Sonnet 4

Sonnet 4

A Poem by Rosa Carlyle-Mitchell
"

My first love sonnet. Based on, in the words of Sting: if you love somebody, set them free. Choosing to return is love or lovely.

"
I listen to this sound down in my heart. 
No butterflies flutter; a falcon departs. 
Inside me breaks this windy avalanche 
as it flies to a higher, ribby branch. 
I see the freedom of this falcon's flight
in its shrewdness, caprice, and love-beaks bite. 
I wear the glove to which it plummets,
bounding fast, from misty, submerged summits.
But I fear this feeling will fold or flee,
sealing the feathers that once lifted me. 
Falcon, don't forget me from that far view,
Because you'll lose yourself as I lost you.
So despite my dreaded scares as you shrink
into the distance, "you love me", I think. 



© 2012 Rosa Carlyle-Mitchell


Author's Note

Rosa Carlyle-Mitchell
I have an incredible image in my head. I'll be glad if you do to! So tell.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

oooo great job. I like this sonnet compared to the other ones. With that said give John Keats's "Ode to a Nightingale" a read. I think it would help.

Posted 11 Years Ago


yes, i have an image...and i see the falcon as the lover...great metaphor.

if there is really love, it will fly back to you..if there is really love, the lover will fly back to you.

the harder we grip, the more we lose the grip on a significant other.

really well done sonnet!

jacob

Posted 11 Years Ago


Rosa Carlyle-Mitchell

11 Years Ago

A big thanks Jacob. You have re-articulated my intention :)

I think sometimes i take i.. read more
In my head this is a poem about an idea, a thought, the motive unknown, but it is shrouded, dark and from the inner most region of the self. Fear of loss of those intense deep idea or desire that one might have been so proud of once upon a time or gloated in. Yeah it's probably in my opinion some sort of emotion, now lost that has left the author scared. I might be totally off but the fact that reading this amazing poem made me think so deeply proves that it is such a great write. I am a big fan of your writing style, the way you chose to word your poems and the fact that you're so cool about it. You don't come of as a know it all, someone with a writers ego, but you seem very down to earth and it reflects in your poems. You are indeed a true professional at what you do. Loved this piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Rosa Carlyle-Mitchell

11 Years Ago

It makes me so happy that you like my style of writing. I've never known if its just plain weird or .. read more
This speaks to me of selfl-love and the possibility of getting lost within yourself. I see a renewed self awareness, you are indeed a butterfly at the end. I could be way off, but that's where my imagination took me. Nice read, beautifully written.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Rosa Carlyle-Mitchell

11 Years Ago

It definitely pertains to both self and other love! Self love enables you with the capacity to love .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

650 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 16, 2012
Last Updated on December 17, 2012
Tags: sonnet, love, fear

Author

Rosa Carlyle-Mitchell
Rosa Carlyle-Mitchell

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa



About
I write because it's the right means. For me. I've got plenty in me for 20. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Electric. Electric.

A Poem by s y e


~ Refreshment ~ Refreshment

A Poem by