The Importance of Being Important

The Importance of Being Important

A Poem by Rogue
"

Loose thoughts that needed a home

"
text:
"Hi, mom."
"Hello, son."
"You are still picking me up from the airport, right?"
"Of course. Still getting in at 7:00?"
"Yep."
"Good. We can stop and have a nice dinner on the way home. Oh, I also need to grab a few things from the store afterward for the party on Thursday."
"I'm sure it will be awesome."
"I also managed to get tickets for Friday (I am not telling you to what). A surprise."
"Mom?"
"Yes."
"I am only going to be there one day."
"You're flying in for just a day?"
"No. I will be in town for five days. I am going to go spend a couple with Dad and then I also have plans with Mike and some of the guys."
"Oh."
"Mom? Is that okay?"
"Sure. It is fine."
"Awesome."

phone:
"Hello there, pretty lady."
"Hey, you."
"Just calling to see how your day is going."
"Very good. I have managed to get some last minute cleaning done, along with a few things I forgot to pack."
"(silence)"
"I can't wait until you get here. I'm more than a bit excited about getting away together."
"About that.."
"Yes?"
"Some things have come up at work and I really don't think this is the best time to get away."
"But we have everything planned."
"I know and I am sorry. Besides, I spoke to my kids this morning and they really want me here on Christmas."
"Oh. We discussed that before didn't we?"
"Yes. It was just different hearing it come from their own mouths is all."
"I understand. We can just find things to do here then."
"I think I might be too busy right now."
"Too busy?"
"Well, Julie and I discussed it and decided I should just stay with them for now."
"You are staying with your ex wife?"
"It's just a trial period. To see if maybe we can work things out."
"Oh."
"I'm sorry."
"Yeah, me too."

email
"Hey! I thought I would drop you a quick note while I had some time at work.
You know James that guy I met? We've been going out off and on for about a month now. I don't know.. I think this may just end up being 'the one'.
So he is driving up to see his family in Indiana for a few days and asked me to come along. I said I'd go.
This means our weekend shopping trip to Houston is off. Sorry. I know this is all rather spur of the moment. Another time?
Thanks. You're a doll. Oh and wish me luck! I am so nervous about meeting his mother!"


Life has become a bit like going through the daily mail
Two stacks.
Priority and I'll get to it eventually.
I have become the second stack.

It does not matter how much time, effort or care went into the making of any piece in that second stack.
It is not on today's agenda.

Just a mere shadow of a thought.
Looming in the background.
"I'll get to it some day."

So it waits.
Just where you left it.
For it's time to come.
To be important.


© 2012 Rogue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

You are an absolute Master of creating a perspective ! And if you read my "page" you will see where I note that is what I put considerable weight to in life's situation. Being a geographically distant father of adult children, etc. what you write of speaks directly to me. I am further, and further in gratitude of finding you and your writings. Thank you for sharing your skill. You are quickly becoming my very favorite author on this site !!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow. I am speechless.... This is so good. From the text, to the phone, to the email... a cascade of emotions, longing feelings felt over great distance. A close distance, light years away distance. To be important... to be close. You are a master storyteller... :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Rogue

11 Years Ago

Thank you, JP. :)
Let's just say Christmas this year refused to stay in the nice, shiny box I .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 28, 2012
Last Updated on December 30, 2012

Author

Rogue
Rogue

About
What can I say? I enjoy writing. Although I dabble in several different genres, I eventually end up back in the realm of Horror. Both pointing out the every day disguised "Monsters" among us and cre.. more..

Writing
Chapter one Chapter one

A Chapter by Rogue


Chapter two Chapter two

A Chapter by Rogue


Chapter three Chapter three

A Chapter by Rogue



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Reflection Reflection

A Poem by Rogue


Signs Signs

A Poem by Rogue