Gratefulness in Life

Gratefulness in Life

A Story by Rhiannon Dragonraine

 

Gratefulness is the key to a happy life that we hold in our hands, because if we are not grateful, then no matter how much we have we will not be happy -- because we will always want to have something else or something more. ~Brother David Steindl-Rast
Gratitude, defined by dictionary.com as: –noun the quality or feeling of being grateful or thankfulis a very important quality to have in our lives. The Autumn Harvest has come and gone and we have released that which no longer serves our highest good, turning our thoughts toward winter’s solitary months. As we move forward it is important to be grateful for what we have received in the past year.
Gratitude is more than saying “thank you” though, it is truly feeling and showing appreciation for everything that we have gained, had or will have. A grateful attitude helps us to open more fully to the possibility of having. Thankfulness moves us into a higher vibration, more in tune with the frequency of Divine energy. This attitude moves us closer to love and compassion, for as we show and feel our appreciation for everything and everyone in our lives, we begin to feel a deeper respect which then can deepen into spiritual love.
We should be thankful for the situations that come up in our lives as these are lessons and opportunities to grow closer to the divine, to deepen our own awareness and to progress our spiritual growth. Appreciation for the people in our lives is important as well, for they are brought into our life for a reason. People, whether we like them, dislike them or are dispassionate about them, are instruments of the divine, coming into our lives to aid us in learning spiritual truths that will help our spiritual growth and thus better our lives. When we view others in this light it is easier to be patient and compassionate with those that we don’t get along with, and thus we can open ourselves up to be instruments of the Divine as well.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. ~Albert Schweitzer
There are many ways that someone can relight our flame, they can help us when we are down, or they can upset us and thus stoke the flame of our passions leading us to then act in concert with our own inner voice, putting forth action for the betterment of all. We experience our flames being lighted everyday as we go about the business of life, however it is not common place to appreciate all of these opportunities and aid that we receive, by thinking about what we need to be thankful for we begin to expand our awareness. When we are aware we are in greater communion with the Divine and thus we walk with Spirit. So when someone else helps us to see a lesson that we need to learn whether it be through a kind act or through a disagreement we should return this favor with kindness and compassion. Kindness and compassion are ways of showing our own gratitude as well.  
Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.
Cicero has revealed a great spiritual truth here for us. For when we live in gratitude we move forward with all other virtues at our disposal as we let ourselves see the bigger plan and understand the situations that arise, we are thankful for them as they are opportunities and lessons for us to learn. Gratitude is the vehicle of Oneness with the Divine. As we walk our path from this point forward let us attune ourselves to the words of Buddha, and open our hearts, minds and souls to the energy of gratitude.
Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.~Buddha
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



© 2009 Rhiannon Dragonraine


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

409 Views
Added on December 18, 2009

Author

Rhiannon Dragonraine
Rhiannon Dragonraine

Waynesville, MO



About
I am a person who is on a journey to discover who and what they are. Everyday brings new surprises and ideas and I love that about life; the constant change used to scare me but now I am moving beyon.. more..

Writing