Chapter one - Meet your mentor

Chapter one - Meet your mentor

A Chapter by MindCage

Chapter One

Caylee

I was directed to a small coffee table surrounded by plush brown couches. I sat with my bag next to me and put in my ear buds, as my music started I pulled out a book and started to read.

A few minutes later a girl stood in front of me. I pulled out my head phones to hear her talk; she was pretty tall, long golden brown hair that any girl would envy, light blue-green eyes that most people would think were colored contacts but they were to detailed to be contacts. She had high cheek bones and long lashes, a thin neck and long arms. Her legs were tan and covered in black nylon underneath of a deep red short dress with a black silk button up shirt that was open and tied around her back in a knot. She smiled down at a clipboard and looked at me.

“Caylee Duncan?” She asked with a knowing voice.

“That’s me.” I smiled and stood. I felt sheepish next to a tall beautiful woman next to me. I only had on skinny jeans and a black veil brides band t-shirt on. My hair was long and wavy, always frizzy and it was red, I had freckles covering my face and my eyes were a groggy green. I had no curves and always wore baggy shirts.

“Hi, I’m Laylah, and I’ll be your mentor this year. I’m a junior so this is my first time being a mentor. It’s my job to make sure that you have everything you need and know where to go, when you need to go and how to get there. It’s your job to let me know when you need anything.”

                The words fell from her ruby red lips with ease and in a tune that could put a lion to sleep. She moved her hands as she talked, and all I could do was stair.

                “Any questions?” She asked as her gaze fell onto mine.

                It took me a second to realize that she was actually talking to me and this wasn’t some sick joke.

                “Umm… well I don’t know where my room is.”

 

Carson

                I dropped my brother off for his first day of third grade, he didn’t like the fact that he would be living with people he didn’t know and would only see our mom every other weekend, but he went without a fuse like all of us were taught.

                I drove my Chevy pick up to the high school with all my stuff in the back, I could see the two amps and three guitars sitting in the back, the ones that took me three years and four summers of saving up for, but I got them and now that I have them, I’m not quite sure what to do with them.

                Of course I can play but I’m not sure what to play for.

                My futon was under a tarp along with a few other things, I didn’t know if I would have room for these things in the room they’ll give me but I look forward to finding out. 

                I pulled into the parking lot others seemed to be parking and hopped out.

                I walked into the building and found myself in a tall room with high windows that seemed to go on forever, the room was like a large commons area with coaches, plush dark red chairs, coffee tables and one grand fire place on the far wall that faced the grand commons. Through the tall windows you could see the drop of the hill that the building sat on, along with all the trees of the woods that surrounded the whole seven buildings of the Colorado Hansen Boarding School.

                I sighed.

                “Its gunna be a long two years.”

                I checked my time sheet and saw whoever my mentor was supposed to be, some chick named Clare.

 

James                  

                                I looked around to see anyone that was five seven and looked rich.

                I saw a few but I had no idea who this chick was.

                “Dude, you’re bleeding.” A female voice said from behind me. I cursed myself for not thinking about it before.

                “Yeah, I know thanks.” I tried to find the burn but I didn’t know where it was. I moved my hand around until I came in contact with another hand, or what seemed like it.

                “Chill out, I got it.” The same voice came, I turned to see a girl with long brown hair that had purple strikes throughout its wavy curls, and she had bright green eyes with electric blue eyeliner around her eyes.

                She had on a tank top underneath a black leather jacket and light jeans that hugged her things and loosened around her caves.

                “You’re staring.” She said as she looked at my back, I had almost forgot why she was standing there.

                I cleared my throat, “Um, yeah. Thanks by the way.” I licked my lips.

                “Um, I’m James. You really didn’t have to do that.”

                “No you’re fine, I would hate to have blood on my back all day and no one tell me. It would seem incompetent.” She shrugged and smiled.

                I laughed a little. “Yeah.”

                “Call me Maggie. I’m a sophomore, also my first year here.” She pulled away from me, a bandana in hand, it was already red, and so you couldn’t see the blood on it.

                She began to put it in her back pocket, but I stopped her hand.

                “Here,” I said taking it from her hand. “Let me just buy you a new one.”

                She pulled away, fast.

                “You don’t have to buy me anything. What I have is what I have, I’ll deal with it.” She smiled, but there was something behind it.

                “Alright, that’s fine.” I cleared my throat.

                “Do you have a mentor? I mean, an upper classmen that is supposed to show you around?”

                She squinted her eyes and leaned her head, as if she were trying to remember. “Uh… I don’t know. All I know is that I’m supposed to live her for the next three years… and I have no idea where any of my stuff is.”

                “Whoa, well we can fix that.” I paused for a second.

                “Crap.” I spoke softly.

                “What’s wrong?” Maggie asked.

                How was I supposed to explain that I had to find another girl because a piece of paper told me to?

                “I don’t know why I’d ask you but do you know a Panlin Margret?” I asked looking down at the paper in my hand.

                Maggie looked at the paper in my hand and then took it.

                “Yeah, I’m very close to her, though we don’t get along well.” She pulled out her wallet and showed me her ID as she handed back the paper.

                There, on her ID, place her age, weight, high, and her name; Margret, Panlin.

                I smiled.

                “Let’s get this straight right now; you call me Panlin, Margret or anything between other than Maggie, we will have issues.”

                I held my hands up, palms forward. “Got it.” I said quickly.

Clare

                When I walked into the school, I didn’t know what to think. I couldn’t wait to see my friends from last year that I hadn’t seen over the summer, I couldn’t wait until I started setting up my rooms and to see what classes I’ll take.

                Most of all I couldn’t wait to find out who my charge was.

Everything was familiar in the grand Commons; the smells, the carpet, the couches, even the windows. When you see the same thing every day for four years you began to call it home.

                “Clare, come on, we have to get your information then your room set up.”

                “Kay.” I followed her to the tables that were handing out packets to the seniors and papers to the others.

                “Clare Valentine?” My mother asked at the table. I recognized the teacher handing out the packets as he smiled at me.

                “Mr. Oaklyn, how was your summer?” I asked as my mom was handed a fairly large packet.

                Mr. Oaklyn was the keeper of the exponentially large library we have on campus, it was a whole building by itself. He was always interested in what I had to say, and always willing to lend advice on anything I needed.

                He nodded in acknowledgement. “Well, Miss. Valentine. I hope yours was as well?”

                His accent was always something that mystified me. It wasn’t British, or Australian, but also had a bit of Russian. I asked him once, he replied with ‘the tongue of time’. I supposed he was reciting a poem or quote.

                “Of course.”

                “Come on, we need to get to your room. Have a good day sir.” Her mom said loudly to Mr. Oaklyn.  He looked at her with a quizzical eye brow raised.

                “As should you.”

                They walked off to join her mother’s boyfriend by the door.

                “How do we get to your building again?” He asked.

                “We have to drive there, it’s down in the Valley; we passed it on our way up here.” I replied as the look of annoyance filled his face.

                “Really? Why didn’t we just drop you off there?”

                “Because, I wanted to spend the first day of my baby’s senior year with her, suck it up Jon.” She said as she looked through the papers she had stacked in her arms.


 



© 2013 MindCage


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

she talked, and all I could do was (stair.) the word you want is (stare)

There, on her ID, place her age, weight,( high,) and her name; Margret, Panlin. the word you want is ( hight)

Ok, another interesting chapter with lots going on. it was very well put together and was on point other than that errors I found and the small font it was fun to read. looking forward to more when you have it.
Please be kind and return the love.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Great work so far. I look forward to getting to know these characters better. May I suggest putting some more spacing when you switch from character to character? Let me know when the next chapter is up.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

275 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 17, 2013
Last Updated on November 14, 2013


Author

MindCage
MindCage

St.Charles , MO



About
August 8th, 2015. So, I've had this profile for a while now. I really can't remember when I made this, but I'm sure it had to be some time before high school. And now I'm out of high school, I've gra.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by MindCage


Chapter one Chapter one

A Chapter by MindCage