The Mermaid - Poem & Short Story

The Mermaid - Poem & Short Story

A Poem by Roderick Blakeman
"

Romance

"
The Mermaid (Part One)

The evening was cool
and the sky was so clear
while ripples of waves
were all I could hear

The moon shone bright
and stars twinkled on high
when from out of nowhere
came so seductive a sigh

I looked out to sea
to whence the sound came
and my eyes did believe
they were playing a game

For as waves lapped around
a rock out at sea
a beautiful vision
was sat staring at me

Naked as love
she sat all alone
on that rising edifice
of black granite stone

Her body so wondrous
that I shook with such lust
but a smile so pure
that my thoughts were unjust

Her hair was entangled
with kelp luscious green
that protected her modesty
oh what a scene

It hung down over breasts
so excitingly full
covering the parts
that are made to enthral

My mind quickly taken
by this girl of my dreams
though as I looked closer
all was not as it seems

For legs this beauty
was completely bereft
and a long fishy tail
was all she had left

Then with a smile
that made my heart still
she slipped into the water
and I saw she was real

For she dived like a dolphin
under azure sea
and all that was left
were the ripples and me



The End........or is it?



The Mermaid (Part Two)

The man with the tear soaked eyes walked along the beach for the thousandth time. 

His hands were shaking and his lips quivering in the cold as he constantly looked out to sea, where was she, would she ever return, would she mend his broken heart.

He had but caught a fleeting glimpse of this beauty as she preened herself on that ancient granite rock, and a glimpse was all it had taken as he was now completely besotted by this angel from the deep.

Even now, weeks after the event he could still see every tiny detail of his wondrous vision. 

The sparkling blue eyes that outshone the sun, and the kelp entangled hair that glistened with the reflection from the moon. Her heaving breasts that had caused the man in him to want her body for his own sexual pleasures, and that oh so innocent smile that had replaced the pure animal lust within him with a more protective desire to take her in his arms and cherish her.

He had not kept her appearance a secret, he had told everyone he had met, and he had talked and talked and talked. 

He wanted to tell everyone about his dream girl, his mermaid from the deep, his beautiful fish tailed siren. 

But would they listen to him? The answer was no, a resounding no! 

He was laughed at, ridiculed, pointed at and made out to be the village idiot, and all just because he wanted to share what he had seen. 

But he didn't care, he would see her again, he knew he would see her again, he had to see her again. Otherwise, well otherwise he would go crazy.

Another tear ran down his face as he once again looked at the vacant rock where his angel had once sat. 

He realised that maybe they were right, maybe he was mad, just a demented old fool, someone that had let his dreams overtake reality. 

His heart wrenched tear fell to the sand and along with his hopes and dreams soaked into nothingness.

He turned away and looked no more. 

He must preserve his sanity at all costs. 

So he walked away and returned to the boredom of his sad uneventful life.

This meant that he was not there an hour later when a ripple formed in the water, as a dream like beauty pulled herself from the sea and perched on her favourite granite rock. 

She looked around, but he was not there. 

Maybe it was her imagination but she was sure she had seen love in his eyes.

Maybe if she waited he would return.

But no she thought to herself, she was being foolish. 

She slipped off the rock once more and plunged deep into the dark forbidding sea, back to reality she told herself, back in the water where nobody could see her tears.

The End

© 2014 Roderick Blakeman


Author's Note

Roderick Blakeman
Please leave a comment

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

a really beautiful sentimental poem followed by a sad romantic story. a small part of me (the romantic one) whished it had a they-lived-happily-ever-after sort of ending. the other part that likes twists and unexpected endings loved it.
I enjoyed the read.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
1 Review
Added on May 22, 2014
Last Updated on June 7, 2014
Tags: romantic, love, mermaid, sea, sad, beauty

Author

Roderick Blakeman
Roderick Blakeman

Brighton, East Sussex, United Kingdom



About
I have lived a reasonably full life taking in a bit of travel and a few different occupations. I have always loved writing but tend to do it in phases. If you like any of my poetry or short st.. more..

Writing