A Valehim Short Story

A Valehim Short Story

A Story by Reklahn
"

A story from one of the many adventures my buddies and I had during our Valehim play-through.

"

“HOLD FAST!!!” I yelled. Lightning struck the roaring water, evaporating it into a boiling mist. Arden sat at the bow, clutching the sides of the longboat. Mjoll steadied herself on the mast. The mainsail was hoisted, powerless against the incoming wind. Under the deck, the black metal scraps fell loose, proving to be too heavy to be secured. The waves rocked the ship and our cargo, nearly tipping us over. As we rolled over the crest of the wave, my heart sank at Arden’s call.

“TO OUR RIGHT, SERPENT!” he shouted, his voice more thunderous than the storm. Without hesitation, Mjoll drew her bow. The frost-tipped arrows flew at the monster, imitating the same howl as the frozen wyrms atop the mountains. The serpent rose above the waves, its screech accepting Arden’s challenge. The wind, sea, and monsters were now fighting us. At that moment, I knew Odin was watching, waiting to see what we mortals could do. I sat up from the helm and joined Mjoll and Arden as he drew his bow. I looked up to the roiling skies, I held up my arms and channeled all my strength into my chest. Only a single name was on my mind. 

“MODER!” I commanded. Another screech, but not the Serpent’s this time. I ran back to the helm and steered the ship over the next wave. The storm became quiet for a second as the slew of arrows kept impaling themselves at the approaching threat. The cold wind now gone, Arden and Mjoll’s arrows fought nothing but the beast. The Serpent was now at our hull. It rose once again. Its jaw opened wide, ready for its next meal. Arden dropped his bow onto the deck. In his hands now he held his spear, the Fenring fang at its tip shining with every lightning strike. As he dug it deep into the Serpent’s scales, the wind picked up again. My beard now fluttered away from me, towards the bow of the ship. 

“DROP THE MAINSAIL” I ordered. Mjoll looked over to me as she released her fully drawn arrow. With a single nod, she rushed to the mast and dropped the sail. In the distance, despite the deafening storm, I swear I could hear the flapping of enormous wings. Moder heard me. Now sailing at tailwind, we left the beast behind. The serpent clenched its jaw where our boat once sat idly. I held the rudder steady, knowing we’d be home soon. Arden reclaimed his bow and aimed it over my shoulder. I looked behind me to find that the beast was giving chase, its hunger knowing no mercy. It slammed itself against the hull, pushing us forward. The wood splintered but held. I’ll have to pour Loris a well-deserved mead for his craftsmanship if we make it home. Mjoll and Arden once again knocked their arrows and let them loose at the Serpent, once again nearly catching up to us.

As we made it over the next wave, Mjoll’s next arrow was true and struck the monster in its eye. Its painful cry left a ringing in my ears, I looked over to see the creature backing away, back into crashing waves. At that moment, I don’t know if it was adrenaline, hatred, or Odin himself, but I couldn’t stop myself. I clutched the rudder towards me, turning the boat back into the storm. Now the wind was chasing us, Moder trying to keep up with me. The Serpent’s tail was barely visible, but my eyes were locked onto it. The ship surged over the waves, threatening to break apart, but I had to trust Loris once again. We crashed back down onto the foot of the wave. The Serpent was just ahead, bobbing in its blood.

 Mjoll aimed, and let loose another deadly arrow. It struck the Serpents side. Another arrow followed closely. I could hear Arden’s grunts with each arrow he drew. The Serpent swam away again, but it wouldn’t be getting far. I chased it, now we were the ones without mercy. As the Serpent swam circles, the wind kept up with the boat as it twisted and turned. I could feel the fear in the Serpent’s cries, finally knowing what it was like to be mortal. Arden let loose one final arrow. It struck through the beast scales straight into its heart. The light faded from the Serpent’s eyes. Mjoll raised the sail to slow us down so we could collect our bounty.

“We’re eating well tonight!” I cheered as we dragged part of the Serpent’s corpse onto the deck. The storm was calming. Through the clouds, shafts of sunlight began to illuminate the waters. The warmth of one was aimed at our longboat. I strongly believe that was Odin, smiling upon us.

© 2021 Reklahn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
Added on April 28, 2021
Last Updated on April 28, 2021
Tags: Viking, Sailing, Monsters, Fantasy

Author

Reklahn
Reklahn

About
Starting out with the writing thing, I'll hopefully be able to write a whole book one day! more..