Whom are the Sparrows, Canaries?

Whom are the Sparrows, Canaries?

A Poem by Ripple of Aqua
"

Why does the world think that writing is nothing but scribbles wasting paper? Don't they know that it's thanks to writing we have a past, a future, and will forever stay?

"
Writers are sparrows.
Not normally liked;
Forced to find our own sky with our minds,
With the world only tolerating our unique feathers.
Why must we conform?
Be blocked in,
Shielded by Your nods of approval.
How dare You?!
Are we not all artists?
Sparrows set to fly?
We mold the world;
Change the cold air to strolling clouds of pink,
Make the creek speak words of calm sweetness.
Sparrows speak to the world
Not bend to it!
It makes no sense.
We, free spirited people, wish to fly!
And yet, people would rather hear us twiddle and tweet at their will;
Wings only made of thin yellow,
Feathers of tales to tell nothing at all;
People that call themselves birds, are only pets;
Things with wings, yet are pleased to be looked down upon.
Who sit upon their swing, and eat seed from Your palms.
Birds aren't meant to be captured,
Skies built so high,
Wind so fierce,
We are meant to be free!
I refuse to be a canary!
My wings may be made of brown and black,
My brothers and sisters may too have them,
But at least we all have our own song,
And are able to share our eternal freedom in the sky.
I pity the canary;
They who, with none to watch them,
Become lost, frightened, and panicked things,
So easily to cry out, helpless.
And You hold out Your hands,
A welcoming gesture.
But I see your fingers as cages;
Your skin a barrier;
Your bones a ball of led.

I cannot do more than cry out to You
And fly as far as I can.
My answer is simple;
Never.

© 2012 Ripple of Aqua


Author's Note

Ripple of Aqua
It's terrible these days that people think that writing is nothing more than silly words scribbled onto flimsy paper. Words are a BEING, not worthless garble you hear on the streets! And so when people ask me on why I don't like to rhyme, or why I don't like many of the rhyming poems I see, it is because not only is it a cage to hold a writer back, to me, it's also a sanctuary for the people too innocent to understand what it means to write! Rhyming is thought to be what separates a journal from a poem. People, who don't know about writing, are asked to make a poem, it always rhymes, always. They are what I call canary; nice to listen to, with a flashy coat, but with no purpose to truly say how they feel, because they want to be approved by a world that thinks so stereotypically. But writing... it is so much more than that.
So I ask of you, my fellow writers this: Are you a sparrow, or a canary?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Sparrow, all the way. I love everything you did with this. The pictures, the colors, the bold, the underlines, the italics, the words, the message, the title...it all just amazed me and gave me something new to think about. Everything you did with this poem shows how strongly you feel about this, and just looking at it as a whole you can see that writing is much more than just words, and you believe that without a doubt.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Sparrow, all the way. I love everything you did with this. The pictures, the colors, the bold, the underlines, the italics, the words, the message, the title...it all just amazed me and gave me something new to think about. Everything you did with this poem shows how strongly you feel about this, and just looking at it as a whole you can see that writing is much more than just words, and you believe that without a doubt.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You did a good job with this. You seemed to use a lot o imagination in it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I agree with below comments, this is very creative. At times I feel you got lost between your metaphor and your poetry - as in, you lost touch with your tone, sounding more explanatory than 'revealing'. But that's not a bad thing - just an observation.

Forced to find our own sky with our minds, - I really liked that. And your final lines, particularly your simile about hands as cages was really very nice. Interesting, intelligent, if a little unpolished. But then maybe to go at it with a cropping knife would be contradictory to its message, I think it stands as a good landmark piece which you can move on from. All good things to come, stay with the depth and the elaborate images you've held here.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very creative, Ripple. As I think I've mentioned to you, poetry isn't my thing, though I've tried my hand at it a couple of times. The message seems a bit heavy at times, but that's just a matter of taste. It was expressed vividly and cogently. Good, good.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I loved this you did a great job. I want to be a sparrow and be able to fly anywhere i want. besides if we didn't have writers or writing we wouldn't have this work or any others. great job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 17, 2012
Last Updated on May 20, 2012
Tags: artists, blocked, inside, birds, cage, spirit

Author

Ripple of Aqua
Ripple of Aqua

No Where In Praticular..., MO



About
I like to write, a lot, and I normally have been writing books more than poetry, but I believe my stories are just far too precious to put up. I love all form of arts-fine arts, creative writing, mu.. more..

Writing