Barbie Doll

Barbie Doll

A Story by Rogue
"

A true story.

"
She walked down the sidewalk with a spring in her step on a Saturday afternoon. She was going to a Party and all by herself too! No parents this time. She was five years old after all and not a baby anymore.
She cradled the present carefully in her arms. A brightly wrapped package her mother had picked out and given her to take. She herself wasn't sure what it was.
There were balloons and streamers all about in the party yard and she made her way to the girl that was the cause for all this celebration. Proudly she handed her the present. The girl stood there holding it for a few minutes until her mother came along and scooped it up to place on a table with the other gifts.
It was soon forgotten in the distraction of races in a bag where you tried to hop and a pretty pony that hung from a tree, you were supposed to hit with a stick. She didn't play that one. Who hit pony's anyway? Boys, of course! Boys would hit anything with a stick! She asked one named Kenny what the words on the big banners said. "Happy Birthday, Veronica" he told her. While she ate her hotdog, she daydreamed about having signs with her name on them at her next birthday.
After cake and ice cream it was time for Veronica to open her presents. She was excited and wanted to see what she had given her. It was her first big girl present and she had brought it down the street herself. Serious business was this.
When Veronica got to her gift, she held her breath as she watched her rip into the paper. Oh! It was a doll! Long brown hair and big brown eyes. She hoped upon seeing it, that maybe her mother had bought her one too.
She watched in shock as Veronica callously tossed it on the ground. Her eyes began to water and her bottom lip trembled as she fought to keep from crying. If she cried, she'd look like a baby. She waited while Veronica opened the rest of her presents. One eye on the poor discarded doll in the grass.
When Veronica had finished, she had marched right up and asked her why she did it. Veronica pointed to the five bathing suit clad, blondes in boxes on the table and said that the doll she gave her was nothing but a cheap Barbie knock-off. Her five year old mind could not quite comprehend the meaning of this. But, Veronica was eight now and obviously she knew something about it.
She went quietly back to her seat. Off and on she took peeks at the unwanted doll on the ground.
They were playing tag now. All off on the other side of the yard. She got up and walked to the spot the doll lay. Gently she picked her up and brushed the hair out of her face and hugged her to her chest. She was beautiful. What was so wrong with it? Without a word, she left the yard and went back home.
It wasn't too much later that her mother came all no nonsense into her room. Clearly she was upset. It seems Veronica's mother had called and said she had stolen the doll she had given Veronica.
She tried to explain that Veronica hadn't even liked it and threw it in the yard. She didn't think Veronica would even care it was gone.
It all fell on deaf ears. Her mother was ashamed. You can't take back gifts! That was stealing! And now the whole neighborhood thought her daughter was a thief!
She made her take it back. March right down there and hand it back to her. She went along with her to make sure too!
Veronica accepted the doll back all sweetly in front of adults and stared daggers at her the whole time.
She cried all the walk back home and as she climbed into bed. She unknowingly had become familiar for the first time with guilt. Oh, not for taking the doll, as her mother would have it. No, it was for having to take it back to a girl who would never love it.
She never played with Veronica again after that. Nor did she ever know what became of the beautiful un-Barbie doll.

© 2013 Rogue


Author's Note

Rogue
My first experience with guilt that I have memory of.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Beauty is in the heart of the beholder until others tell us what is and what is not beautiful. The pain of childhood experience lasts a long long time, as this, you tell us, has. Often. It is universal. And you have fulfilled one task of the writer, to convey the pain and help the reader feel it. I felt it. You can write as sensitively as you feel.
Atb
Alex.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rogue

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your thoughts here. I truly appreciate you taking the time to read this. :)



Reviews

First off, I love the story. It completely sucked me in, and I seriously relate to it (I think most of us bookworms probably do ;-D). I even felt a hint of vicarious chagrin at the end there, which is a sure sign of a great story. Plus, I think it really embodies the fear that more-and-more people feel in terms of the modern state of our world (particularly in developed/developing nations). I think you paint a perfect picture of the exact kind of attitude we are instilling in our children, one where waste is encouraged and everything is a fad.

I did wish there was a bit more detail. This is actually a lesson I'm still learning personally, that being the simple fact that enough detail always feels like too much detail when you're in the process of writing it. I feel like the tempo of this story is a bit fast, like it could be slowed down a bit with more description of what's going on both externally and internally with regards to... well 5-year-old you. ;-D Because you actually lived this, I'm confident that you know even more detail about the subtle nuances about what was really going through your mind at the time, and that's exactly what I would love to read about.

I also wanted to mention this: "It seems Veronica's mother..." Here you've briefly switched from past to present tense.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rogue

10 Years Ago

Hi. I thank you for stopping here and your thoughts. There is a Part 2 to this as well. I mention on.. read more
Arutha

10 Years Ago

Oh, well my apologizes and I will definitely comb through what you've got! ;-D
This is a very nice write Rogue, a sad story that most of us can relate to. I remember giving my friend a gift for his 11th birthday or so and he thought it was too childish for him. Thank you for sharing :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rogue

10 Years Ago

Pollai, thank you. Kids can be thoughtless and quite insensitive at times. I appreciate you reading... read more
wow. Anyone who says children are innocent does not remember being one and or has never had the pleasure and horror of raising one or several. Especially girls. Boys are terrors. They smell funny. They destroy things. They beat the crap out of each other. But girls. Girls go for the soul. The soft squishy center. This brought back so much to my memory of cruelty at the hands of "friends"
Such a powerful write. And you stayed true to the "young voice"

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rogue

10 Years Ago

The difference just a few years can make in the mindset of a little girl... Before superficiality is.. read more
wow! interesting as the topic which actually pulled me towards this story and surprised me completely :)
great work :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rogue

10 Years Ago

Thank you. I appreciate you reading and your kind words here. :)
Oops. Should read Often it is universal. Apologies.
Alex.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Beauty is in the heart of the beholder until others tell us what is and what is not beautiful. The pain of childhood experience lasts a long long time, as this, you tell us, has. Often. It is universal. And you have fulfilled one task of the writer, to convey the pain and help the reader feel it. I felt it. You can write as sensitively as you feel.
Atb
Alex.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rogue

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your thoughts here. I truly appreciate you taking the time to read this. :)
My first reaction to this story is to be as frustrated as little Rogue was, at the callous treatment of the "label-less" doll. There are many lessons to be learned here! You told this story so well, I could feel that guilt - and the real reason for it. I hope your dolls knew they were lucky to have you! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rogue

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Rita. :)
I am not sure what brought this memory back up from the depths. But, as I .. read more
"She went quietly back to her seat. Off and on she took peeks at the unwanted doll on the ground." I could feel the anxiety, I've been there as a child. Didn't have a whole lot coming up, sometimes you envy others not for what they have, but for their lack of appreciation of what they have. Well done... this was a delightful story that concluded with great depth.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rogue

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Travis. :)
Childhood innocence.. The things we feel are precious through those unta.. read more
Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)

10 Years Ago

Yes, I envy those eyes I saw the world through for such a brief time.
That really sucks. Gift-giving can often be a risky business, even for adults, so there's just no way a five year old is going to come through such a thing unscathed. Seeing the pain it caused, I wish your mother had gone out immediately and bought you the identical doll. One thing-- I got a little confused sorting out the various "she's" you used. Giving yourself a name would clear that up, I think.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rogue

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Sam.
And I understand about a name here, but calling a five year old me "Rogue" se.. read more
This is a story about more than a little girl and her dolly present. This is something we could all learn from. Adults and children. Remarkable.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rogue

10 Years Ago

I did too. Not in my parents treatment of me, but in each other. Dishes flying, plates full of food .. read more
Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

That is exactly right. We did not know better. It was what it was. I've just sent you a message and .. read more
Rogue

10 Years Ago

I got it and answered. You know I am happy to read whatever you have. You could write "My dog has fl.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

332 Views
10 Reviews
Added on June 27, 2013
Last Updated on June 30, 2013

Author

Rogue
Rogue

About
What can I say? I enjoy writing. Although I dabble in several different genres, I eventually end up back in the realm of Horror. Both pointing out the every day disguised "Monsters" among us and cre.. more..

Writing
Chapter one Chapter one

A Chapter by Rogue


Chapter two Chapter two

A Chapter by Rogue


Chapter three Chapter three

A Chapter by Rogue



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Shelter Shelter

A Poem by Rogue