The Earned Affection of Cats

The Earned Affection of Cats

A Poem by RomaineCoppola
"

This is a concept that came about this morning while my roommate's cat gave me the stink-eye.

"

Will I ever stay my path

For the earned affection of cats?

Or am I fated to scratch their backs in alleys

‘Till interest comes extinguished?


Perhaps my old threads,

They doomed me to expect 

A cat can lay content in bed

To love just once and then ignore.


But, Reader, cats use me too!

For I know it to be true

That the pleasure of my hand,

Makes my malice fair to stand. 


How dare a cat expect

That every pet leads to connection?

Despite the pillow talk,

Do not mistake that for affection. 


I’m in-touch with their emotions,

But more akin to a zoo.

I’m a toddler tapping on the glass,

Entirely removed.


Will there ever come a day

Where ego manifests a heart?


I’ve been a dog my whole damn life...

To be a man; when will I start? 

© 2018 RomaineCoppola


Author's Note

RomaineCoppola
(this is not a poem for furries - or about cats at all - just to be clear)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

You look into the eyes of a cat, observe that unblinking stare and you know we are there only to serve their whim. It is the same with our species, except we cloak ourselves in a veneer of caring civility.

Wonderful writing.


Beccy.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Hmm. The life of a dog can be very enjoyable, until the moment you get called on and animal control is hot in pursuit. It has happened and have been thankful for the backyard. The only time i have ever had the full love of a cat is when i completely ingnored her. I think your poem is a great one. Maybe stay a dog and hope for the occasional bone and warm sunfilled nap. Im looking forward to it.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cats don't like confronts, they run at the sight of displeasure. But if we corner them then comes out claws! If you are fond of one type of animal you are most likely an animal lover and just have to open your heart a little wider to love the rest.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
After an exhaustive study the committee has determined that there are exactly seventeen ways to skin a cat. While this number is interesting and considered accurate by peer review , the most important finding was that the cat will cooperate in none of them. The current theory for this is attributed to the extreme modesty of cats. Research in this area is halted at the request of the administration and for want of funding.

Posted 5 Years Ago


what an intriguing write you have said the big bad wolf.......all the better to read you with........ N

Posted 5 Years Ago


it is definitely a poem which is an interesting read, while reading it i was smiling for a little bit because it has been related to one of my poems the peter pan syndrome so reading something about it makes me smile especially the last line when will I start to be a man?

Posted 5 Years Ago


Interesting piece, a little pro and a little con. I'm a BIG animal lover, and I have three cats...that being said, I have come across people in my life who quite despise them and feel they cannot be trusted. I feel the same way about some people. I guess its all in what you know. If you've been partial to dogs most your life, that's cool too. All I know is that I wouldn't want to live in a house without one - or the other!

As for the stink-eye you're getting from your room-mate's cat, it sounds to me like he's tying to figure you out. Either that or he just doesn't care to. That's the thing about cats. You just never know.



Posted 5 Years Ago


RomaineCoppola

5 Years Ago

Hahaha this is an awesome review, thank you:)

However, although I usually believe in.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 18, 2018
Last Updated on April 18, 2018
Tags: Romance, Cats, Love, Poetry

Author

RomaineCoppola
RomaineCoppola

Toronto, Canada



About
TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA I think writing is the purest form of self-expression. There is no middleman between your heart and your words. Music has an instrument, dance has your flexibility, and sin.. more..

Writing