to one theme with his projects. He does everything, from photorealism style portraits to insanely intricate surrealism paintings. He also does the most amazing charcoal drawings. I cannot believe that he is the Commencement Speaker for my graduation. I didn’t even know he was in the state, last I heard he was on a tour that was not supposed to end until the end of next month.

He begins speaking, “Hello graduates. I would like to first say congratulations on all of your accomplishments so far, but as you should all know this is just the beginning…there are so many more hurdles you are going to have to overcome from here. Life is full of twists and turns that are hardly ever easy. You now have the education to make the decisions that will benefit you the most, but I want you to remember to follow your dreams, and never give up on them. If something makes you happy you do that something. Do not live your life according to what you think you are supposed to do. Even if everyone in your life does not support your decision you do what makes you happy. If I did not live my life by these words then I would not be who I am today…”

As he says those words our eyes connect for what feels like forever. His eyes capturing mine and making me forget everything except for what he is saying at this exact moment. His lips turn up into a sexy half grin that makes me want to melt into my seat. As my face begins to heat up he finally looks away from me. It takes me a minute to regroup from what just happened. What was that? Was that real? What is really going on here? I get myself under control and shake off the effects of those piercing eyes. I must just be star struck that’s all. The rest of his speech went by without any other eye contact. Thank sweet baby Jesus. He walks off the stage and back to his seat in the front row with the professors and staff. Now it’s time for the awarding of our diplomas.

We make it back to the dressing room still in a semi-line somehow. When I see a crowd beginning to form around some one. I wander over curious to see what’s going on, and then I see him. It’s Vincent Draven. He is in the dressing room talking to some of the graduates and signing a couple autographs for some of the girls. My heart begins to beat faster, and I can feel my cheeks getting pinker by the second. This is silly. I think to myself. Yes he is incredibly sexy and young and my God those eyes. BUT I will be working with a lot of people like him within two days, and he is also my favorite artist of all time. I NEED to talk to him. With that settled I march up to the crowd surrounding him and wait for some of the girls to finish before I push my way to the front.

When I am standing right in front of him my eyes meet his chest. His six foot something in height easily dwarfs my five feet five inches. Even with my 3 inch heels on. I slowly raise my eyes to meet his and say, “Hello I am Rosalie Michealson.” I stick out my hand so I can shake his. Never breaking eye contact he grasps my hand in his and replies in a deep smooth voice, “Hello Rosalie. It’s a pleasure.” I smile and say, “I love your work. You are the reason that I decided to go into the art field. I just wanted to tell you that you are huge inspiration, and I hope to be working with you in the future.” He raises an eye brow at me and the side of his mouth picks up in that half smile again as he says, “I am flattered thank you, and I hope we will be working together soon as well.” With that he let my hand go and I was about to say something else when I hear “Rose! Rose! Over here honey!” and I turn back to see my mother dragging my father in tow towards me. I look back at Vincent, but he is already in a conversation with a couple other graduates. So I begin walking to meet my parents.

 

CHAPTER 3

After the graduation my parents took me to lunch at Bazaar this over the top restaurant. The place is white linen, fine dining at its best if you ask me. The food was fabulous and the prices were outrageous, but my parents wouldn’t have it any other way. I think one of their favorite things to do is spoil me. When we were through with lunch we went our separate ways, but not before they gushed at how absolutely gorgeous I looked and how unbelievably proud they are of me. If you could think of the perfect parents you would be describing mine. I hope one day when I find that perfect person, and I have children that I am every bit of the parents that my parents were to me.

About an hour after I got home I got a text from Evan saying to be ready for nine PM. Having about four hours to spare I took a long bubble bath and started slowly getting ready. After touching up my make-up and tweaking my hair taking it from graduation to night on the town I get a text. This time it’s from Samantha. She said Hey girl we will be there in like thirty mins you better be ready lady!! Smiling I slip on another pair of Loubotins this pair is hot pink to go with my super sexy tight black mini dress I am wearing. I drink the last sip of my wine and set the glass on my coffee table. Grabbing my black clutch containing only the necessities phone, lipstick, and some cash. I head out the door locking it behind me, and head to the lobby and wait for my crazy friends to arrive.

When I get to the lobby I see Evan talking to the doorman, James. I walk over to meet him and I am lifted off of my feet and swung in a circle. “Who are you and what have you done with our Rose?” Evan says laughing. “Evan put me down!” I try to say sternly and miserably fail. “Alright alright. You win lets go girl we have big plans for the night! First stop Metropolitan Nightclub! Let’s go, Let’s go!” he says grabbing my hand and dragging me towards the car. When we get in the car Samantha says, “Holy s**t Rose you look hot!” I smirk at her and say, “oh this old thing!” then we head out to the hottest new dance club in Beverly Hills.

The first thing us girls do when we get to the club is grab a table close to the dance floor, while Evan goes to the bar to grab us all drinks. We were happily chatting about the graduation and their plans for the next couple weeks before they started their jobs when Evan walked up to the table with a tray loaded down with about fifteen shots of vodka with lemons on the side and five crown and cokes one for each of us. “Oh my god Evan we want to have a good time not get alcohol poisoning!” I shouted over the music. They whole table burst into laughter as we each reach for a shot and lemon chaser. “Here’s to graduating with the best friends that anyone could ask for!” Elizabeth toasts. There are “Here, Here’s” all around the table as we each took our first shot of the night.

                After making it threw all of the shots and half of our crown and cokes the dance floor was calling out to all of us. The dance floor was pack with gorgeous men and women pulsating to the beat of the music. Making a chain with our hands we make our way to the center of the dance floor, and for the next hour and a half we danced until we were covered in sweat. My legs are shaking from grinding and moving to the rhythm of the songs, and Evan just got back with more drinks for us. Two more vodka shots down and my teeth begin tingling. That’s a tell-tale sign I am close to my limit, but tonight is about excess right? We just graduated college for Christ’s sakes. Who knows the next time we will all be out together again?  With that thought I grab another shot from the tray and down it no chaser needed this time, and head back to dance.

                Another half hour later I signal to the group I am going to grab some water. Making my way to the bar I see the restroom and make a stop there really quick. The bathroom is super bright and my legs are still shaking slightly from a mixture of the drinks and all the dancing. Finishing up I wash my hands and put a little more lipstick on, and start back on my journey to the bar. This place is so pack it takes me about twenty minutes before I can even get the bartenders attention, and by this time I have already forgot what I was going to get so I order another shot of vodka and a cranberry and vodka mix drink. Downing the shot I take the mix drink with me sipping it as I make my way back to my friends.

After circling the dance floor like two or three times I decide to give up finding my friends and to wonder outside. About three-fourths of the way through my mix drink I walk out on to the street. The music was deafening in there. The sounds are really muffled as I walk down the street. As I finish off my drink I drop the empty plastic cup in to a trash can on the street. I was about to pull out my phone to call a cab when I see this bar across the street. It looks like your standard bar for guys on their lunch break or getting a beer before going home, so I decide to go in there to give my legs a break and catch my bearings. When I make it across the street I go straight to the bar this place has only about twenty or so people in it so the bartender comes up to me almost immediately. I order a bloody Mary and a small glass of water. Sipping on my bloody Mary I send out a text to Evan letting him know I was about to head home, when someone taps me on the shoulder. Before I can even turn to see who it is he says, “Hello Rose,” I almost choke on the sip I just took when I realize whose voice it is. Vincent Draven. You have got to be kidding me. Oh. My. God. I look up at him from my bar stool his height yet again dwarfing me even more so since I am sitting and he is standing. I squeak out, “Hey” he chuckles and asks, “May I join you?”

“Umm yeah sure. What are you doing here?” I say having to concentrate really hard to get those words to come out without slurring them. He smiles that sexy grin again and says, “I could ask you the same thing. This doesn’t look like a place where you would hang out…and you’re alone?” At this point I am sure that my face is cherry red. I don’t understand why I can’t keep my cool around this incredibly attractive man. It’s not like I haven’t been around hot guys before, but I have never had a man completely turn me into a little school girl before. And does he really have to keep smiling like that. It’s like he practiced that smile in the mirror perfecting it to use on girls and make them forget everything except for what he’s saying. Oh f**k he asked me a question.

 “Oh. Um. I got separated from my friends we were at that new night club down the street.” I say looking up at him. “Ah! Now that seems like a place that where you should be on your graduation night. So how did you end up in this particular bar?” I take another long drink from my bloody mary finishing it off. That was probably not the best idea considering I can barely think with him staring at me like he wants to devour me. Just then a bout of dizziness came over me, so I put my elbow on the bar and prop my head on my hand and then said, “well I was about to call a cab and then I saw this bar…and I just wanted to sit down so I came in and ordered a drink. So why are you in this particular bar Mr. Draven?” adding the last part sarcastically because there is only about four years in age difference between us.

I think he liked the sarcasm, because he threw back his head and laughed before saying, “well actually my friend owns this bar. I usually make it one of my first stops when I get into town so I can catch up with him, but it seems he has the night off tonight.” he paused and then went on to say, “And I was just about to head back to my house when I see you stumble in here.” Adding an evil grin at the end. I groan from embarrassment, “I didn’t stumble in here…did I? My legs are just really tired that’s all” He raises his eyebrows and nodes in mock agreement. “I am sure your legs are just tired. Wait did you say you were going to call a cab?”

“Yeah I was going to call a cab to go home. My friends and I came together in one car, and since we got separated I have no ride home now.” He looks at me disapprovingly and says, “It’s not very safe to just get a cab in the middle of the night. Would you like for me to give you a ride home?” this time it’s my turn to laugh, “this is Beverly Hills Mr. Draven what could possibly happen to me?” I was still giggling when he said, “Well it would make me feel better if I knew for sure that you made it home ok. Would you please give me that peace of mind?” I let out a sigh and reply, “Sure I guess, I am getting pretty tired anyways I would probably be asleep by the time the cab makes it here anyways.” He gives me a dazzling full smile this time and says, “Ok I will be right back. I am going to pull my car around.”

My jaw drops when I see his car. It’s a solid black Ferrari Berlinetta I am guessing the year is 2014. He gets out and opens the passenger door for me and smiles the most boyish grin I have seen from him yet. Like he knows he has one fine a*s car, and you can tell it’s his most prize possession. I hop off of my bar stool and start walking towards him. I am about two feet from him when my ankle rolls. I caught my heel in a crack in the sidewalk. I would have fallen face first on the ground, but somehow Vincent not only caught me but scooped me up in his arms with ease. I am now cradled against him. I can feel his muscles rippling through his thin black tee shirt as he walks me the few steps to the car, and I have to forcefully stop myself from reaching out and putting my hands on his chiseled chest. “I think you’ve had enough walking for the night let me help you.” He says as he lowers me in to the passenger side of his car. As he is walking around to his side of the car I see him smiling and shaking his head. I can only imagine what he must be thinking of me now. When he gets in I say, “It’s not what you think, my heel got caught in that stupid crack! Really!” he smiles and says, “sure I believe you! Where do you live princess?”  I let out a humph and tell him, “Go up to the first light and take a right.” And he takes off. The vibrations from the car make me even more tired, so I lean my head against the window. My apartment is like twenty or so minutes from here so I might as well get comfortable.

 

CHAPTER 4

I am not a morning person, but this morning it’s even harder for me to pry my eyes open. My head is pounding, my eyes are stuck together with last night’s makeup, my ears are ringing, my right ankle is throbbing, and my thighs and calves are aching. I stretch and I am finally get my eyes to stay open, and as I am staring at the ceiling I notice that the light is coming in from the wrong side of the room. Usually the light comes from the window right above my head. That’s not where it’s coming from this morning. It’s coming from the right side of the room. I sit straight up in the bed and look around the room. This is not my room, and this is not my bed. I have no idea where I am or whose room this is. I can barely remember what happened last night. I throw the covers to the side and get out of the bed slowly. There is a bathroom connected to the room so I tip toe in there to wash my face and rinse out my mouth which still has the horrible taste of liquor in it.

I am still wearing my short dress from last night so that’s a plus and a minus at the same time. It’s a good dress to go out in at night, but not to creep around in someone’s house the next morning. I can’t find my purse or phone in the room anywhere so I go to the door and sneak in to the hallway. This house is massive, and I am apparently upstairs. I peak over the banister to see if anyone’s here. I don’t hear or see anyone. The coast is clear. I sprint down the stairs which end at the front door. Unfortunately I can’t just leave I have to find my things. I groan inwardly at the thought. The next room over seems to be the dining area, it has a huge solid oak looking table in the middle. I don’t see anything of mine in here. Moving on to the next room which is the kitchen. The kitchen is gorgeous. All stainless steel appliances, granite counter tops, cherry wood cabinets, and a cooking island that takes up the majority of the room. Whose ever house this is defiantly loves to cook. My stuff is not in here either. The next room is the living room. Bingo my purse is sitting on the couch and my heels are on the floor right below my purse. I run over to them and check my purse to make sure my phone is in there and it is. Thank God. I grab my purse and was about to put on my shoes when I hear the door open.

My heart begins racing. As I hear footsteps coming down the hallway towards me. My first instinct is to hide, but whoever it is obviously knows that I am here so I just stand there with my purse clutched to my chest and one foot in a shoe, waiting for them to find me. “Good morning Rose.” I yelp and jump straight into the air. As I try and turn around I trip over my other shoe and end up falling backwards on the couch. The voice didn’t come from the kitchen like I thought it would. It came from a hallway behind me. I look over at Vincent knowing now who it is by his distinctive deep voice. “Good morning.” I squeak out.

 I try and right myself by sitting up and also kicking the offending shoe in the process for betraying me. “How are you feeling this morning? I didn’t expect you to be up so soon. I went to pick up some Alka-Seltzer. Come into the kitchen and I will fix it for you.” I slowly get up and follow him to the kitchen. Leaving my shoes behind. “You didn’t have to do that, but thank you.” I said smiling shyly at him. He pushes a glass over to me with the fizzy liquid in it. “Sit down and drink. It will make you feel better. You must have a hangover from what I saw last night.” He said chuckling to himself. I groan in embarrassment as I sit in one of the bar stools. “It was that bad? I don’t remember a thing. What happened? How did I even get here?” he smiles at me and walks over to the fridge pulling out some eggs, bacon and orange juice. He pours two glasses of juice and hands one to me leaving the jug on the counter next to me. “No it wasn’t that bad. I was actually giving you a ride home last night but you fell asleep in my car before you finished giving me directions. How do you eat your eggs?” he said as he pulled out two frying pans.

“Umm scrambled usually. Did you say I fell asleep in your car?” Oh my god. What is wrong with me? I never do this stuff. Chuckling again, he said, “Yeah you did. I really tried to wake you up but you were out. I had no idea where to go so I just brought you here.” The smell of bacon fills the kitchen as he pulls it out of the pan and places it on the plate. My stomach lets out a loud grumble of appreciation. I watch him as he quickly scrambles the eggs. They are done in a few minutes and he scoops them out on to another plate. Toast pops up as he is grabbing butter from the fridge. He puts the toast on the plate with the eggs and lightly butters it. When he finishes he sets the plates full of food in front of me going back to get two more plates and grabbing forks from the drawer.

He serves us each a plate, and as he sets my plate in-front of me my stomach lets out another very loud and unlady like growl. “I figured you would be starving, I know I always am the morning after a, um, celebration.” I actually laugh this time. This whole situation is very hilarious to me all of a sudden. The first time I ever set eyes on my “Idol” was yesterday, and the next morning I wake up in his house. After he tried to give me a ride home. Yes this is hilarious, and I can’t stop laughing. “Are you ok?” He looks at me like I am insane, which makes me laugh even harder. I finally catch my breath getting myself under some sort of control enough at least to reply, “Yes I am fine. It’s just this is all so weird you know. I am just…I don’t know….Um shocked I guess. Thank you by the way for cooking it smells delicious.” With that I take my first bite. “Yeah I guess it is weird. I have never had anyone in this house before.” He says as he nods in agreement with me. “You’ve never had any one here? Why this house is gorgeous I would want to show it off every chance I got if it were mine!” he laughs and says, “Well I usually don’t have people over to my houses, because I do most of my work in them. I guess it’s just my private area. I don’t know I never really thought much about it.” He shrugs and continues to eat.

“So what did you did you get your degree in? You said I was a big inspiration for you so it must have something to do with art right?” he asks me over our empty plates. “Well I’ve always loved art, from a very young age. My favorite places to go were museums when I was a kid. So I always thought I would do something with that, but as a freshmen in college there are so many options, you know, so many things you can do. This is my future I am working on, I told myself. So I started out going for a business degree. It was sensible and stable, but right around the beginning of my sophomore year you came out with your Strangers show. You know the one where you had done all of the portraits of the people all around us that are never actually seen? It was so beautiful I went to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art about two times a week until the show moved on. You inspired me to go back into the art field. I realized that I was the happiest when I was surrounded by art. So I decided to re-evaluate my college career. I did a lot of research and I thought I would be the happiest as a museum art curator. So I changed my major to Art History, Criticism and Conversation, and I never once looked back. Tomorrow I start my yearlong training at the California Center for the Arts and it really is all thanks to you!” She pauses suddenly, “I am sorry I am rambling!” she added as her cheeks flush.

“No don’t be sorry. That was one of my favorite shows. I put a lot of work in to it. Hardly anyone just stops and looks at the beauty that surrounds us in our day to day lives. I wanted to do something that would make people, just open their eyes for a minute. So why did you choose the California Center for the Arts? I mean there are a lot of museums why that one?” he asks me. “Umm well that is where I did my internship last summer, and I got very close with the people there. They offered me the position last month and I didn’t even have to think about it. I knew that’s where I was supposed to be, you know? It just felt right.” I say as I stand to clear the dishes from the counter, and bring them to the sink. “So when did you know that you wanted to paint full time?” I ask him over my shoulder.

“Well…honestly it’s what I have always wanted to do. My parents didn’t want me to be a “starving artist” and they thought I should do something more stable. I knew I would never be happy sitting in front of a computer for the rest of my life, so I left and put myself through art school. I was lucky really with the fame. I didn’t care how my life turned out I would have been happy either way, as long as I was painting. Unfortunately that put a strain on my relationship with my parents. Even more so when I did make it big, because they are the type of people who stick with what they say. Even if they are wrong, but that comes with any military father I guess.” He said with a shrug.

I walk back to where I was sitting and lean against the counter. “I can’t believe your parents didn’t support you! That so hard for me to believe. I think my parents would support me even if I wanted to run away join the circus! I sorry you had to go through that. I can’t imagine how hard it must have been for you to have no one to fall back on if you needed it.” I say with a huff. Suddenly I am mad at these people I don’t even know. He smiles at me saying, “No need to be sorry Rose, its life, and life is never easy. So um I don’t mean to bring up the elephant in the room but, that dress is very short and um…very distracting would you like some clothes?” Suddenly I became self-conscious of how little of my body is actually covered, “Yes, but do you have clothes here that would fit me?” I say with a worried look on my face.  “I think I might have some sweat pants and a shirt that would work.” He says as he is walking out of the room.

                He came back in the room and handed me the folded clothes “There is a bathroom right down that hall on the left” he said pointing me in the right direction. I take them from him “thank you for everything. I am sorry for being such a handful last night. Usually I’m not like that I think that I over celebrated a little.” I say laughing. “Rose it’s no trouble at all. I am glad I ran into you again.” I smile and walk to the bathroom to change. I pull the dress off and pull on the sweat pants. Luckily they have drawstrings or else they would fit what so ever. After putting the shirt on I tie up my hair with the pony tail holder I always keep on my wrist, and I check myself in the mirror. I don’t look too bad I think as I turn to walk out.

                When I find him he is sitting on the couch looking at something on his phone. “Ahh much less distracting!” he says smiling up at me. I walk over and sit on the couch pulling my legs up and facing him. I ask, “So I have another question. You don’t have to answer if it’s private ok?” he nods and I go on. “Why did you come back so early? I thought your tour wasn’t supposed to end until the end of the month? Well that’s what I read online anyways.” “You must really like me if you know when my tours end.” He teases me, and I smile, “Ha. Ha. You’re so funny! It was in this art e-magazine that I am subscribed to you butt.” “Well since you really want to know, it was nothing really I went to the opening night at the last museum and decided that I was ready to be at home. I was just tired of being on the road and I didn’t really need to be there. The museum director was ok with me not being there as long as I came back next time I went on tour. Which I agreed to. Plus I am ready to start working on my next project. Once I get an idea I get impatient waiting to start on it.”

                I raise an eyebrow, smile at him and say, “Oh you already know what you are doing next huh! I am very good at keeping secrets if you want to talk to someone about it.” He laughs at me and says, “You do drive a hard bargain, but if I told you I would have to kill you. Its top secret not even my manager knows yet.” just then a phone started to ring. Vincent looks at his phone and then says to me, “Sorry I have to take this. I’ll be right back.” He answers his phone with a clipped “Hello” and begins walking up the stairs and then I hear a door open and shut behind him. I am now alone on the couch so I reach over to my purse and grab my phone to check it. I have two texts, one from my mom asking me to call her when I wake up, and then one from Evan asking if I made it home safe last night. I text Evan back and tell him I am safe and sound, and I make a mental note to call my mom later. She is probably busy right now anyway. With nothing else on my phone to distract me I drop it back into my purse, and stand up and stretch. When my eye catches a door I didn’t see earlier on my hunt for my purse and shoes. The door is slightly cracked open.

                I look towards the stairs and listen for any movement. When I don’t hear any curiosity gets the better of me and I tip-toe to the door. I push open the door enough to poke my head in. My breath hitches when I realize what room this is. His art studio. I look back towards the stairs again. The coast is still clear so I walk in really quickly taking in the room. There are about five large art easels placed around the room one in each corner and then one in front of the huge bay window in the center of the room. The four corner easels held empty canvases. The one in front of the window has a tarp over it. I walk over to it unable to stop myself from grabbing the corner of the tarp. I pull it up revealing the canvas. Its so beautiful. There is a nude woman laying partially covered with a sheet in a bed. Her blonde curls surrounding her. It looks as if she is sleeping. The paint still has a heavy smell, and still looks slightly wet. So he must have done this last night or early this morning. “Rose what are you doing?” I jump dropping the tarp and turn around to look at him.

 He is filling the door way, and for the first time he looks really upset. I have been caught red handed. “Vincent I am so sorry. I shouldn’t be in here. I was just curios I am really sorry.” I say to him. His eyes are still very dark when he says, “Something has come up and I need to go so grab your thing and I will bring you to your apartment.” I nod and walk out of the room grabbing my purse and dress from the couch. I decide to wear my shoes out even though sweats and hot pink Loubotins don’t go together what so ever, but it is better than cutting my feet up on the cement. I look up at him. “Ready?” he questions. I nod yes to him and follow him out the door. When we are in the car he asks for my address for the gps. The car ride was silent the whole way to my apartment. When he pulls up to the front door I look over at him and say, “I am so sorry for invading your privacy. I really hope that you can forgive me. Also thank you for everything. I don’t know how I will ever repay you for the kindness that you showed me last night and this morning. Bye Vincent.” With that I get out of the car and as I am about to shut the door he says, “You are welcome Rose. I hope to see you again.” I smile at him and shut the door. I walk through the lobby with my head held high despite my current outfit. He hopes he sees me again. I didn’t completely ruin everything…Yet.

 

CHAPTER 5

                As I am closing the door to my apartment I hear my phone ringing. I kick my heels off and grab my phone from my clutch. Mom is flashing across the screen. I answer “Hey mom!” as I walk over to collapse on my couch. “Hello dear. How are you this morning? Did you have fun last night?” I sigh and say, “Yes a little too much fun. I can barely remember the last part of the night.” I hear her breath hitch as she says in a slightly higher pitch, “Rose you did not drive last night did you? I swear to god if…” I cut her off before she gets any further, “No mom I didn’t drive. You should know better than that. It’s a funny story really. I was going to call a cab to bring me home and I ran in to Vincent Draven.” I pause. “Vincent Draven that artist that you love so much? He was at the graduation yesterday right?” I smile as I say, “yes mom the one and only!” “Oh my what happened you have to tell me!” my mother says franticly through the phone. If she would have had it her way I would be married by now. She thinks I should at least be dating. Unfortunately for her I have always wanted to have my career first, before I begin settling down. “Well I don’t really remember. He told me this morning that fell asleep in his car before I gave him all the directions to my house. So he brought me to his house instead. I have never been more embarrassed in my life mom! He is so sweet though. He cooked me breakfast and we talked for a long time, but then I screwed up.” I tell her. “What happened what did you do honey?” I groan and tell her, “Well he got a phone call and went upstairs right? And I was looking around his house and I saw a door that was kind of cracked open. So I went in the room. Mother it was his art studio. I was drawn in like a moth to light. I couldn’t help myself. There was only one painting that he was working on and it was covered by a tarp, and I had to see it. You know how I am when it comes to his work. I am like a little girl again. So I pulled up the tarp and it was the most beautiful painting of this girl laying in a bed with her blonde curls all around her. Mom you would never believe the detail that he already has in the painting. I am pretty sure that he just started that one either last night or morning because the paint was still slightly wet. The worst part though is that he caught me looking at the painting. He looked so mad mom!”

                “Rose did you say that she had blonde curls, and that the paint was still wet?” my mother asked. “Yes mother it was so beautiful…” she cut me off as said, “Oh my god Rose the painting was of you! It has to be! He painted you! The paint was still wet. You were sleeping there in his house, and she had blonde curls it has to be you!” I gasp and say, “Oh my god. What if it was me…what does that mean mom? He was really mad at me for looking at it though.” I hear my mother laugh through the phone. “He probably never meant for you to see it Rosalie. I can’t believe this my daughter and a famous artist. I have to tell your father he will be thrilled.” I shriek and say, “NO! Mom you can’t. DO NOT tell dad! Vincent cannot find out that I even told you. You can’t tell anyone! Swear mother you won’t tell anyone.” “Fine I won’t tell anyone. But just so you know I am not happy about it! You make sure to apologize to Mr. Draven and make nice with him. He is so handsome. You two would make a lovely couple.” I sigh, “Mother I just met this man yesterday, and in the little time that I have spent with him I have managed to piss him off so don’t go making wedding plans just yet ok? I love you and I have to go. I start my job tomorrow and I have to pick out my outfit and everything. Remember don’t tell anyone what I told you. I’ll call you tomorrow when I get home!” I hear her laugh and say, “I won’t tell anyone honey. Have a great first day tomorrow I want to hear all about it! I love you too. Bye.” I say “Bye mom have a good night.” and end the call.

                I walk to the kitchen grabbing a glass of wine. I begin wondering if the woman in the painting really is me. It could make sense. Maybe a little. I don’t know. I pad into the bathroom and begin running a hot tub of water in my large garden style bath tub. While that is filling I walk to my closet and pull my navy pencil skirt suit out. I hang it on the closet door and pull my beige heels out setting them below the dress. With my outfit picked out I will only have to do my hair and makeup in the morning.

                I drink the last sip of my wine and begin undressing. As I sink into the hot water I feel my muscles beginning to relax. It’s been a pretty crazy day and this is exactly what I need to wind down. Vincent Draven. I can’t believe that I have met him let alone slept in his house. This is all so insane. I think to myself.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2015 Renee Broughman


Author's Note

Renee Broughman
I need constructive criticism. anything will help. I am trying to decided if I need to finish this or if I should scrap it! Thank you in advance!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Definitely finish it, it's a good idea and you have some magnificent characters. I love how they all have it together and there's no drama. It's a nice break from the usual story. However, I would agree with the rest of the reviewers- you put detail in where it isn't needed and don't leave it up to the reader to imagine. Maybe you should take up screen playing, I have a sneaking suspicion you'd be good at that with the way you like to tell about everything.

Posted 8 Years Ago


The verb tenses are inconsistent. That made it hard to follow.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I really like your story, grammer but that normal I think my story I posted is worse then yours :D

Posted 8 Years Ago


You have an interesting story, and good characters. The delivery, however, lacks rhythm. One reviewer said it sounded robotic. My take is that you're trying to give the reader too much information, too much description. Rhythm comes form a combination of what you do say and, just as importantly, what you don't say. It's okay to let readers fill in some details with their imaginations--just make sure what you do tell them contributes to the story or the character.

Here's an example of what I mean:

"I am staring at the ceiling I notice that the light is coming in from the wrong side of the room. Usually the light comes from the window right above my head. That’s not where it’s coming from this morning. It’s coming from the right side of the room."

I would ask, is it critical that the reader know exactly what the pattern of light is in the character's own room? Or does the narrative flow better if all you say is that the light pattern she sees in the morning is unfamiliar?

Of course, it is your story, and only you know what is important to it and what is not. Good luck!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Ashley

8 Years Ago

I would say it all depends on the writer them self, as Anne rice is very big on details. and other l.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
613
This story is written well. There are a bunch of grammatical & punctuational errors, however. The story flows well & has likable characters. I see so much potential in this! Nice work!

- Brittney

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Renee Broughman

8 Years Ago

Yes I need it to be edited for sure! I am really glad you like it! 😊
A little robotic, but nice start

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like it, but your sentences are a little robotic, maybe loosen up a bit, good job

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

431 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 18, 2015
Last Updated on April 18, 2015
Tags: romance, love, art, art curator, contemporary romance, first story, new, unfinished, the beginning, love at first sight, college, graduate, young artist, famous, trust fund baby, rich

Author

Renee Broughman
Renee Broughman

Lafayette, LA



About
I am new to this. What I really hope to gain from this site is advice and some criticism! more..


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..