Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by MindCage
"

Six teens. Three new students to the school, who each get their own senior mentor.

"

Prologue

 


 

My name is Caylee.

I’m not sure when it started, or even started at all, more of it had always been there.

I don’t know how to control it, how to use it, or how to stop it once it starts.

When I feel a surge of emotion that’s too big to control, it starts.

Sometimes I calm myself down, sometimes other people do, sometimes it goes on and on until I forget what made it start.

It’s not like I turn into a giant green guy that catch a bullet in his mouth, or turn invisible. I can’t read minds but something close to that.

When I get mad, or depressed, scared or worried, things start to fly. I think its telekinesis or something like that, I’ve never been much of a comic book person.

My aunt knows, and that’s it.

I live with her in the mountains of Colorado, in the middle of nowhere. I don’t have any friends; up until two weeks ago I was homeschooled. Then my aunt got a new job. I never wanted to go to public school, but it really didn’t matter what I wanted, so here I am.

I was going to go to Colorado Hansen Boarding School. I was going to be living with people I didn’t know, want to know, or even want to see for the next ten months.

 

“Carson!” My sister’s voice called up the latter to my attic bedroom. I rolled over and fell off my pile of blankets of a bed.

I had four brothers and five sisters. Only three brothers and three sisters lived in the house along with my mom and uncle.

I shared a room with the youngest brother; Trance was curled up in a small ball in the corner of the brick room. Winter just ended and not much heat had gotten into the room so it was still cold.

“Trance; c’mon buddy, school’s a’ waiting.” I pulled myself up and picked up the blanket from his twelve year old body. He moved around and faced the wall, then realized it was colder there. He flopped on his back and gave a heavy huff.

“Get dressed, we’ll get something to eat on the way.” I told him as I grabbed my car keys and wallet, with my boots and jacket. I had a late night the night before so I was still in my clothes from yesterday.

When I dropped from the latter, I heard a squeal. I didn’t know where it came from, but it didn’t sound like anything I knew.

I felt a small tingle on the palm of my hand; I looked down to see a tiny flame had agitated. The only thing I did was look at it in familiar confusion, it happened when I felt caution, or fear. Like the fight or flight instinct. I could control it, but I didn’t know how it happened. I closed my hand over the flame and it went out. I sighed. And today was the first day of a new school, one that I have to live in with my little brother and over five hundred other people that I didn’t know.

“C’mon Trance!” I called up the latter.

 

Heavy music filled the stairway as I walked up them, blind. There was no light and there wasn’t anything to hold onto, so all I had to guide me was the feel of the next step.

I took them two at a time as I hopped.

I laughed as I opened the door at the top, at the sight of the fledglings face’s as the saw me collapse on the burnt and trashed carpeted floor. The smell of pot and other smoke filled my nose and mixed with the sound of the heavy metal. I heard laughing and looked up, three of the people I smoked with was staring down at me, I smiled and laughed with them joined them of the broken tan (I think it was white at one point) couch.

“Maggie! What the hell was that?” A guy came out of another room and I froze. My smile fell into a snarl and a glare started on my face.

As the guy caught my gaze he froze as well.

“Go home, no one wants you here, and I sure as hell don’t.” He paused for a second, muscles tensed, ready to talk back. But then I watched him rethink his comment and he simply nodded. He walked over to the door I had just burst from, and he fell down the dark stairs.

“Frank…” The guy sitting next to me called out, then looked at my glare and stopped, sitting back.

“What happened between you two? I thought you were going out.” I slumped back against the broken couch and lit a cigarette, inhaling deeply.

“I told him I was moving, some stupid boarding school in Colorado, and he freaked, he dumped me.” I shrugged and exhaled.

 

I woke with a sigh and a smile on my face. I didn’t know what to think about the body lying next to me in the motel room in the middle of nowhere, but I knew it was helping me a lot more than any more of my friends could.

The body next to me was facing me, a blank stare and glazed over eyes, the look of lust and happiness painted there in the white-green irises that stared at me. An open-mouthed smile upon his cool blue lips, he lay unmoving. I looked at his purple and blue poke-a-doted neck where my lips had sucked and knew that if I put the tips of my figures at the base of his jaw I would feel no pulse.

When I try and recall the night’s events, it was a blur. I remembered walking into a bar, then meeting the man that lay dead next to me, then we ended up here. When I kissed him a rush of energy rushed from his lips to mine, cool and warm, burning them colder than the tops of mountains. 

The feeling of draining someone of all their life energy is more exciting then I could explain, a lot of people would say it was wrong, but I never really let any of that get to me.

I need the life energy of humans, because if I don’t feed, I die.

And dying isn’t something that I plan on doing anytime soon, but for now, I need to get ready to go to school.

 

I rubbed at my eyes when I woke in my bed. The sound of my mom’s whistling came up from the vent along with the smell of bacon and gravy, I smiled and stretched my hands over my head. I stood and fixed my PJ shorts and pushed up the sleeves of my hoodie.

“Clare, are you eating?” My mom asked as I came down the carpeted stares of my house. I answered yes as I yawned. Mom smiled at me then kissed me on the head.

“You start school today, I’m going to miss you so much.” She looked at me with pride and love, I laughed and smiled.

“I know mom, I’m going to miss you too.” I took the plate she handed to me; filled with bacon, toast, cheesy eggs and pancakes.

“I can’t eat all this.” I laughed.

“Well, eat as much as you can, you can give the rest to Mannie.” At the sound of his name, my eight year old Dachshund popped his head around the corner then at the sight of me, he came running.

I ate as my mom’s boyfriend and she packed the car with my things, I finished and didn’t bother to change my clothes. I sat in the back set with Mannie as John drove three hours out of town to the boarding school I started last year.

 

                Name: Crocker, James

                Age: 17                 Date of Birth: 05-24-96

                Height: 6’’ 4        Weight: 165Lb

                Room: Galen Building, Floor one, Mid-wing, 12 Roommate: Parris Holden

                Charge:

                Name: Margret, Panlin

                Age: 16                 Date of Birth: 05-24-97

                Height: 5’’ 7’       Weight: 150Lb

                Room: Margret Building, Floor 5, West wing- Top Room.

                “Man, this chick must be loaded.” I spook out loud as I read over my “charges” class schedule. The only thing that the information packet didn’t cover on this Margret chick was a picture.

                Personally, I always thought that the whole “Mentor-Charge” thing was pretty stupid, considering that my charge tried to �"literally- kill me, I’m still not for the idea.

                I had my head down as I walked up the stairs to the grand Commons and one hand in my pocket and the other held the pile of papers, I smelt it before I saw it. I felt pressure on my back and heard someone curse.

                I turned with a curious eye and quizzical face to a frightened teen that held a broken cigarette and wide blue eyes.

                “Dude, please don’t be pissed.”

                “About what?” I had no idea what he was talking about.

                “Bro, I just slammed into you with a lite cig, are you wearing, like thermals or something?”

                He dropped the cig and pushed back his hair with pale hands.

                Worry and caution sprang up, this hasn’t really happened all summer so I was off beat.

                “Oh, it’s no big deal, I have a high tolerance for pain,” I looked around and licked my lips stepping closer, “Plus, I’m buzzing like a bee if you get me.” I smiled and dropped my lids a little.

                The guys’ eyes got wide and his lips spread to show an array of yellow and crooked teeth.

                “Yeah, man. I gotcha.” He laughed and clapped me on my shoulder.

                I gave a faltering smile and walked inside.

                I gave a small sigh, I wasn’t used to it yet, that’s all; after seven years, you’d think that you would’ve gotten used to the fact that you can’t feel your skin.

                



© 2013 MindCage


Author's Note

MindCage
I'll post the next three in a few days.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I rolled over and fell off my pile of blankets (of) a bed.

Ok, that was fun to read. the writing was a little odd considering I wasn't sure what I was reading as it jumped from one timeline to the next. but each timeline was filled with valuable information and very well put together with descriptive words so I knew what i was reading. All and all a good start wanting me to read on. Things i would fix is the small error that I found tat the top and the font please make it bigger so our eyes don't have to get so close tothe screen to read it other than that it was a good read.
Please be kind and return the love.


Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I rolled over and fell off my pile of blankets (of) a bed.

Ok, that was fun to read. the writing was a little odd considering I wasn't sure what I was reading as it jumped from one timeline to the next. but each timeline was filled with valuable information and very well put together with descriptive words so I knew what i was reading. All and all a good start wanting me to read on. Things i would fix is the small error that I found tat the top and the font please make it bigger so our eyes don't have to get so close tothe screen to read it other than that it was a good read.
Please be kind and return the love.


Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

setting a stage takes time and thought... there are always errors/flaws but you'll take care of them when you need to. Good building so far... sort of "teasers".

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

273 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 9, 2013
Last Updated on November 14, 2013


Author

MindCage
MindCage

St.Charles , MO



About
August 8th, 2015. So, I've had this profile for a while now. I really can't remember when I made this, but I'm sure it had to be some time before high school. And now I'm out of high school, I've gra.. more..

Writing
Chapter one Chapter one

A Chapter by MindCage