the REVIEW (our craft)

the REVIEW (our craft)

A Poem by Richard🖌
"

Quatrains in Iambic Pentameter

"


the REVIEW


Reviewing is an art few master well …
the ones who do, pass on our art intact,
inspiring 'long the way whom they might tell,
because they realize the cards are stacked.

For every poet reached in a review,
so many more are left upon the page,
complaining how their work was torn into;
such is the fodder of indignant rage.

So many verses I’ve critiqued when read,
on many more there’s never left a word.
Thus, passed on by, left as they were, instead,
for reasons some may think are quite absurd.

Shhh! Listen well, you might just understand:
I may say nothing if there’s too much wrong,
or if a poet feels they’re highly grand;
and, never when a writer is not strong.

When sensitivity controls the mind,
it cannot grasp a lesson that’s been shared;
nor, can it know reviews are not unkind;
critique was left because someone had cared.

Most share for praise and pats upon the back,
while fewer really wish for honesty.
They tout for help, not that their poems lack;
if told they do, give thanks with brevity.

See? That which makes reviewing so worthwhile,
are those rare few who never will abscond;
instead, take everything to heart and smile,
correct mistakes, then graciously respond.

Through issues all corrected they transcend,
form bonds with other poets 'long the way …
thus, learning well from those who comprehend;
these best will pass along our craft one day.

So, be prepared when those who light the path
hold high their lanterns bright that you might see;
inside your poets’ hearts resist all wrath …
one day your skills will know high mastery.



Richard W. Jenkins
© 2015


© 2018 Richard🖌


Author's Note

Richard🖌
During my earnest and sincere efforts to help my fellow-poets correct issues in their poetry and better their skills, seems my praise and encouraging comments somehow got missed or disregarded, and in result I've inadvertently raised the ire of a fine poet; thus, I thought it best to make my take on reviewing known, and to make it clear what my motives generally are when giving a review.

Constructive critique for my poetry is always welcome and preferred. ; )

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Un - be - lie - vable! This is exactly what I stand for! So many divas have blocked me because they didn't want to be told their work needs fixing up.....and I, too "say nothing if there's too much wrong." My friend, you are a poet in the flesh. You can definitely use some tweaking on some rather banal grammatical aspects, as well as when and where beats should land (one line in this one has "someone" landing on the wrong sylLAble....but that also might simply be dialectal). This is otherwise fantastic! True to form and message! Well freaking done! (also love the Mickey Holmes image).

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

Thank you for reading this piece … I really enjoyed the content and depth of your own poem, "Criti.. read more



Reviews

I want to thank you kind Sir, for your reviews. I'm honored and grateful for your time and understanding. Tina

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

As a teacher, it is my obligation to help any poetry friend who seeks and asks, Tina!
You are.. read more
Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Take a bit of time, please, to read the Villanelle at the URL below, as it is an important example o.. read more
Richard, I stumbled onto this from Chris's feed. I'm glad I did. Not only is this well written in a classical structure, but it also gives me a clear view of who you are as both writer and reviewer.
I also agree with your authors note and will update my profile. My original site was one that encouraged critique, not just comments. As it grew, others came in who didn't like the idea, but it was based on the fact that the better you are at critique, the better writer you will become. Eventually there was a menu that let the writer choose, what type of critique. Mine generally was set to "unbiased review" or "nitpick" At one point, I copied the twelve critique guidlines from there and posted into my authors notes here. It did improve what the type of comments I recieved.
I still have those who only leave a few short lines, and that is fine, too. But sometimes, you want more, when your questioning a point in your work. I generally consider my work here to be a fluid working copy.
After this, I am sure other like minded writers will find you.
JAN

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

7 Years Ago

What a marvelous review, Dear Jan!
I would have expected no less from such a skilled poetess .. read more
JayceeC

7 Years Ago

Your glowing accolades make me blush. I think the key to improvement it to surround yourself with p.. read more
Richard🖌

7 Years Ago

Jan,
That you consider me as such spreads a glowing smile across my world … thank you! ⁓ .. read more
chuckling here... so many peeps do have that tendency toward taking the short view when it's their thoughts' perceptions at risk. Seems theirs is often the only ...understanding and shade of mind that may grace an existence. And God forbid you make a public notice of an oversight - that means though you actually read the piece you paused on a bit of nothing and questioned the author's intent.

...and other fancy thoughts.



Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
This comment has been deleted by this poetry author.
This comment has been deleted by this poetry author.
I agree with you. I do take it to heart when critique is arrogant. However, I enjoy conversing with people like you, people who have so much to pass on.

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Ah, Braden!
You do so truly bless my humble effort to explain how and why I reach out to my f.. read more
Your review and kind critique was very helpful and I'm very grateful you took the time.
I plan to go back and edit to incorporate your suggestions. I typically save that for a rainy day though.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Cherry,
I love rainy days, when the sounds of outer life are softened and the only.. read more
Hello Richard,

Your writing sounds so very old, as Olde English perhaps. Very knightly sounding in fact.
I think I could enjoy the sound no matter what you said.
It sorta sounds like a healing lullaby to me. Oh so sweet familiar.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Goodness, Kate!
I am so very-very sorry, Dearest! Please, accept my apology; I've no idea how.. read more
There are poets who look for critiques in order to improve their craft and others who want to share and connect.

Then you have your silent poets who write for the sake of writing... I imagine they aren't looking for a response just a nod like I see you...

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

How insightfully correct you are, DD.
Which are you?
You see? How are we to know what .. read more
~Many times I've been shunned for my reviews when the writer was too sensitive to handle my opinions. I never do it as a 'know it all' but rather someone who sees what appear to be obvious flaws in the writing. Usually the writer doesn't pay attention to me which is fine. I just move on.

I think it is always good to learn from others we know are more experienced. It's helped me in the past with the way I write. Like you though, I don't always say anything.~

Posted 8 Years Ago


Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

You are so right, Relic,
We can put it out there, but it's up to the author to accept or reje.. read more
J. J.  Nightingale

8 Years Ago

Again Richard... at the bottom of the Writing section, there are boxes to check, if a Critique or ju.. read more
I love it, Richard. Maybe make a "Richard Was Here" calling card. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Matt.
Not a bad idea, but you know what most folk do with "calling cards" .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1854 Views
32 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 13, 2015
Last Updated on August 4, 2018

Author

Richard🖌
Richard🖌

Houston, TX



About
~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~·&.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Windy Windy

A Story by Samuel Dickens


He will be... He will be...

A Poem by Gee