The Sweet Old Man

The Sweet Old Man

A Story by Red
"

I wrote this for my grandmother on her anniversery, dedicated to my grandfather R.I.P. Bill Hagwood.

"

 

The Sweet Old Man

 

            Bill Hagwood sat in his chair in his office watching one of his 007 movies that he had finally gotten around to watching. He sat there with an empty glass of whiskey from the night before by his side enjoying himself . As he continued to watch 007 shoot bad guys, the door to his office opened. His wife, Launa, came in with a worried look on her face. Bill could always tell when something was wrong. Launa crossed her arms not sure what to do.

            “What”s the matter?” Bill asked wanting to know what what wrong. Launa put her hands on her sides and looked him in the eyes.

            “Bill,” she said uneasily “I'm worried about tonight. I don't think I have anything to wear.”

            “What about what your wearing?” Bill told her honestly.

            “Bill.” she said amused “I can't wear this.”

            “You look nice.” he said. Launa smiled.

            “Oh, your just saying that.”

            “No,” he said seriously “you look nice.” Launa's smile grew. Bill stood up slowly due to his age. “Are we almost ready to go?” he asked her as she walked out of the office and into there room.

            “Almost,” she said putting on earrings “I just need to put on a little lipstick and we should be ready.”

            Bill, who was wearing jeans and a flannel shirt, which was what he always wore, reached in his front pocket for his wallet making sure he didn't need to go to the bank. Bill always believed in having his wallet in his front pocket due to the possibility of somebody picking his pocket. He knew that it was unlikely that anybody would, but Bill always knew what could happen would happen. Launa walked out of the room and back into the office. Bill gave a small grin seeing how beautiful his wife looked. She gave him a kiss on the cheek leaving some lipstick behind.

            Bill walked Launa out to his truck and drove to there favorite place to eat: Kit Carson. It was a great little restaurant that they had gone to for years. The service was good along with the food. Bill considered himself a cautious driver which made him more the angrier when some some yahoo Oregon driver cut him off. Bill kept positive; he wasn't going to let some small incident ruin his anniversary. It didn't take them long to get a parking spot.

            The happy couple walked inside and went over to, what they considered to be, their table in the corner that they enjoyed to sit at. They sat down in the booth to find that the menus were already there. Launa looked at the menu searching for something that sounded good to her.

            “I'm not sure if they've changed the menu at all.” she told him. Bill noticed something next to their booth. It was an old jukebox.

            “Was that there before?” he asked Launa. She glanced over in his direction.

            “I don't think so.” she said putting the menu down.

            The restaurant only had a few people including the waiters and cooks in the back. One of the waiters came over to their table with a pen and pad in his hands.

            “Do you two already know what you'd like to order or do you need some time.”

            “Actually,” Bill said “I was wondering if you still had meatloaf.”

            “We do indeed, sir.”

            “I'd like the same.” Launa told the polite waiter with her hand on Bills hand.

            “Would you like anything to drink?” he asked them.”

            “I'll have water.” Bill told him.

            “Same.” was Launa's vague  response.

            “I'll have it out right away.”

            After the waiter left them, Bill got up from the seat and walked up to the jukebox to see what was on it. Launa noticed that something had caught his eye. Bill reached in his pocket and pulled out a quarter. He plopped it in and clicked a button. Within seconds a recognizable song came on. Launa's eyes seemed to brighten.

            “I love this song.”

            Bill put out his hand. Launa laughed and got up to slow dance with him. They came close to each other, holding hands and as the song carried on. They slowly stepped side to side as the melody sung along. Launa and Bill's eyes locked. Time seemed to stop around them. Nothing else mattered to them as long as they had each other.

            “I love you so much.” Bill told her. A tear ran down Launa's face.

            “I love you too.” she said emotionally.

            “I've got to be the luckiest man in the world.” he said still with a grin.

            The two of them kissed once more as the music kept playing softly in the background as their feet moved across the floor with there lips still pressed together.

© 2011 Red


Author's Note

Red
It's not my best work, but I think It's alright

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think it's a sweet and lovely tribute, and I'm sure your grandma loved it!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
1 Review
Added on August 24, 2011
Last Updated on August 24, 2011

Author

Red
Red

Portland, OR



About
Well, I'm not sure what you want to know about me or if you even want to in the first place. If somebody does decide to read this then I guess I better say something. I was born in Washington (no, .. more..

Writing
Chase Chase

A Story by Red


From The Tower From The Tower

A Poem by Red