Suffocation

Suffocation

A Story by Rhia Barton
"

Something written for the contest 'Your Greatest Fear'.

"
I wake up to find that I'm surrounded by blackness. The body that usually presses against me at night is absent and their space is cold. I cannot see, I cannot hear and I cannot speak. It feels like something is pressing on my chest and I am paralyzed with fear and lack of oxygen. The blackness is so heavy that it suffocates me - I can scarcely gasp for help. My fingers won't wriggle, my toes won't wiggle and my eyes will not break open no matter how hard I try. The suffocation shifts then. It still presses on my chest in inconceivable pain but now it's within me as well, tugging on my heart and lungs until they are pulled taut and stretched to their capacity. It's like I'm drowning in dense, black liquid. It seeps its way into my airway and blocks it, forcing itself further and further down until I'm full of it. The pain is ricocheting and my heart is slowing. This is it, I think. But the pressure changes again. This time it's thick and in my throat and it stings my nose and eyes, though they are still clamped shut. The pain is so intense that it's white-hot and despite my desperate efforts, I cannot scream. This is fire, licking at my nerves and clogging my lungs with thick tar and ashen smoke. If I could choke, I would, if I could gag, I would, if I could breathe, I would. There is nothing but suffocation. 
And then I wake up again. The light is on. The body is sleeping beside me. I can slump and sigh with relief. 
And then the light turns off and I am plunged into darkness again. 

© 2016 Rhia Barton


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I had this feeling only two times in my life and i was scared to s**t. Very well written and the ending ends the story pretty strongly like a writer trying to show his strength with a single little theme. Keep writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rhia Barton

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much! I agree, it's terrifying. It started off as nightmares but then it morphed into.. read more
The taste IS quite real and the stuff of a good nightmare.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rhia Barton

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much!
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
skittish mind

7 Years Ago

wonderful writing. I am amazed to see the powerful explanation of that events. you narrate the event.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

426 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 22, 2016
Last Updated on March 22, 2016
Tags: horror, fear, scary, death

Author

Rhia Barton
Rhia Barton

Milton Keynes, Bucks, United Kingdom



About
Horror, fantasy and sarcasm. more..

Writing
PTSD PTSD

A Poem by Rhia Barton