The Hughes

The Hughes

A Chapter by Rhine Wolf

 

“Janie! Will you calm down? The kids will be here any minute now! The place looks Grate! They are going to love it!”
 
“You think so? God I hope so! Do you know if Jill will be staying? She doesn’t have to you know.”
 
“Janie, if Jill wants to stay, it will be fine, any way the kids might want her to, after all they have become quiet attached to her.”
 
“I know. It’s just that it will be the first time the kids will be come over to have a sleep over since… since Samantha’s….”
 
“I know love, I know.”
 
Taking Janie into his arms. She fitted so well, as if over the years of holding her, her slender figure had made an indent. Just like on the mattress upstairs.
 
“There, there love its ok there there.”
 
“Anyway the kids will be soon … whipping the tears from her face and straitening her dress … how do I look?” Looking up at her husband, into his loving eyes.
 
“You look lovely”
 
“What if Sean changes his mind? He could you know?”
 
“I am pretty sure that Sean would not do that to you. He knows how much you love those kids, hell you treat them as your own.”
 
“They are, you know?”
 
“I know, my love, I know.”
 
Janie snuggled in for a quick hug and headed for the stairs, leaving George to settle the last few things. It was only after an hour of tiding up and sorting, that George realized that the kids had not yet arrived. Janie was busy in the kitchen, preparing that nights feast. Not wanting to alarm Janie, he decided to give Sean a quick call.
 
First dialing the home number. No one there,
“He must have taken our advice and gone out. Ha. Cell number, where is it? Ah there we go.” …
 
“Thank you for your call. Unfortunately I am not available, please leave your name and number and I will get back to you shortly….. Sean, George here. Just checking, the kids are still coming over? Well let us know ok?”
 
“Who you talking to love? Have the kids arrived?”
 
“Just left a message on Sean’s cell. Seems as he has taken our advice and gone out. The kids are not here yet and that is strange, they where meant to be here an hour ago, that’s why I called Sean.”
 
“Do you have Jill’s number?” …
 
“Yeh was just about to dial it…. Hi ya leave me a message and I will get back to ya …. Jill George here, where are you guy’s, its 5:30? Give me a call when you get this, please…..”
 
“Nope straight to voice mail, they must have stopped somewhere on the way. Do you want me to take a drive out there?”
 
“No I am sure the kids got her to stop and get some ice-cream or something of the like. No don’t hassle.”
 
Janie was starting to get a bit anxious now and started to pace from the kitchen, where she was freighting over something or another, to the front door.
 
 “George where could they be? You did leave a message on Sean’s cell, hey? ... yes love … well I’m going to try again this is not like him at all.”
 
“Love he may have gone to the theater and turned off his cell….. glancing over to Janie, quickly added … but then again it would have gone straight to voice mail. Give it a try.”
 
“It is ringing! Dam voice mail … “Sean, Janie here. Have you changed your mind? Is it now 6pm and they are still not here.”
 
“This is not like him, not at all. What should we do?”
 
“Jill’s cell is still off. Where does she take them for ice-cream … s**t she told me last week, Chuckey’s? No that is for the burgers. Al’s Ice-cream! That’s it, where is the phone book?”
 
Janie handed George the directory and watched as he hastily flipped through the pages.
 
“There!” grabbing his phone off the arm of the couch, started to dial.
 “Yes, hi hope you can help me…. No, no I don’t want to order, I just need some info…. That little s**t! He hung up on me! Can you believe that! ... Yes you can help me, and if you hang-up on me again I will … Idiot!”
 
“Here let me call them … yes hi hope you can, what is your name? …. Harry can you tell me if there is a young lady, rather pretty with long strawberry-blond hair, and she would have three kids with her?...yes Jill… no you haven’t? Can you recall if they have been there in the last oh lets say 2 hours? … No? Ok Harry, thanks any way. Click.
 
“No they haven’t been there. At least they knew who I was talking about.”
 
“True but that still doesn’t explain where they are. Actually that hasn’t made me feel any better.”
 
Sitting on the edge of the couch, looking worried Janie replies, “Me neither.”
 
“Look lets go and take a drive to Sean’s place. It is a pretty straight route form here. What you think?”
 
George had already gotten up and was facing in the direction of the front door.
“Hold on a moment let me give Sean another try,”
 
“ok. But if there is no one there we are going over.”
 
“… voice mail again… Sean it is now 7pm this not like you too not call, what is going on? Is everything ok? (George in the background… to hell with it you tell him we coming over…”
 
George was already in the car by the time Janie reached the garage. The Ford was running and read to go. Placing her hand on the roof as she reach down to pull the car door open.
 
Suddenly a pair of strong arms grabbed hold of her from behind and before she could scream, a rag was placed over her mouth. Shock set in immediately with the realization that this was a kidnapping.
 
Kicking and thrashing around trying to break her assailants’ grip, whilst he dragged her towards the waiting van. Finding that it is becoming increasingly more difficult to struggle, her limbs started to feel heavy as though lead where being pored into them.
 
George! Help me! George! George!
 

Her mind was screaming out to him begging him to come to her rescue, he was just sitting there in the car staring straight at her, not moving. That was the last thing that she saw before she blacked out.



© 2008 Rhine Wolf


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Janie! Will you calm down? The kids will be here any minute now! The place looks Grate! They are going to love it!"
I think you mean 'The place looks Great!'

Taking Janie into his arms. She fitted so well, as if over the years of holding her, her slender figure had made an indent. Just like on the mattress upstairs.
I love this part really is sweet..... blesss.....

An absoloutly brilliant start hun, i wonder were the kids kidnapped as well?
really good write, some speeling mistakes, if you want i can point them out to you, would that help.
What sort of program have you got on your pc, mine has a spell checker, and i really could not do without it.

Hope you are well. Dawn

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rhine Wolf

10 Years Ago

thank you Dawn for your offer to proof read for me... i have been away for some time and really want.. read more



Reviews

"Janie! Will you calm down? The kids will be here any minute now! The place looks Grate! They are going to love it!"
I think you mean 'The place looks Great!'

Taking Janie into his arms. She fitted so well, as if over the years of holding her, her slender figure had made an indent. Just like on the mattress upstairs.
I love this part really is sweet..... blesss.....

An absoloutly brilliant start hun, i wonder were the kids kidnapped as well?
really good write, some speeling mistakes, if you want i can point them out to you, would that help.
What sort of program have you got on your pc, mine has a spell checker, and i really could not do without it.

Hope you are well. Dawn

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rhine Wolf

10 Years Ago

thank you Dawn for your offer to proof read for me... i have been away for some time and really want.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

296 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 15, 2008


Author

Rhine Wolf
Rhine Wolf

Johannesburg, Heathen, South Africa



About
Hi, my name is Fallon. I am a husband, a father, a brother to many, an uncle to a few and a son. I love to write poems and a story here and there. So check them out and please do give me feed back a.. more..

Writing