Measured Moments

Measured Moments

A Poem by Rita L. Sev
"

...

"

Moments measured


in tolled hours

          and half-pasts

 

Revealing the dignity

of old-world hands

 

Silent now,

still...


reminding me

of the time

© 2014 Rita L. Sev


Author's Note

Rita L. Sev
I have an old mantle clock that was made by my great-uncle which sat in my grandmother's hall for decades. It no longer keeps time... but it holds it just the same.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, short and meaningful. The clocks old hands remind of us of our own. Every now and then we look down to find a different skin, a different time.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

So true... Thank you for this thoughtful review, Kenaz.
i like the double meaning of "old world hands"

the clock's hands, but also the ancient's hands---those that molded society in the old days...

and those clock hands often remind me of the time that has slipped away---

hopefully i have made the numbers mean something...

wow, i like this poem...a bit abstract in some sense, made me go places.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

"Old world hands" was actually the first thought that led to this poem... Thank you so much, Jacob.
I like your explanation. Some things hold memories that are frozen in time.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thank you, KL!
clever irony... this is one of those nostalgic, "feel good" pieces.. it is funny how things can hold little snippets of time.. memories.. our senses can stimulate those times long forgotten.. a song.. a scent.. an object.. what I love about your work is that you make me think, yet feel at the same time, but doing each subtly and beautifully.. the creative way you had the title (love the alliteration by the way) blend with the initial layer and the deeper emotion was brilliant.. kind of like life if you look at it that way.. over time we evolve, our roles change.. that clock no longer functions as a means to know what time it is in the present, but it holds those precious, treasured moments in time that sometimes are more important than the initial role.. awesome work as usual.. I really enjoyed:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Wow - thank you so much for your insights, April! I appreciate the thought you put into your reviews.. read more
AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

you are more than welcome girl.. it is always a pleasure to read your work.. :)
Reminding me of the time. That's a nice way to end it. There is a craftmanship to making a clock that most grandfather and mantle clock owners appreciate. I like the verses you've chosen. Just think of all the events that took place while it clicked away. If only we could open it up somehow and see them all. Great poem.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Tim. Wow - yes, if only we could... I hear that clock often in memories, moments both jo.. read more
Relic

9 Years Ago

haha, I was thinking along a twilight zone type poem myself. However, TZ did one about a radio in th.. read more
It is wonderful to have such a clock that connects to your family's past. The clock and the poem are bridges to those who came before.

Revealing the dignity
of old-world hands

Those lines are fraught with beauty.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Blue.

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1310 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 7, 2014
Last Updated on November 7, 2014

Author

Rita L. Sev
Rita L. Sev

Philadelphia, PA



About
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE "FRIENDING" ME: I am happy to be sharing my poems (and occasional stories) and thrilled to be reading fellow authors. About Friend Requests - It is wise to READ some of .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aware Aware

A Poem by Sami Khalil