What It Feels To Be Alone

What It Feels To Be Alone

A Poem by Rhia Barton
"

My struggle with depression has lasted for almost a year, perhaps more. This is me trying to explain what it's like.

"
The world is an unforgiving black 
With tendrils that stick like oil 
And drowns and stains like ink 

To others it's a pale blue or a 
Vibrant green 
They don't understand what it feels 
To be alone 

I'm crawling through tar 
I'm wallowing in cement 
People walk past on the grass and ask 
"Why don't you just walk over here?" 

Even if I could, I don't think I would want to
This is my punishment for all 
The bad things I've done or 
Thought and so I deserve to feel 
Alone 

Some days my bed is a trap 
It is not a comfort unlike others 
It is a thick net that won't let me leave 
When my brain is its own trapper 

There are some days where I am fine 
I am okay 
I can do what I want 
But these are few and far between 

There are some days where all I can 
Think of is the pain and how much I 
Deserve it because I am too 
Weak 
I am too 
Useless 

I am not the only one to feel like this but 
They have different problems 
I can never truly be accepted 
I am the only one feeling this way 

Selfish 
Weak
Useless
Selfish
Weak
Useless 
I deserve it

This is what it feels to be alone 

© 2016 Rhia Barton


Author's Note

Rhia Barton
Bit dark. I was diagnosed about 2 and a half months ago for the condition I have suffered with for a year, perhaps more. If I spilled every thought that helped me explain how it feels, this would be a very long poem. As it stands, I have work today so I can't go into too much detail. I'll be honest, this is a big step for me, considering I have friends and now family on here who will probably read this. Reviews are welcome. Anything that is offensive will immediately be flagged and removed. Constructive criticism is also welcome!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hey Rhia,
This is such a beautiful poem, your use of colour to describe emotion is a true skill. The difference between being happy and feeling empty, especially the cement and the grass gives true expression to your writing.
Also the layout and style of the poem only adds to emotion you've filled this poem with, the enjambment and one word lines puts emphasis on the feeling of being lost.
It is truly beautiful and hits the spot.
Amazing write :D

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Rhia Barton

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much :D



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
L.Z
Loved the way you described the feeling that you're the only one who feels like that. That touched the point of how loneliness can make you feel like a degenrate not because of social norms.

I think that if the subject the poem is about is "what it feels like to be alone", It may've been more likeable if you added more expressions of the *reasons* why it feels that way, I didn't see any explanations about the "useless" feeling.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rhia Barton

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much for the review! I'm glad that you liked the loneliness feeling :) As for the rea.. read more
I may not understand what pain you went through but I know how it feels to be alone... This is truly a courageous write, it's not easy to put these type of feelings in paper and show them to others and for that my hat goes off to you... I have dealt with depression for almost 2years so I know the experiences you have shared and I can really relate to them...

Regards
Dhiman

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rhia Barton

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your thoughtful words. I'm glad I've managed to capture what it is to have t.. read more
Inject Positivity

8 Years Ago

You definitely did a brilliant and courageous hob... You are welcome...
Powerful and truly mesmerizing. This poem captures the emotions so well that it literally feels like you have picked up a brush and painted them in colours. Fantastic. I really liked it, thank you for sharing it, and keep on writing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rhia Barton

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your kind words!
Poetry tends to be "personal" - and depression tends to be as personal as it gets. We each "face" our own mirrors - but always remember "mirrors lie" - they tell us only what WE think NOT the reality of what we see.

I'm not "kind" - I speak my mind and hence show what I understood from listening to your words. I don't look for poetic greatness - I look for the "person"... we've each of us tasted aloneness and can recognize it in others. I tasted yours.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rhia Barton

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much for the review! I appreciate it :) If your review is this well-written I can't w.. read more
This is amazing. I feel exactly the same way. Selfish, weak, and useless. Afraid to get help, afraid that no one will care. Afraid that people will treat me differently, like I'm "special". You captured the feelings of depression perfectly within this poem.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rhia Barton

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much for the review and I'm glad that I do the feeling justice. Hang in there, okay?
Ember Smyth

8 Years Ago

I'm trying :)
So today you'll get more reaction than review from me. Life is hard and we don't get to play the fair card. But I wonder so often if writers and artists are simply constructed with a darker palette than the world at large? The ability to recreate comes with teeth and claws. I've seen it in my own family. Brilliant musicians, artists, writers - all going to the "dark side" because monsters are real and they live in our heads and hearts. My encouragement is always: keep creating. Keep writing until the words run clear - until the poetry is filled with light and life. Art can be cathartic and encouraging, even when it is written in blood and black ink. Peace. Well penned.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rhia Barton

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much for the kind words :)
Depression is very hard to deal with. It takes a lot of strength and courage. You did a great job here in expressing yourself.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rhia Barton

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much for the kind words :)
Hello Rhia,
I myself suffer from depression and this poem expresses every aspect of emptiness you feel.....it's exhausting for me....I hope you recover..a very dark and deep poem

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rhia Barton

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much :) I hope things get better for you as well :/
Patricia Stephmore

8 Years Ago

Welcome Rhia :-)
true words great poetry work amazingly written keep it up
:)


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rhia Barton

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much :)
Urja Gokani

8 Years Ago

welcome :)
"drowns like ink" ---- What? Even in the context of the stanza that makes no sense. That's not good writing. It's poetry sure, but, you have to make sense on some level. Drowning like ink? That is meaningless.

The rest is great. Written well, not too stuffy or rigid. Captures the attention, I was not bored.

You describe the self reinforcing trap that dealing with depression alone really is.

On an unrelated note:
"Anything that is offensive will immediately be flagged and removed".

-You disgust me for including that.... you're not a creative writer if this is the atmosphere you actively engender around your work. Depressed or not, you should not threaten the world to be nice to you. Don't drowned in the light, you will never really know it until it's too late.... when your nothing but a permanent smile and a bullshit compliment - not a human, a character from some stupid morality play you never wrote. Be offended, figure out why and disarm it, it's a tremendous way to grow. If you're strong enough.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Davidgeo

8 Years Ago

Of course I shouldn't expect others to hold my point of view, I know that. But I'm kind of an a****.. read more
Rhia Barton

8 Years Ago

That's all fine, we're all different after all. Thanks again for the review, I really do appreciate .. read more
Davidgeo

8 Years Ago

It's all good. I have more respect for you from your past comments. You are articulated yourself w.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1775 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 8, 2016
Last Updated on April 27, 2016
Tags: depression, sad, angst, trigger warning, anxiety

Author

Rhia Barton
Rhia Barton

Milton Keynes, Bucks, United Kingdom



About
Horror, fantasy and sarcasm. more..

Writing
PTSD PTSD

A Poem by Rhia Barton



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..