Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Religion

Religion

A Poem by Rose Diamond
"

I am a Christian, and I am a believer, but why must Christianity view everything we do as a sin?

"
I was taught to love
I was always told to love my neighbor
I lived by the rule
"Do onto others as you would have them do onto you"
And it was engraved into my mind
to love the people around me
the way God loves his children

I believed that God loved everyone
That He was a caring, devoted being
who created us as equals
and loved us in that way

Oh, how naïve I was


How foolish of me to believe that we are equals
How stupid of me to even think that God loves us all

Truly He only smiles upon those who love the other sex
And He adores only those who attend weekly mass
He favors His children who preach His word
Onto ears that don't wish to hear it

His grace is only bestowed upon you if you are pure
He accepts you only if you believe in Him
He denies affection to those who want to express themselves
To the people who wish not to have children
Or cannot even have any of their own

If you're gay
or un-pure
If you aren't a churchgoer 
Or you have conceived out of wedlock

You obviously aren't worthy to be looked upon by the Lord

These are the lessons taught to me in school
That are written in the Bible
And influence the decisions
And the hatred
Of many around the globe

This is not the God I know

This is not the God I love

This is the God portrayed in a book written 3000 years ago
The God that is spiteful and unforgiving

Why is this the portrait we view and worship?
Why do we regard Him as Hatred?
Why is He seen as Unloving?
We should see Him as Goodness
As Grace
As Faith

And as Love

© 2013 Rose Diamond


Author's Note

Rose Diamond
I wasn't too sure about the actual writing in this one, but I really wanted to get this message across.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Religion has brought many bad things like the crusades, or the Salem witch trials. But, it has also given people hope when they need it. The Bible was wrote by man and has been translated many times in history. So, it is bound to be full of misleading advice, but also some great advice. A very good write indeed Rosie! The question is man the imperfection that causes pain, or is religion?

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Rose Diamond

10 Years Ago

For me, I find it very hard to see the positivity of religions when is schools these days, they're b.. read more



Reviews

Despite my atheism, I must say that I found this to be quite satisfying, it touched upon some of the reasons many people become atheists, while still providing a defense for GOOD Christianity. But, I must say that I don't believe that GOOD Christianity will ever exist, as there are very few GOOD Christians out there. I believe that religions were created to fulfill the agendas of the nationalists. Its been shown in ACTUAL history all the time, for instance, Hitler wanted to exterminate the Jews not because of their religion, their Judaism was just an easy way to group them, he wanted to rid the world of the Jewish population because they were an easy scapegoat for the loss of WWI. Nationalism was on the rise, and antisemitism was already rampant throughout Germany. Despite nationalism not being "a thing" in the days that the bible was written, it was an idea, a state of mind, that of the purist. People needed a reason for everything, so instead of the current approach of science, or the Hitchhiker's approach of building a big computer, and asking it the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything(the answer to which is 42, btw), they wrote a big science fiction novel. In this novel, they sprinkled their agenda(homophobia, nationalism, etc.), and effectively put said agenda into the minds of modern man. So, in short, I like the poem, and I like that you're one of the few GOOD Christians out there.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

First off, I'm a believer so of course I found the lyrics obnoxious. It's annoying when people choose to trash my God without properly learning about Him first.

But this poem was obviously not for written for people like me, so with that out of the way...
It lacks a sense of rhythm and grace. I think a little Iambic Pentameter might be helpful. Try not to force the words out, but let them flow. In other words, push your agenda aside, bring your emotions to the forefront.
It needs to be more about what you "feel", not what you "think".

Also, pretty much every writing book I've read suggest that you not be "preachy". This comes off very "preachy".

That just my two cents, take it or leave it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rose Diamond

10 Years Ago

(Please ignore any spelling errors, my keyboard is broken)
Nire

10 Years Ago

Hmm, this was the line I think that threw me off:

This is the God portrayed in a book w.. read more
Rose Diamond

10 Years Ago

I do appreciate your honesty, I'd rather have someone be honest to me than to lie and give me false .. read more
First, I commend the bravery of your pen. This is a very sensitive subject for so many. Nonetheless, you were able to get your message cross in a clear, respectful manner. Excellent write!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Religion has brought many bad things like the crusades, or the Salem witch trials. But, it has also given people hope when they need it. The Bible was wrote by man and has been translated many times in history. So, it is bound to be full of misleading advice, but also some great advice. A very good write indeed Rosie! The question is man the imperfection that causes pain, or is religion?

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Rose Diamond

10 Years Ago

For me, I find it very hard to see the positivity of religions when is schools these days, they're b.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 17, 2013
Last Updated on December 17, 2013

Author

Rose Diamond
Rose Diamond

Canada



About
(Formerly Rosie-Chan) Hi there! My name is Rose, I'm 17, I love theatre, music, and literature, and I am a poet! I am literally the most inconsistent poet ever, but I'm ok I guess. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..