Explaining to a Leaf (softly sad)

Explaining to a Leaf (softly sad)

A Poem by Richard🖌
"

Free Verse

"



Explaining to a Leaf

~ loneliness ~


Winds stalk me,

leaves tremble at my approach …

they are frightened

of the cold that follows.

In hushed, rustling whispers,

as I pass, they ask,

“Why is it you are not afraid?”


Un-answering, my feet march on,

trodding on their fallen brethren,

lovers, sisters, and friends ...

why bother with answers.


Would they understand?


How do you explain to a shivering leaf

that the cold can’t be as bad

as waking up tomorrow,

finding it’s become

as lonely today as every day

is going to be,


what it’s like

finding the same empty bed,

with the same lone hair

stretched out across your pillow;

a single-stranded ghost,

the constant reminder

that all too often,


hearts,

like seasons …

share a kinship of change?

© 2019 Richard🖌


Author's Note

Richard🖌
Picture. Compliments of Google images.

Please, feel free to offer constructive criticism and/or well-meant comments. : )

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Constructive criticism!? How could I possibly dare? This is a masterpiece. In my first read through this piece I was amazed at every turn. You strike me as a man that wouldn't appreciate pure fawning praise but I cannot come up with anything but praise. A master stroke of a true artist.

Posted 3 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Richard🖌

3 Years Ago

Thank you most gratefully, Syr TS 🌿

I can conceive of nothing more graciously humb.. read more



Reviews

A poetic gem of a read which allies the fate of a leaf with the lonely feel of an empty pillow - this catches the lament of one left alone and who laments the change as the withering leaf sighs for its fall from tree protection........... the picture adds too with its one-handed show of autumnal destiny. Thank you Richard for caring and sharing so tenderly the fate of one dying leaf.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

4 Years Ago

G'day, Lady Fay 🍂
I am so happy you've selected this rather poignant little Free Verse to .. read more
Your poem was refreshing, and great use of different font styles it really added to the theme. Though the poem's meaning was loneliness I couldn't help but feel happy while reading it perhaps because it was so artistically actualized. This poem definitely belongs in a book. Such talent.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

4 Years Ago

Hi, Franco,
Thank you for selecting one of my humble little pieces to read and comment on ….. read more
The title and the picture of the lone, slightly-withered leaf drew me in. I think it is difficult to explain loneliness to anyone, let alone someone from a separate species, phyllum and kingdom.
You impart a personality to the leaves, complete with a backstory of having lost their "fallen brethren,
lovers, sisters, and friends". They are familiar with loss, and with the winter which devours all, and yet can't fathom how the loss of a loved one would turn someone completely numb. I really loved the imagery of the single strand of hair stretching across the pillow. Just like the leaves, so many other inanimate things can remind us of our loneliness.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

4 Years Ago

A beautiful review, Dear Poetess_________ (I wish I knew your name).
Few, if any, grasp the t.. read more
title hooked me ...lots of meditative qualities to it ..great pic ..i see a respectful sensitivity in it ..love the unanswering feet ..marching on .. lonliness over time can bring such numbness we simply can't feel anything ... your theme runs throughout (who would expect anything less;) ... i think the best you saved for last .. the same lone hair ... a ghost strand ... whew! i feel the punch .. oh so lonely! ... and i like that your closing ties me to Mother Nature ... seasons .. come and go .. as will such loneliness in time ... a full course sir! now for some coffee ;)
E.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

4 Years Ago

It is a pleasure to share with you, My Friend.
There is nothing more rewarding than being app.. read more
Einstein Noodle

4 Years Ago

i should drink more tea ... its the truth .. my mother in law outlived her death by about 9 yrs. tre.. read more
wow !!!
yours is the first 'free verse' i could actually understand, 'cos each verse's lines relate to each other.
lovely flowing words, emotions & mental pictures. 👍

all other free verse poems i've read to date seem to be a collection of unrelated words in juxtaposition to each other which makes no sense to me.

cheerio carola

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

4 Years Ago

Ah, Carola! 🌸
How truly lovely you are!
And, what sweetly inspiring things to say t.. read more
Lonliness is the epic here and the contagion affecting so many as we live longer and as more folk reach the parting of ways. In this the descriptive of the path of the protagonist as he walks through the leaves and struggles with the philosophical issue of explaining such feelings to a mere piece of vegitation, is a lonesome march. The pathos is spread as the empty bed is laid before the reader like an open page. A sad but meaningful write.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

4 Years Ago

My most grateful thanks to you, My Friend, for gifting this poignant little Free Verse your deeply a.. read more
Thank you so much for inviting me to read this jewel. I feel butterflies in my heart, fluttering with joy. I mean it! So wonderful that I can't find the good words to tell you. I red it aloud, as I often do when a poem speaks to my spirit. The sound of the words is still echoing in the air, surrounding me with this ephemeral connection with you. Let's celebrate changes and welcome the newness of every season. Even when it brings solitude.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

4 Years Ago

Ah, Shandra
I am so very pleased you accepted my invitation. : )

By virtue of .. read more
Shandra Sun

4 Years Ago

I let you free to choose.
I've never been that big of a fan of poetry in the past but your poem is amazing! I loved every part of it and I hope you continue to do this because I can't wait to see what else you can do! :D

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

4 Years Ago

Dear Poetess,
I welcome you warmly.
To receive such disarming sentiments stirs a hopef.. read more
This piece held mysteries between each line. It's as if we are peeking at a flash of a moment in the speakers life. I LOVE that this tells a story. Crisp visions of autumn enter my mind as I thought of the scurrying leaves. Unfortunately, this tale of loneliness is one I'm very well versed. I understand the inner struggle the speaker is going through. The brisk winds hold no competition to the coldness of solitude. The fresh, daily reminders of being whole taunt memories and daydreams. I love how the second half of this piece was a tumultuous question. Almost rhetorical. I enjoyed this, Richard. Great read.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

4 Years Ago

Wonderful, Laurie 🍂
The touch of your words reveal so very much about the essence of your .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2235 Views
96 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 6 Libraries
Added on February 22, 2019
Last Updated on August 24, 2019

Author

Richard🖌
Richard🖌

Houston, TX



About
~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~·&.. more..

Writing
Pic Pic

A Poem by Richard🖌



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren