In This House of Worship

In This House of Worship

A Story by RileyRedding
"

One sexual reference, the rest should be pretty PG-13

"
I'm kneeling down on both of my folded legs, as a single candle illuminates hundreds of extinguished ones. In this graveyard of decorated flambeaux, my single lit candle looks a beacon of hope. Paraffin wax in sizes big and small, in every color of the rainbow, with more variation than a Google search for butt plugs.

 I speak out softly to no one, present: "Mother used to tell me I could talk to you about anything. How you'd never judge me here. Mom says she used to come speak with you too, but she doesn't need it anymore, she knows you're always in her heart."

 I take a slew of deep breaths, try to summon the courage to continue, and question how I've never actually been here before.

"Mom says you offer forgiveness, and that all I'll have to do is ask."

A sea of thick oils, electrolytes, and mucins trickle down my face, but I must continue.

"She says you'll offer forgiveness, and I want nothing more, but I can't ask, I don't deserve it."

Heavy precipitation flows down my eye sockets, my smeared makeup paints a picture on my face, that's not quite my own. I sit and cry for what can only seem like an eternity, to the living. I try to expel words from my mouth, try my best to purge my soul clean, reminding myself that I'm already here, that I might not get this chance again.

"I'm so very sorry. You would have always been the one who'd excel at this, always the one so very forgiving. But I suppose you have to be, when you're the golden child, and your little sisters such a f**k up."

I pause, but the crying is under control, the way only water impeded by a dam can be.

"I'm sorry we didn't spend more time together. Sorry it's you doing all the listening, you were always the most, interesting conversationalist. Mostly, I just want you to know how much I love you, how I'll always be proud of you, the way you were proud of me. I want you to believe me when I say that I'll spend the rest of my life, gratifyingly, trying to live up to your image."

I take another eternal second to gather my thoughts, to take a small bit of pride in finally getting everything out in the open, before blowing the flame out, on my single beacon of hope, and walk home into the night.

© 2015 RileyRedding


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Another well done write, Riley, I've had to train myself not to look for conventional aspects in your writings, as I know you like to look at an askew angle; and once more you delivered in expression and emotion making this an enjoyable read. A single moment in the flicker of light, captured for life, and never truly extinguished.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

RileyRedding

9 Years Ago

Thank you kindly, I appreciate your feedback.



Reviews

In some ways there isn't much difference between a church and a funeral parlor. Your transition was beautifully done. I am feeling a little forlorn and lonely now. I think I'll go light a candle.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I like this. Well written, flows well. Good showing the emotions. The last full paragraph makes me wonder who she is talking to, unless I missed it in the beginning.


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

RileyRedding

9 Years Ago

It's meant to sound as though she's speaking to god, and then reveal it's really a speech to her dea.. read more
I have to agree with Ana. This is something new and different out of you, Riley. I have to say this piece was jaw dropping. As I was reading, I was asking myself, "Is this Riley's work?" I did not detect any sarcasm, or humor whatsoever. You must have been in a mood as you were writing these words of grief. A lot of emotion behind this; these words don't come just like that. As always, I appreciate your work, Riley.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Afraa

9 Years Ago

So... this is the comment I get for my review, Riley? >.>
RileyRedding

9 Years Ago

Of course not Afraa.
Thanks for coming back, you were missed greatly.
As always thanks f.. read more
Afraa

9 Years Ago

Heh, anytime! :D
This is not quite what I was expecting, this isn't your usual sarcasm and satire with a healthy dose of salt on the open wounds. This was a very moving piece of writing. A younger sister losing an older sibling? Anyone who has lost someone knows this grief. The conversations with the person after they are gone. The need to make amends. The need for peace and forgiveness. Because without it we cannot move on.
You've captured this very well. Almost as though you know... Good job Riley, very good job.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

RileyRedding

9 Years Ago

I know a bit about loss.
My goal was just to take a friend up on a challenge, he wanted me to .. read more
Matching Socks

9 Years Ago

You took what you know and applied it very well. Standing O.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
You have a talent of producing vivid imagery with words. Keep it up!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

RileyRedding

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much!
you have painted vivld colors here you have a great imigination

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

RileyRedding

9 Years Ago

Much appreciated!
 wordman

9 Years Ago

you are welcome
Another well done write, Riley, I've had to train myself not to look for conventional aspects in your writings, as I know you like to look at an askew angle; and once more you delivered in expression and emotion making this an enjoyable read. A single moment in the flicker of light, captured for life, and never truly extinguished.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

RileyRedding

9 Years Ago

Thank you kindly, I appreciate your feedback.
Wow, you have done it again. Riley, you have this uncanny ability to paint such a vividness to any situation. I feel for this girl who I know nothing about and I understand the signs of grief well and so do you. This feels like an excerpt from someone on the bestsellers list. I am amazed at the few reviews. Some people probably need more time to digest this. I have just recommended your work to my mother and I know ?I have done the right thing. Your voice must be heard.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

RileyRedding

9 Years Ago

The highest of praise, thank you so much!
Danielle E Lynn

9 Years Ago

You earned it. You have talent.
Ah one beautiful story! and sad too really makes you realize the situation around the world you know
This is a great story, I love this!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really like this, Riley! I know that you don't approve of me reading your work because I'm really young, but it's too tempting. Hahaha xD

Besides, I love your writing and I love being your friend, so who cares! :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cool Girl

9 Years Ago

I bet you got coal... xD
RileyRedding

9 Years Ago

Only so I could start, pressing, and selling diamonds!
Cool Girl

9 Years Ago

You naughty boy xD

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1277 Views
30 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on January 18, 2015
Last Updated on January 19, 2015

Author

RileyRedding
RileyRedding

Portland, OR



About
Hello, My name is Riley Redding. I'm a twenty-three year old hailing from the Great Pacific Northwest. I'm the author of several works of transgressive fiction. I write in a minimalistic style of sati.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


breakdown breakdown

A Poem by ANTO


Lizardo Lizardo

A Poem by Cool Girl