Chapter 7- Decisions

Chapter 7- Decisions

A Chapter by Rhonda

٧

القرارات

   "What did you think about him?" I ask my parents after the show.

   "I think you two should be together." they both say. I then tell them about what Hussein told me about Matthew. They both swear at him in Arabic.

   "Are you okay now?" mom asks.

   "Yeah. I'm gonna go to bed."

   "Okay, goodnight." they bith say and I return with a "good night".

 

   It's the night of the final show of the season. Either Mike or I will win American Idol. My town will be celebrating me making it this far. I also heard that all of the Middle East will be celebrating.

   I see Mike three hours before the show. He manages to get his hand in my jacket pocket. After he walks away, I see if he put anything in there. He put a small piece of paper in there that says "Rose Park, 5:30". Once it turns 5:15, I jump in my car to go to the park. This park is not a park with play structure for kids. It's a park with all sorts of plants. There's some gazebos also. I go here to just relax and think sometimes.

   When I get to the park, I try to find Mike. I see him next to a beautiful bush of plants. He's sitting on the ground underneath a red blanket. I see a traditional brown picnic basket.

   He's not noticing that I'm in the park, but he keeps checking his watch. I've never noticed that he wore watches.

   I decide to walk up behind him so I can scare him a little.

   "Maybe I shouldn't" I think and decide not to. I just come up to him casually.

   "Hey." I say with a smile.

   "Hey, how are you?" he smiles back.

   "Fine, thanks; a little nervous about the show, you?"

   "Same here. I hope you haven't eaten dinner yet."

   "No. I'm actually quite hungry."

   "Let's dig in then." There are chicken sandwhiches and chips. He also brought lemonade.

   "This is the only thing I can make. I'm a terrible cook." we laugh in unison.

   "I happen to know how to cook. Middle Eastern food is my specialty."

   "I thought so. That falafel was good the other night." Everyone chose to go to a Middle Eastern resturaunt the other night.

   "It was the second best one I've ever had." I reply.

   "Which is the best?"

   "My mom's." We talk for a while. He suddently looks me in the eye seriously.

   "Alina?" he asks.

   "Yes?"

   "Have you made a decision? You know, about us?" I tell him what Hussein told me.

   "Listen." he says and holds my hands. "I will always take care of you. I will never, ever hurt you. I will learn your culture and language." He gazes at me for a moment and then, we kiss. His lips feel so soft.

   This is the first time I've ever been kissed. It feels amazing.

   After we're done, we walk away as a couple, hand-in-hand. I picked the right guy. I won't regret it.

 

   The show has just begun. I'm so scared and nervous. I feel happy at the same time.

   I can see Matthew staring at me in the audience. I feel a sliver of sadness, but I become happy again. I replay the whole picnic with Mike and I over and over again.

   I notice a bunch of celebrities. Most of them are American, but I do see the biggest singers in the Arab world. From left to right: Fares Karam, Najwa Karam, Wael Kfoury, Elissa, Nancy Ajram, Amr Diab, Fairouz, Myriam Fares, Haifa, Yara, Tamer Hosny, and WAMA.

   I get to perform with the top 12 ladies, with the top 24, and by myself twice. If I win, I get to perform the second time.

   I have a chance to sit down for half an hour. I think about the beginning. I remember meeting Mike for the first time. I remember singing on the first live episode. Getting butterflies in my stomach when singing the duet with Mike in the top 4. My favorite moment overall was meeting him.

   It's now my turn to sing with the ladies. I'll try not to eye Matthew at all.

   We sing an array of modern songs and older songs. We all have a chance to sing in our highest voices. Not to be arrogant or direspect anyone, but I think I have the highest.

   Time passes and I get to sing with everyone now. I love seeing everyone again.

   Now, I sing by myself. I sing my favorite, "Elli Kan" by Nancy Ajram. I play the qanoon which is an insturment with strings. It's a traditional insturment. Frankly, it's the only instrument I know how to play. I also sing and dance "Ne'oul Eih" by Amr Diab.

   It's now time for the announcement of the winner. I would be happy if either Mike or I won. If I win, I get to sing the song that won in the lyric contest. Every year, americanidol.com holds a song writing conest. The best song gets to be sung by the winner of American Idol.

   I join Mike in the middle of the stage. We hold hands praying for eachother. Ryan joins us shortly.

   "This is an interesting cultural difference between these two." Everyone cheers at that statement. "The person who wins will be the first from California and the first Muslim." Everyone cheers louder.

   Ryan begins to read the card containing the name of the winner. Either way, the winner will make history in the show.

   "And the winner is...." I start praying, silently, for myself and Mike. I have too many butterflies in my stomach.

   The dramatic music keeps playing as the crowd yells the name of their favorite contestant. I hear en equal amount of fans for both of us.

    "The winner of season 9 is... Alina Kanaan!" OH MY GOSH! I just won AMERICAN IDOL! I hug Mike for so long. I cry tears of joy. My dream has come true. It's so weird realizing that this isn't a dream It's real!

   All of the previous contestants come up on the stage to hug me as well. The Arab singers follow them.

   I sing the final song. I barely make it through because I'm so happy. The tears keep coming.

   After everything, I go to the back and await Matthew.

   "I'm happy for you." he appears with a smile on his face.

   "Thanks, I am too."

   "What did your parents say?" Hussein comes in the room to protect me.

   "I told her, man." Hussein says.

   "After I told you not to?"

   "Yeah. I guess you were too stupid enough to think that I wouldn't tell her. You fool!"

   "Stay away from me. Allah will never forgive you for lying about your faith!" I say angrily.

   "I will! You can be with your dumb little boyfriend. I'll get you someday." Matthew yells and walks away.

   "I'll always have your back." Hussein whispers to me.

   "Thanks for defending me." I'm on the verge of tears. They're not happy ones. We all walk away. I'm happy, but sad now. I see Mike and I tell him what happened.

   "Are you two okay?" he asks.

   "Yeah." we reply. We then go to bed so we have enough energy to fly out tomorrow. The first thing I'm gonna do is take Mike to my four countries. Then, he'll take me to his country.

 

   We're now in Egypt. Once again, I get off the plane feeling happier than ever.

   After we get into town, Mike's amazed at the wonderful place. His family agrees.

   He has three sisters and one brother. His youngest sibling is Bethany, who's eight. She has dark brownn hair with hazel eyes. The next is Michelle, who's eleven. She has blonde hair with blue eyes. Shiela's fifteen. She has brown hair and blue eyes. Last is Nick, who's twenty. He has blonde hair and hazel eyes. Bethany was born on Janurary 3, 2002. Michelle was on November 8, 1998. Shiela was on July 20, 1995 and Nick was on October 4, 1985.

   His parents are Fred and Cheryl Anderson.

 

   I'm going to the recording studio. First, I have to sign the contract staing that I'll be with Rotana for at least five years. If I want to be with Rotana after that, I must renew the contract.

   "Hello, Alina. How are you?" the owner of Rotana asks in Arabic before I sign.

   "I'm fine, thanks. How about you?"

   "Fine. May you please read the contract and then sign?"

   "I will." I start reading. I'm satisfied with what it says, so I sign.

   Mike has an offer to sign with a record company in Ireland also. He gets to make songs in his native language as well. We're gonna have a happy life together.

  

  



© 2010 Rhonda


Author's Note

Rhonda
i will post a chapter at least once a week. i won't write until i post every chapter i've written so far

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very good chapter. She won the Idol contest and made some big decisions. A fast pace chapter. I like the parent attitude. A very strong chapter. Thank you.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very interesting and inspiring:)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

321 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 11, 2010
Last Updated on December 12, 2010


Author

Rhonda
Rhonda

CA



About
I'm 13. I love to write and I love Arabic music and culture. No, my avatar is not a photo of me! It's a photo of my favorite singer, Nancy Ajram! Yes, I am American! more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Rhonda


Loneliness Loneliness

A Poem by Rhonda



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I REGRET I REGRET

A Poem by JENY


WOMAN WOMAN

A Poem by JENY