Chapter 19: The Universe Awaits

Chapter 19: The Universe Awaits

A Chapter by Reese P. Holmes

Things moved quickly after that. Pen's collar was unlocked, and this time destroyed, and he and the three Earthlings had their bodies swipe-scanned with a computer pad for germ analysis. Every last one of the Gorgonins were tied up and accounted for, especially Arcon. Maita and her crew guided them onto recently discovered teleportation chambers right below the captain's deck.

Maita looked up at Om Sai, who looked away from her in disappointment. She put her hands on her hips and reasserted her dominance. “I don't know the truth. I just know how I feel. If ever you were my father, the Great hanor Om Sai, you are no longer. You're only a stranger to me now. And I won't let you get between me and my new family. So this is farewell.”

He developed a downcast frown. “If that's the case, then next we meet, you'll be my enemy, daughter.” She gave an icy smirk. “Then until next time, father,” she droned as she pulled the switch and sent them all on their way back to New Holborgon.

Once certain they were gone, Nicole waved her arms in the air and then formed a T. “Wait wait wait wait. Wait a minute here. Didn't you say that guy Om Sai was dead?”

Maita let down her emotional wall, exposing her melancholy. “I thought he was until he came to me earlier today telling me that Pen here's some lunatic who tried to kill him and succeeded in killing my mother.”

Charlie crossed his arms with a surly expression. “You don't really believe that, do you? I mean, Pen's just not like that.”

Maita gave a little shrug and glanced over at Pen with a budding smile. “Like I said, I don't know what I believe about the past. But I'm willing to look beyond it. Who he was no longer exists. Who he is now is all that matters.”

“Thanks Maita,” Pen smiled hopefully and gave her a warm hug, and she awkwardly returned it. He pat her on the back, sniffling. “That means a lot to me.”

She pushed him away gracefully and turned her attention to the giant control panel. “How did you know how to operate this computer? It's an unusual software,” she pondered aloud.

“I'm not sure; it just came to me actually,” Pen replied, looking out at the stars.

Maita gave him a bit of an askance look. “Maybe the past you helped work on this with Om Sai. It would make sense, considering he said you were someone he worked with.”

Pen's eyebrows rose. “He knows me? Did he say who I was?”

She bit her lip. “Well, not really. All he said was that you'd betrayed him.” Pen fiddled with a few buttons uncomfortably. “If I betrayed you all, then I'm sorry.” She put up her hands. “No, if anything he seems to have betrayed us. The father I knew would never join the Gorgonins. Maybe they even brainwashed him too. I guess now we'll never know for sure.

What I do know, however, is that you three have proven yourselves worthy allies and priceless friends. Nicole, Sarah, Charlie, please accept honorary positions in Om Sa Ee. And Pen, I'd be honored if you joined our fight as a member of our crew.”

Nicole tapped a finger on her chin. “Become honorary members of an alien peace agency? I dunno. Just kidding, of course I'll accept.”

Sarah kicked the floor shyly. “Of course,” she moused.

Charlie pumped his arm. “Yeah baby! I'd love to! But uh, as long as we still live on Earth, just visit you guys. No offense.”

Pen seemed the most genuinely in thought about the decision. “Even though you have your doubts about me, even though I have my doubts about me, you still would like me to join your organization?”

The leader Maita and several other members gave smiling nods.

He looked down, then at his human friends, who smiled reassuringly, then he shook his head. “I'm going to have to decline that offer for now. However, I'd humbly accept to be an honorary member as well.”

Everyone's jaws dropped. Nicole grabbed his shoulder. “What? Why wouldn't you accept this?” He looked back at her like she was an idiot, and she removed her hand and gave him a sullen look. Maita licked her lips. “Ah, of course I'll add you as an honorary member as well. However, the offer to join is available anytime.”

“Don't worry Maita dear, I'll teach you all I know about controlling the computer. It's kinda similar to my own programming. I just can't be stuck on this ship when I've got a whole new planet to explore. A whole new universe!” He whipped out his PIT device and held it in the air proudly. “And besides, these humans have become my family, and Earth my home.

The leader of Om Sai held her hand in front of her open mouth. “Oh, I see. Since that's the case, please consider us as your second home.”

Pen smiled warmly, almost teary eyed. “I already do.”

Just then, an Om Sai member walked over to them with a computer pad in hand. Maita turned her attention to the newcomer. “Update me, please Ianna.”

Ianna removed her hood, revealing she was a hanor, and looked down at Maita with dark hazel eyes. Her black curly hair was tied back in a bun, revealing a slightly aged face with near flawless dark skin. “I've updated the databank and it should be automatically downloading to all nanomachines in the local area as we speak.

I also sent the information anonymously to the Nanomachine Bases on New Holborgon and that ought to prevent an epidemic. However, I do have concerns that these alien microbes may cause curiosity within the scientific community. These alien species of microbes are both like and unlike our own in many ways, and the value in studying them is immense. Inquiring minds may attempt to track down the origin of the update.”

Maita pushed back her lavender blond hair. “I see. We'll worry about it when that day comes, but thank you for your concern and diligent anonymity. Since the update has been completed, then Pen should recover fully within a few hours?”

Ianna looked Pen over and swiped her computer pad over his arm. “He should be fine very soon. However, the aliens are alarmingly infected with our microbial life, and they don't have nanomachines to protect them. They don't appear to have any augmented systems whatsoever.”

Nicole rose an eyebrow. “Alarmingly how?”

Sarah, until that point, had been listening on in fascination, but then became concerned and pushed her hair out of her face. “I was afraid that would happen. What are the chances you can implement your technology within our human bodies? But that still doesn't help the other Earthlings, as we'd be carriers of the next small pox devastation, or worse.”

Ianna turned her attention to Sarah with an impressed smile. “Well, you appear to have some knowledge of disease. Are you a doctor on your planet?”

Sarah looked at her feet, turning pink as her hair fell back into her face. “S-sort of. I'm actually just a veterinarian.”

The black haired hanor grabbed Sarah's clenched hand. “A veterinarian, that's amazing! It's a real pleasure and an honor to meet you after hearing so much about you all. I'm Ianna, a doctor and a scientist for members of OmSaEe.”

Sarah looked up. “I'm Sarah. Pleased to meet you too,” she said as she gently shook hands.

Ianna released her hand. “Am I right in saying no one on Earth has any technology to combat disease, such as nanomachines?”

Sarah chuckled. “I think we're going to have something kind of like that soon, but not yet. It's nowhere near as developed. So, you're thinking we can use your nanomachines in our bodies?”

Charlie stuck out his tongue. “No way. I'm not putting some invisible alien tech inside my body.” Nicole rubbed her arm, seeming uncertain. “Yeah, I'd prefer to learn more about it first.”

Ianna looked over at the other two humans. “Indeed, humans are compatible. Nanomachines are generally considered safe, but I'll give you information so you can decide for yourselves first. And I assure you that you are most certainly compatible.” She then showed Sarah the chart on her computer pad. “In fact, while doing a preliminary on the human body, I came across something extraordinary. Can you make sense of this data?” Sarah shook her head and tilted it as if the change of perspective might help her. “N-no, unfortunately this is very different looking from my planet's science.”

This prompted Ianna to explain. “This is just the preliminary examination, but from what I can see, you humans are extremely similar to us hanor on a DNA level. You have lighter bodies as your bones are lower density, and you appear to lack the little understood organ we have in our frontal lobe that gives us our psychic sensitivity, but other than that and a few other things, you're remarkably the same as us. I dare say we're even genetically compatible.”

The blond human scratched her head. “That is amazing. We'll have to look further into it. It's far too similar to be mere coincidence, right?”

The hanor doctor nodded. “The likelihood of it being mere coincidence is infinitesimal. However, I cannot speculate just yet.”

“Those nanomachines still wouldn't protect our flora and fauna, would they?”

“I wouldn't worry too much about you becoming carriers of foreign disease, as the nanomachines are designed to destroy bodies programmed for them to detect. However, there is a chance you could carry foreign bodies to or from your planet if the nanomachines I inject into you aren't programmed to eradicate it. You'd have to be scanned and updated before every trip you make, similarly to how we hanor treat interplanetary travel.”

Pen rubbed his five-o'clock shadow. “I never thought of that. Perhaps I can somehow implement automatic updates with my PIT device.”

Ianna put her free hand on her hip. “And how are you going to do that? Isn't that just a teleportation device? You'd need an entirely different set of equipment and an expert to operate it. Nanomachines can be dangerous if wrongly programmed.”

The queer inventor began fingering the PIT in his pocket thoughtfully. “I dunno how just yet, but I'll figure it out,” he cheerfully admitted. “Perhaps you can help me.”

“How?” the scientist asked curiously.

“I'm thinking I'll have one leader machine within the PIT that investigates every unknown microbe it encounters, then teleport to connect and send the data back to a satellite near New Holborgon, which will send the data to you on this ship. You can gain plenty of new research material while at the same time, update the leader machine, which will then teleport back to my PIT device. Or something like that, I haven't really worked out all of the hows.”

“That's ridiculous. It would never work. Trust me when I say you should just have a trained expert scan and update your nanomachines upon arriving and leaving.”

“And where am I gonna get a trained expert?” Pen asked in exasperation.

Ianna cleared her throat and pointed at Sarah. “I could teach her.”

Sarah's eyes widened. “Wh-what? Teach me?” Ianna put her arm around Pen and Sarah. “If Pen and you create an English version of the program and add an AI copy of myself, operating it would become relatively simple. Then, you can update the nanomachines on your own terms without having to worry about reaching me.”

Pen squealed in excitement. “That's purely brilliant! What are we waiting for?”

And so the three scientific minds retreated to the laboratory to implement their plans, while Maita heaved a great sigh and leaned against the wall, staring at the giant control panel.



Pen and Sarah were hooked up remotely to the ship's computer as she read every word of her digital dictionary that was stored in her smart phone. The alphabet, grammar, syntax, and every word she processed in her brain was recorded and learned by the computer, which stored it as a fully functional language on file. Once stored, translating the program into English was simply a matter of commanding the computer to do so.

Ianna and Pen downloaded an AI program from the Klaxoborgon digital internet, which Sarah was surprised to find out was relatively similar to her own, yet infinitely more built upon. The two hanor scientists uploaded Ianna's mind and created a flexible, learning AI program based on it.

Finally, after roughly two days Earth time, the English/Hanor Nanomachine program and the Ianna AI program, or IAI, were both inserted into a computer pad that was then gifted to Sarah by Ianna. “I believe you will accomplish great things with this new tool, Sarah. I'm proud to have assisted you. Go now and vaccinate your friends.”

Sarah wiped away a tear. “Thank you so much Ianna. I'll never forget this,” she sobbed as she gave her a giant hug, and then turned pink before rushing off to find her friends. Pen laughed. “Thanks as well!” he called out, working to catch up with the shy blond.



Nicole and Charlie were resting on chairs at a table in a break room, teaching Eek how to play Tic Tac Toe. “No, he won diagonally,” Nicole chuckled. Charlie beamed, but got up upon noticing Sarah and ran over to her. “Hey Sarah! Hey Pen! What's up? Is it done?”

A huge smile spread across Sarah's lips as she revealed the computer pad she'd been holding behind her back. “Ta-daaa! An English nanomachine program! It does more than that. Did you know that this galaxy has something really similar to internet here? It can connect to that! I mean, I don't understand a lick of it, but Pen says he can try and program it to translate pages into English for me.”

Charlie rose both brows. “Wow, that's super interesting, amazing even. But you're getting off topic. So are we gonna have to get injected with these nanomachines or what?” Nicole and Eek joined in the group, and now they were settled in a loose circle. “I'm afraid we'll probably have to, but from what we've been told it doesn't sound so bad. Never getting acne, no more sick days, even living longer than normal, all of that sounds like it's worth the risk to me.”

Charlie's face turned glum. “Don't forget these nanomachines could attack our perfectly healthy cells, mimicking cancer and other immune system disorders. And what if it gets rid of my freckles?!”

Sarah giggled. “Don't worry Charlie. I'd have to program it to attack our cells, and I really don't intend on it. And as long as IAI is by my side, I couldn't possibly make such a stupid move. I'm so sure it's safe that I've already injected myself with them. Also, there's a super simple personalized option menu that lets you choose what they do for you. It's amazing. I feel so lucky to be gifted such advanced technology.”

The sullen red head crossed his arms. “Well, as long as you promise I won't lose my freckles.”

“You can even choose everything for yourself,” Sarah assured.

Nicole wiggled her body in excitement. “Eee! I can't wait. This sounds amazing! You look great by the way Sarah! Your complexion is so even!”

Sarah blushed. “Really? Thanks.”

They all checked off their personal preferences and were painlessly injected with new nanomachines by the computer pad.

Charlie waited a few seconds and investigated his arms carefully. “I don't feel any different, or even look any different.”

Nicole glanced at her reflection in her pocket mirror. “I dunno about you, but I'm looking a little less blotchy already. I can't wait to throw away my foundation.”

Pen laughed. “I take it this wasn't nearly so bad as you two made it out to be.”

Sarah cleared her throat. “And now that we're all free from infection, we've really got to get back to Earth. My kitty is probably so lonely, and maybe even out of food and water by now.”

Charlie rose a brow. “Lonely? Maybe. Out of food and water? Not likely with those refilling bowls constantly filled to the brim. But you're right. My mom's probably going to kill me for being MIA.” Nicole chuckled nervously. “I'm going to have to look for a new job at this rate, so yeah. Let's get going.”

And so, they said farewell to Maita and all of OmSaEe before disappearing in a flash of blue light, destination Earth.



© 2014 Reese P. Holmes


Author's Note

Reese P. Holmes
With this final post, I can officially state I've finished a novel. Yes, it needs rewriting, editing, more love and attention. But you know what?! That's easy compared to the actual writing process where you come up with original content!
AHHHHHH!! I'm a writer! I've finished a book! WOOOO! Yippy! Another thing to cross off the bucket list.

Yeah, anyway, it's the first time I've written the ending to a novel, so please let me know how I can improve.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

319 Views
Added on May 11, 2014
Last Updated on May 12, 2014
Tags: Singularity Effect, War, Aliens, Teleportation, Space travel, Adventure, Action