A One-Way Journey (Incompleted but needing advice)

A One-Way Journey (Incompleted but needing advice)

A Story by One Last Drop...
"

Rhiannon goes to live in a small town in Wales after the death of her twin brother, Erin. She finds the locals friendly, but there is depression underlying everything she does.

"

“How are you?” the young man in the newsagents-slash-grocery store asked me pleasantly. I was a little surprised. Back home, in Australia, people would walk in and out of newsagents without a word except ‘how much is that?’… People here were so much more friendly.

“I'm fine, thanks,” I replied, smiling back. I was glad people were being so nice to me…I’d only just got in late last night. “And you?”

“Quite well. You're new around here, aren’t you?” he asked lightly, holding out his hand. I shook it quickly.

“Yes. I'm Rhiannon Gilmore,” I introduced myself, smiling. The man grinned. He was so cheerful!

“My name is Emyr Bowen,” he said calmly, and then took on a slightly straighter posture. “So how can I help you today?” I suddenly remembered why I had ventured out when I still hadn’t unpacked.

“I'm just after a couple of stamps,” I said, looking around as Emyr grinned and turned, searching through a pile of untidy papers behind him.

“So how long are you here for, Miss Gilmore?” Emyr asked pleasantly as he turned back around. My face fell, and I felt like crying. I didn’t like to remember how my brother…my twin, my other half…had passed on. I was lost without him, and because of that I wanted to move away, to start new. It seemed like it would follow me even here. Emyr must have noticed my expression, for he reached out and patted the back of my hand gently.

“Sorry for bringing it up, Miss Gilmore,” he said quietly. I shook my head and managed a faint smile.

“Not your fault, I'm just still getting to come to terms with it all,” I muttered, looking away, then remembering again what I came here for. “How much?”

“Don’t worry about it this time,” he said calmly, pressing the stamps into my hand. I smiled.

“Thanks. I'm here to stay, by the way,” I added, asking his earlier question. Emyr smiled.

“I'll be seeing you around then,” he said calmly, and I nodded. “Just pop over anytime you want to chat. You're always welcome,” he offered, and I thanked him again before saying goodbye politely and slipping outside to walk back to my new home.

 

I managed to make it to my front porch before I lost control and sank to the ground sobbing. Erin…my brother…my best friend and the only person to understand me…he was gone. Buried…it was still painful, even after three months. Erin, gone in the screech of tyres and a crashing of glass. And there was no way to save him from death, or me from the depression that had swept over me…my tears slowed slightly as a thin but warm pair of arms wrapped around my shoulders and I was hugged gently, and I managed to wipe my eyes to look up into a pair of kind blue eyes.

“Are you alright, dear?” a woman’s kind voice asked, and I realised it belonged to whoever was hugging me. I nodded slightly, my throat clogged, and the woman hugged me again before releasing me slowly.

“You're new here, aren’t you sweetie?” she asked, and I nodded again, clearing my throat.

“I'm Rhiannon Gilmore,” I said quietly, and wiped my eyes again as she stood and helped me to my feet. “Thank you…”

“Alison,” she said with a smile. She was about forty, I thought, and beautiful in a mature way. “Alison Bowen. My younger brother runs the newsagent at the corner…Rhiannon, dear, are you alright?” she asked, concern in her voice, for I had started to cry again when she said the words ‘my brother’. I sniffed back my tears and wiped my eyes yet again, cursing my inability to stop the tears.

“Sorry, it's just that I…lost my brother recently,” I choked out. Instantly Alison’s arms were around my shoulders again.

“Oh, I'm sorry, dear. I can understand how hard it can be…were you close?” she asked kindly, and I nodded slightly, still sobbing. She patted my back gently, then spoke again when I had settled a little more.

“How about you go inside, dear, and if you don’t mind I'll put the kettle on,” she suggested, and I let her open the door and lead me into my own house. I was too filled with sorrow to object.

 

“Now then, how are you feeling?” Alison asked after she had made a coffee for me and brought it over.

“Better, thank you,” I said quietly. I was furious at myself for breaking down in plain sight, but I felt better for the hot coffee and someone to talk to, although I barely knew Alison. “Thank you for…before,” I added, and Alison smiled slightly.

“No problem, Rhiannon. As long as you're feeling better now.”

“I am,” I said on a sigh, looking down at my almost-empty cup. “It's just…sometimes it gets to me. It was only recently…”

“I understand. I lost my father when I was younger, and I know how much it hurt for me to realise he wasn’t coming home,” Alison murmured, looking down at her own cup. Then she stood and smiled at me. “I had better get going…will you be alright?” I nodded.

“I will now, Alison. Thank you again,” I added, and with a small smile Alison let herself out, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

© 2008 One Last Drop...


Author's Note

One Last Drop...
Tell me, should I continue? This is just a short bit, the beginning. I want to see what people think before I write any more. Please note I have no idea how people anywhere but Australia and Japan act like...I am going overseas in a few weeks, but until then my knowledge is taken from books and from internet. Let me know how I've done with this...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

287 Views
Added on June 19, 2008
Last Updated on June 24, 2008

Author

One Last Drop...
One Last Drop...

Perth, Australia



About
Hi! Here's a little bit about me... I'm almost 20, studying to be a high-school English teacher. I work as a swimming teacher whenever possible, and I write a lot of fanfiction. My favourite mus.. more..

Writing