DEAD POETS

DEAD POETS

A Poem by Rene Velez

they say to write in solid structures
study classic forms and classic writers
but I'm a writer free of form
I don't conform to the classic ways
I am a poet of today, and so I
side step and let the educated mourn them

though I have respect for my elders
I aspire to be better and if
I fail my thoughts are still my own
from the depths of my center
where thoughts spill but words never enter
from the mastered forms of before

I've read the greats like Keats and Yeats
but I breathe in struggle, I don't relate
to their poetic ideals, my misery is real
there are trials in life I can not appeal

greats of English word they served it well
within their time, my anvil to quell
I jot in rhyme I breathe sublime, in this time

for they are done caring
and I, not a thin paring


© 2011 Rene Velez


Author's Note

Rene Velez
your either going to hate it or love it...so go ahead, but explain...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

@ invs: I appreciate the critique, to each his own I say, but does expression and poetry have to be put in a box and stored away, or can it just over flow and become something new...I am only stating poetry has to progress in order for it not to die, it's not very popular these days unless your sitting drivel on stage, stagnant is not what I want for the art of poetry...I did say I respected the greats though...I didn't put them down...






Posted 12 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is great. I feel the same way when I write. I can't be conformed my technique and rules. I write freely, this might upset some or get under their skin. But that's too bad. I'm inspired by both the old and new writers I meet. Well penned!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I've read many great writers old and new, especially being on this site. Its hard to find words to describe such a masterpiece as this. I've suffered a lot I wouldnt wish upon my worst enemy, but expressing myself through my writes - I partially believe thats the reason for my being here today. Brilliant write.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like the old Poets and writers. A Mark Twain poem is as powerful as today as when he wrote them over 100 years ago. I go to the old writers to revive my spirit and make me desire to write with skill and thoughts. I believe writing is a lifetime skill. The stories of Hemingway/Kosinski and Nevil Shute were from a complete life filled with pain and pleasure. I enjoyed this poem. Made me think again. A excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


i really like how this flows and the message it sends

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like this. It does show. Those of us who do not choose to write in perfectly structured writing, or writing without any actual pairing. It's just raw emotion. Like poetry should be. I think the only classic reader I can stomach all the poems from is Emily Dickenson. And that's just obvious. Her writing is amazing for the reason it isn't stuck on structure like the rest of them.
Great read,
Good job on the writing, wording, and subject

-Marie-

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Love is not a strong enough word for my feelings on this piece Rene, it reaks of perfect pleasure in the mind of the reader. As an established and publicised poet myself, I must say in total honesty that this piece is new, it's exciting and bares the traits of what is to come of todays' writers. Leave the past diciplines of yester-century to the vile protectors of trasition and keep what your doing, learnind the craft of your pen and feeling free to express it, well done a great read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I would say that is a love! This is really good hon...yes, we should always read those greats but at the end of the day...movement forward is paramount! :)
Another brilliant piece of work :)
xx

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Standing beside you on this one Rene, its about growth. art grows and changes its not about being "versed in the ways", if it was we'd still be living in the dark ages. Its just ignorant "elitism" from those who think they know and jingoistic at that :P

Show me an academic and Ill show you someone who cannot change a lightbulb...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like your write. If we all expressed ourselves like Poe or Frost, whom would then be lost; us or them? We write as our hearts tell us. I agree with one comment that tells that we can learn from the writers of the past; however, we don't need to mimic them.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

@ invs: I appreciate the critique, to each his own I say, but does expression and poetry have to be put in a box and stored away, or can it just over flow and become something new...I am only stating poetry has to progress in order for it not to die, it's not very popular these days unless your sitting drivel on stage, stagnant is not what I want for the art of poetry...I did say I respected the greats though...I didn't put them down...






Posted 12 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1537 Views
41 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 6 Libraries
Added on August 17, 2011
Last Updated on August 18, 2011

Author

Rene Velez
Rene Velez

New York City, NY



About
Poetry... what else needs to be said? [email protected] more..

Writing
PIECES PIECES

A Poem by Rene Velez


SOUL SOUL

A Poem by Rene Velez



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Old Old

A Poem by Muse