THIRD WORLD WOMAN

THIRD WORLD WOMAN

A Poem by Robert Strzalko
"

A selection from The Sun Loves Every Planet

"

 

 

 

War

 

 

 

Poverty

 

 

 

Famine

 

 

 

Disease

 

 

 

Pollution

 

 

 

Deforestation

 

 

 

Overpopulation

 

 


Children sick with hunger

Famished

They lay in waste

Distended bellies

Lifeless eyes

 

Millions live this life

Every day

If you can call it that

It’s more of a living death

That comes too slow

To a world that doesn’t care

It’s too preoccupied

Too easily offended

 

A child died today

Others will die tomorrow

Even the dirty water

In the village

Is drying up from draught

 

This is the world we live in

A world

Where politicians meet

And talk at international summits

As they dine and sleep

In luxurious comfort

The ice is melting

The seasons are changing

Animals

Insects

Fish and plants

Are disappearing

Becoming extinct

 

Sometimes

It seems as though

The world is dying

A long slow death

From centuries of war

And conquest of whatever

Seemed important at the moment

 

When they are through talking

And have solved nothing

More people will die

More ice will melt

More animals

Will become extinct

 

Where do we go from here?

When there is no clean air

Left to breathe

When there is no clean water

Left to drink

When there are no riches

Left to exploit

Will we hear their cries then?

© 2018 Robert Strzalko


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is an immensely important post! Like lots of other writers i focus on the sweet and lovely, gentle and romantic, knowing darned well these horrors go on every second of the day. I like others help with charity events, pop money in little envelopes or collective tins. BUT, big BUT, there's so much achieved by speaking up, by acting, by actually doing things. So many countries in our world are disgustingly backward in their attitudes to women, professing that their way has always been the same, but same doesnt mean better, it means perpetual persecution for the physically weaker sex, for helpless children who dont know what the word childhood means.

Your writing brings more than words to the near evil situation, it's actual iintention is to reach out, to alert complacency and governments who apparently dont care.

I rant. sorry.

P.S. fine writing by the way.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
liz
we are all already crying a different cry
we are already hungry of a different hunger
there's no salvation on Earth, nor for the Earth
we went too far for our legs
we stayed too close seeking for something that is not here

Posted 8 Years Ago


They will be focused on their own cries before they jump out windows, gas themselves, poison down the hatch.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Really special piece here, well done an absolute pleasure to read your thoughts

Posted 9 Years Ago


Very deep and well thought out write here

Posted 9 Years Ago


Reality just slapped me in the face again, and it hurt.
We take for granted simple everyday things, until we're reminded of how lucky we are.
Very well done, hits hard.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I could relate to your poem very well. Like the raw-emotion in it. Very nicely done!

Posted 9 Years Ago


It seems as though the world is dying, though it has always been dying for humans are manacled to a life of making choices, and it is this life that is killing them along with the world they are struggling to survive in minute by minute.

How does one weigh the importance of a certain right or interest to keep the balance? What is important to one man may not seem important to another, hence this creates a conflict of power. And it is always the powerful ones who get to dictate the type of choices to mold the world. Thus money, religion, politics, technology and secrets, and the people affiliated with all these concepts, are seen as evil due to the strong influence they have on people's choices.

Of course, the right to choice is inherent in all of us… but how many are aware of their rights? How many are aware of the extent they can exercise their own rights without sacrificing the rights of others? Most importantly, how many are willing to fight for the onset of people’s awareness?

Excellently thought-provoking work that focuses on human rights and environmental issues.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is an immensely important post! Like lots of other writers i focus on the sweet and lovely, gentle and romantic, knowing darned well these horrors go on every second of the day. I like others help with charity events, pop money in little envelopes or collective tins. BUT, big BUT, there's so much achieved by speaking up, by acting, by actually doing things. So many countries in our world are disgustingly backward in their attitudes to women, professing that their way has always been the same, but same doesnt mean better, it means perpetual persecution for the physically weaker sex, for helpless children who dont know what the word childhood means.

Your writing brings more than words to the near evil situation, it's actual iintention is to reach out, to alert complacency and governments who apparently dont care.

I rant. sorry.

P.S. fine writing by the way.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

well... dead children everyday is what kill our emotions, where yo see a picture of a young child crying and asking for water, a cup of water ,and at the same time he asks for it,those politicians are there swimming in gold, and not even caring about those cries ..naked cold bodies under the snow... finding no one to care about them,because they are POOR...and so what?? we are not even here to be all rich..

Well..let me just tell you about one thing i saw that day on my way to coledge, i saw that young poor child, it was so cold early at morning, he was wearing a ripped t-shirt, and selling tissues in the street, his lips were purple :( .. it was so sad.and at the same day, that minster in the government was traveling .. i mean why are you in the government ? isnt that because you have to at least provide shelter ???? or that woman who was religious then was rapped and forced BY HER HUSBAND to be a prostitute inorder to get him money...and that young girl whom is FORCED TO GET MARRIED before she is 12 years old, because is so poor..

im sorry for that long talk..but that is something which no one listens to ,or take in consideration..
i loved your writing..it is worth talking about ...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You write about things worth mentioning in a clear voice that shows your concern. You are not alone in your thoughts. Politicians will always seek comfort for themselves first before peeking out the window of reality at what's going on. It shouldn't be issues that are held up over red tape or the turning away of eyes. This is well written which is not a surprise being you are a published writer. Good poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

20185 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 10, 2013
Last Updated on August 21, 2018
Tags: Robert Strzalko

Author

Robert Strzalko
Robert Strzalko

Loves Park, IL



About
Hi. I'm the author of A BULLET FOR TWO, THE COLOR OF DREAMS and THE SUN LOVES EVERY PLANET. A BULLET FOR TWO won a NABE Pinnacle Book Achievement Award in the Western Category Fall 2011. THE SUN LOVES.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Bear Bear

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Solo... Solo...

A Poem by redflutterby