IT

IT

A Poem by Rita L. Sev
"

...

"

She played a game of hide and seek,

donned best friend masks

and took a peek,

found the soft spots at my core,

used me up

then sought no more

wary now,

I will not count ~

the game too grueling to surmount. 

© 2015 Rita L. Sev


Author's Note

Rita L. Sev
Just reminiscing, and finding an old hurt...

captcha: offense

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

one of the ugliest lessons we learn.. your poem captures it well ) :

Posted 8 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Renee - It's one of those lessons we only learn by living it...
I feel impolite receiving reviews from you and not returning the favor...so I'm glad this is the first one that I picked. I think it speaks to most people who've been in a relationship of some kind, and are tired of playing the game you speak of. Excellent poem. Anyone could relate to it. At least that's what I got out of it. Will strain my bad eyes some more to read your stuff lol.

-Brian

Posted 8 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

8 Years Ago

Glad you stopped by, Brian - believe me, I understand the eyes issue well! Glad you enjoyed this. T.. read more
Friends my a come and friends my go as they say. Some are more work than is worth the effort as your piece to me suggest. We have to know when to move on so we are not damaged beyond repair. Very nicely penned.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

8 Years Ago

And we only learn those lessons when faced with such "friends"... Thank you, Willard.
Simple but effectively written. The recollection in perfect rhyme, great flow, nicelydone.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

8 Years Ago

Thank you, DedPoet!
This poem is very easy to relate with, but you made it so much more impactful, meaningful, and emotional than simply "relatable." I have had many people in my life like those you described here and they truly are hurtful. Fortunately, I feel as though there is something to learn from individuals who hide their true selves and use you for their own good, while pretending to be your friend. For me, it just made me even more comfortable with the idea that I don't need anyone in my life that is going to treat me poorly. You don't need anyone like that either!
Thank you for sharing this poem, it's so great to see someone take a relatable, everyday subject and make it something extraordinary through writing. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Alexis! Yes, we learn from these people in our lives, and we are made stronger.
Yeah, it does hurt being left behind by 'friends' and even more when you realize they never WERE a friend after all.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

8 Years Ago

Indeed... yet so much wiser we grow...
You gave life to the photo with strong description. We do use and abuse people. Willingly or not. Easy to be cold. The poem left me with thoughts to ponder. Thank you Rita for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

8 Years Ago

"Easy to be cold" - unfortunately, I think this is true. For some people, it is a means for survival.. read more
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You are welcome Rita.
"Donned best friend masks" powerful line. People hide who they really are all the time. Wonderfully expressed so sorry this was felt by experience.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Robin. Yes, those masks really get me - I was taught to be trusting. Well, experience rea.. read more
Hi Rita , I imagine this would be cathartic at least even if painful and a gentle reminder that if it wallks like a duck and it quacks like a duck its probably a pheasant these days.
I hope you're enjoying the school hols my friend.
:)))

great captcha

Posted 8 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

8 Years Ago

Thanks, Anto. This one came out of nowhere, as I was reminiscing about some old friends - and then t.. read more
ANTO

8 Years Ago

your welcome rita - always
Is it an interesting topic - the new course ?
ANTO

8 Years Ago

**you're welcome - lol
Some people are like that. It pays to be wary. That's why I don't let myself get to close to anyone...

Posted 8 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

8 Years Ago

I have learned to be careful, but I still like people... I must be crazy - or still too young at hea.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1422 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 19, 2015
Last Updated on June 19, 2015

Author

Rita L. Sev
Rita L. Sev

Philadelphia, PA



About
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE "FRIENDING" ME: I am happy to be sharing my poems (and occasional stories) and thrilled to be reading fellow authors. About Friend Requests - It is wise to READ some of .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..